Hourly rate versus Salary?

Conor:
those who do it properly usually being companies where haulage isn’t their main business, i.e a manufacturer who runs their own trucks.

I know a Screwfix driver who gets just over £29k for a 45 hour week. That’s the same, no money to be made on the haulage side. No loading bay nonsense either so 48 hours is the max on average but most seem to do a bit less.

If I were gonna go salary paid it’d be one of the first places I’d tap up.

But no way am I dropping all the way down to £29k :grimacing:

When I’ve done salaried work in the past I have preferred not to work it out as an hourly pay, “if I do 10 hrs today that means I’m on £9ph but yesterday I finished in 8 so I’m on more” etc. you get the same regardless of how long it takes. Having talked to some pollock drivers they were salaried, about £450 a week I think, they started about 6am and we’re usually done by 1:30pm ish. Now that’s not bad for what you do. Of course on occasion it may take longer, waiting to get tipped/ loaded, traffic problems, breakdowns etc. I don’t know what their night drivers get, I did it through agency, but it was just trailer swaps in their depot or a paper mill, It never took longer than 8.5 hrs & they get paid for 10.

Robroy, I worked at a tipper firm where you got a bonus if the lorry made a profit, and as you said, you never knew what that margin was. Case proved was me and my mate did the same runs all week, same number of loads. End of the week, I got £15 bonus, he got nowt.
I don’t want any profit related bonuses, my job is to drive, not to set profit margins and targets.

Salaried workers are usually paid monthly and in my opinion is more suited to office work - the reason being that any excess hours can easily be compensated by crediting hours towards a morning / afternoon or day off. That’s not really possible if you’re a driver since someone will have to cover for you.

Is anyone else a mixture of salaried and hourly paid? I’m contracted to do 35 hours a week but if my shifts total up to less than 35 hours I’ll always be paid 35 hours because I’m salaried. On the other hand if I’m booked to work later than what is on the rota then an overtime payment is made for the extra hours.

Sounds salaried Radar19 to me pal.

Day Rate £■■■; covers first 12 hours, including all breaks / lunch etc, after that it’s per £■■ hour

THE TRANSPORTER:
Sounds salaried Radar19 to me pal.

Is that good or bad?

All depends on the contract.

If you’re salaried you ideally want a contract where POA isn’t used required or allowed, if the company want to pay salary and encourage or expect POA then it’s probably not going to work to your advantage.

Salaried nights you don’t want to sign away your 10 hour right.

Salary usually includes full sick pay, if its a good job you’d hope those who benefit from it would refrain from taking the ■■■■, but don’t hold your breath there, drivers have always been and still are their own worse enemies.

Not all companies expect their salaried drivers to work all hours God sends.

I’ve had well paid hourly jobs, hours is OK so long as…
overtime rate applies after after 8 hours, and calculated on a daily basis, not weekly/monthly, so can’t be clawed back with the odd short day.
Weekends bank hols nights are all paid at enhanced premium rates.
Holidays paid at average rate.

I deliver bricks in and around Perth and get paid AU$95 per load, an extra AU$16 per drop if more than one plus km to the farthest delivery. If I get a third or fourth load in on the day, I get an extra AU$48 for that load. We can also claim AU$28 p/h for pick ups or work that’s not covered by the above. Piece rate encourages efficient working and cuts down on driver’s wasting hours dribbling shizzle to their buddies in the yard or on site.

I went on salary on a specific contract, I was in a position of strength as I was the only one on the firm that could drive a left ■■■■■■ and the lorry on the job was a left ■■■■■■, it was a UK only job too and just as well as the lorry was a Volvo F6 day cab, but it had a special body for carrying mopeds. Anyway it was a proper doss of a job, ten hrs day maximum and that included breakfast, dinner and an afternoon nap.

Like all good things it came to end and I went back on artics, still on my (good) salary, but guess who just about managed to get back to the yard on 15hrs.

I soon renegotiated myself back on to hourly pay.

robbiminator:
I deliver bricks in and around Perth and get paid AU$95 per load, an extra AU$16 per drop if more than one plus km to the farthest delivery. If I get a third or fourth load in on the day, I get an extra AU$48 for that load. We can also claim AU$28 p/h for pick ups or work that’s not covered by the above. Piece rate encourages efficient working and cuts down on driver’s wasting hours dribbling shizzle to their buddies in the yard or on site.

I’d sooner do this than be trapped by the hr .

Salary for me,
Monday I worked 6hrs
Tuesday I worked 8hrs
Wednesday I worked 6hrs
Short week for me,for those on hourly going home after doing just 6hrs may cause a problem,not for me I get paid the same either way.

I think it depends what type of work you do.
If your 7 till 5 then a reasonable salary would suit most jobs.
If you tramp then a salary feels like your on a ball and chain and owned by the company sometimes.

Now I am on salary it works for me as where I work & the contract I do is the same most nights but never pushed dont here form office unless it is needed left alone to do the job normally do about 10-11 hr per night never done more

Last place I worked it was day rate + a little for night shift but maxed hr out every week so not that good a rate or job always knackered