"Hot to Trot",Tony Bradfield

Subby for DT,on Morroco work,how is he doing lately?

toby1234abc:
Subby for DT,on Morroco work,how is he doing lately?

Uncle Tony is doing ok thanks " TC " been back to work a while now since breaking his hip in Tangiers.I flew out & drove the lorry back,then done a couple of trips until he was better,then went out with him on his first trip back,just incase…
He has no intentions of packing up just yet even though the job has been carved to bits like most road haulage.Rumor has it that the Spanish are now going to charge the duty on any fuel bought in Morocco over 200 litres,another nail in the coffin !

All the best Will.

Didnt Spain used to limit the fuel allowance on the Gib border,would get dipped,and pay a fine,as they measured how much you had when entering Gib.

toby1234abc:
Didnt Spain used to limit the fuel allowance on the Gib border,would get dipped,and pay a fine,as they measured how much you had when entering Gib.

Yes Gibralter is still the same…They are hot on the ■■■■ too.

Met tony for the first time on ferry out of santander about 6 weeks ago.Top bloke.Don’t know if i would want to be doing that at his age though. :slight_smile: Mind you if i’m still full of life like him who knows.

The thing is,driving his lorry is his life & he gets " itchy feet " when he is home for too long. He want to carry on for as long as he is fit enough to do so.

I have doubled up with him a few times since he broke his hip last year in Morocco & in my opinion he can still do what is required of a driver.

Will,is that what you posted for an owner driver or an employed driver for Morrocan runs,how long does it take to clear customs,what is the safety and security like in the customs parking and on the road or at your tip sites,do you get any aggro,like kids pulling the red line in motion,or the trailer brake pulled too?
Do you ever get bad tums and food poisoning?Do you guys need a driver? :smiley:

Although not connected to driving in Maroc I often work down there and have found no problems whatsoever, would work there all the time if it were possible, and most of the women are tidy too :wink:

The new king there is quite modern,he has a house on the beach at Agadir,guards stand all day and night at the end of the beach.

will, what does he drive? any chance of some pics and ive seen a truck called marrakesh express, old 4 series scania is that him? if not do you know of it? how many uk drivers still do it? cheers John

Will:
The thing is,driving his lorry is his life & he gets " itchy feet " when he is home for too long. He want to carry on for as long as he is fit enough to do so.

I have doubled up with him a few times since he broke his hip last year in Morocco & in my opinion he can still do what is required of a driver.

Tony was alive and kicking last time I saw him about six weeks ago at Km657 on the 66 in Spain. He frives a blue DAF XF with his name across the top.

As for how many do Maroc these days, probably on a regular basis not too many, and those will by and large be traction only subbies for Davies Turner.

Theres still lots going in and out of Maroc though, Heiploeg (Dutch) even take fresh prawns over for hand peeling then bring em back, a lot of Maroc trucks about too, especially Widem Wimatrans. You will also see a lot of M&M boxes and Hispamaroc too. Theres a lot of fish coming in from Agidir (beats the EU quota) but mostly Maroc fridges. But Brits…

DTs cut the rate a couple of months ago and also started sending trailers unaccompanied from Algeciras to be tipped in Maroc by local traction then reloaded and sent back over. This has cost the DT subbies a serious load of money off their rate and also deprived them of diesel at a bout 57pence/litre - many tell me that the job really isnt worth it anymore.

Cheers, i know its not like it was by a long way. I used to go to John Manns yard with bits and bobs from ireland back in the day. Also i was talking to a G.E.H. driver the other week in Nexts yard in S Hemsal who said they had just done a few loads again after a long spell not going over. Thanks again mate. John

toby1234abc:
The new king there is quite modern,he has a house on the beach at Agadir,guards stand all day and night at the end of the beach.

Yawn Yawn boring, what FFS has this got to do with a trucking forum ■■? :open_mouth: :slight_smile:

brenics77:
Cheers, i know its not like it was by a long way. I used to go to John Manns yard with bits and bobs from ireland back in the day. Also i was talking to a G.E.H. driver the other week in Nexts yard in S Hemsal who said they had just done a few loads again after a long spell not going over. Thanks again mate. John

GEH did a few traction only subbie loads for Davies Turner, so made sod all out of it like everyone else.

raymundo:

toby1234abc:

Yawn Yawn boring, what FFS has this got to do with a trucking forum ■■? :open_mouth: :slight_smile:

About the same as driving a boat has got to do with a trucking forum :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

welshboyinspain:

raymundo:

toby1234abc:

About the same as driving a boat has got to do with a trucking forum :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Precisely the reason I made the comment… Touche ! :smiley: :smiley:
a bit of getting me own back :slight_smile:

brenics77:
will, what does he drive? any chance of some pics and ive seen a truck called marrakesh express, old 4 series scania is that him? if not do you know of it? how many uk drivers still do it? cheers John

Will:

EBAY 005.jpg

EBAY 012.jpg

EBAY 015.jpg

Not sure I would fancy the weekly trailer to Libya at the moment. :open_mouth:

maestransport.nl/page/25/Welcome.html

Maes NV took over Breda Transport BV and others, not the same job as a couple of Belgian blokes who worked with me at VDB will testify. One of them was at Maes for over 25 years.

question for Will,
i quite often see tony’s daf parked in calahonda, is that just a regular ■■■■■■■■■■■■ or does he live there?