Horseboxes

Hi All,

to save me ringing VOSA does anyone know the rules on 18T horseboxes for private use. i.e. do you need a restricted O’license it will be for personal use only not attatched to a business.

The lady who owns the stable that my daughter rides at has passed her test and wants to move upto an 18T horsebox, £120 grands worth of Merc with all the bells and whistles (her husband has more cash than sense IMO)

They asked me to use my O’license but I’m not having it as the livestock rules etc. would be more hassle than its worth.

Thanks for replies in advance.

No need for an O licence for private use, but I believe you must now use tachographs.
If it is a busuiness, but moving thier own horses then a restricted O licence would do. Don’t need a CPC holder, just prove they have are capable of runnig the vehicle.

N2N Transport:
Hi All,

The lady who owns the stable that my daughter rides at has passed her test and wants to move upto an 18T horsebox, £120 grands worth of Merc with all the bells and whistles (her husband has more cash than sense IMO)

How much are you paying for lessons?
My mum never made enough to get a decent horse box, I ended up building one from an old box van. It was a merc 814, (the horsey lot like Merc trucks, I suppose they can relate them to the cars) But that still ended up at £10,000 and it was a massive improvement on the range of TK’s, D Series and Leylands she had before.

I’ve just called VOSA.

If they are competing in any sort of competitions then a restricted O licence is required.

If they are not competing then no O licence required.

Tacho must be used as vehicle is over 7.5 tonnes.

ROG:
I’ve just called VOSA.

If they are competing in any sort of competitions then a restricted O licence is required.

The other aspect worth mentioning is that the horses carried in the horsebox must belong to the registered owner of the horsebox, if the horses are being carried for another owner it is ‘hire & reward’ and full ‘O’ licence is required.

Tiger.

buy a range rover and ifor williams trailer its cheaper

Fastrantiger:

ROG:
I’ve just called VOSA.

The other aspect worth mentioning is that the horses carried in the horsebox must belong to the registered owner of the horsebox, if the horses are being carried for another owner it is ‘hire & reward’ and full ‘O’ licence is required.

Tiger.

Only H&R if getting something for doing it other than expenses.

Thanks all for the replies, They are going to look at an opticruise scania apparently now :frowning: LOL never mind. I have told them that I cannot drive it due to my love of women in Johdpur’s :blush: and the fact the wife has said over her dead body(mind you that could be arranged) :laughing:

Thanks again!!

ROG:
I’ve just called VOSA.

not true ROG ,a lorry transporting a privately owned horse ridden by it’s owner in competitions does not need an O licence unless it wins serious prize money

ROG:
I’ve just called VOSA.

Should that read 3.5 tonnes Rog?

Shrek:

ROG:
I’ve just called VOSA.

Should that read 3.5 tonnes Rog?

No :wink:

Private HGV Exemption - used to apply to any vehicle, since April 2007 applies to vehicles 7.5 tonne or under

and from what i’ve seen they dont need speed limiters
TKs included

If it for hire and reward you will also need a certificate of competency for equine transport and also the box will need to be checked by DEFRA, so I’ve been told :confused:

Denis F:

ROG:
I’ve just called VOSA.

not true ROG ,a lorry transporting a privately owned horse ridden by it’s owner in competitions does not need an O licence unless it wins serious prize money

I can only state what I was told by VOSA - the guy there said that if so much as a rosette was won then it is H&R

I have called them again and been given exactly the same answer by another person who also directed me to the requirements and regs on form GV74

Rog said;

the guy there said that if so much as a rosette was won then it is H&R

Sorry Rog, I know what you are saying is what you have been told, but it’s not accurate.

If you are transporting horses as a professional (or semi-professional) rider then you will come into the realm of O-Licencing. If it’s only your horse(s) then a Resticted licence will suffice. If you are transporting horse(s) that you are not yours then you will come under Standard licence requirements. It’s not that you are covering expenses, merely that you are being paid.

Tacho; the weight limit for ‘private use’ is 7.5 tonnes. Anything bigger than that requires tacho to be used and EU hours to be obeyed…the usual sticking point is the inability to comply with weekly rest requirements.

geebee45:
Rog said;

the guy there said that if so much as a rosette was won then it is H&R

Sorry Rog, I know what you are saying is what you have been told, but it’s not accurate.

If you are transporting horses as a professional (or semi-professional) rider then you will come into the realm of O-Licencing. If it’s only your horse(s) then a Resticted licence will suffice. If you are transporting horse(s) that you are not yours then you will come under Standard licence requirements. It’s not that you are covering expenses, merely that you are being paid…

Sorry - I should mentioned that they said RESTRICTED O licence if their own horses were going to a competition :blush: :blush: :blush:

from GV74

WHO NEEDS AN OPERATOR’S LICENCE?
1.1 You need an operator’s licence to carry goods (or burden) connected with any trade or
business if you “USE” a motor vehicle on a road with:

• A gross plated weight of more than 3.5 tonnes; or
  • if it has no gross plated weight, an unladen weight of more than 1525kg.

I think the remark about winning so much as a rosette is just someone sounding off. Taking part in a competition with modest prize money is neither trade nor business - its a different mater if someone is breeding and selling offspring or operating a stud of course.

I doubt VOSA are to worried about a few rossette winning people owning horse boxes, othewise they are never going to have enough time to actually do anything else. Because it won’t just be horseboxes, guys that go banger racing often use 7.5 tonne trucks, Amatuer motor racing loads of people with 7.5 tonne trucks. So as long as the truck isn’t used for in conection with a business then I doubt it really comes under and O Licence.

muckles:
I doubt VOSA are to worried about a few rossette winning people owning horse boxes, othewise they are never going to have enough time to actually do anything else. Because it won’t just be horseboxes, guys that go banger racing often use 7.5 tonne trucks, Amatuer motor racing loads of people with 7.5 tonne trucks. So as long as the truck isn’t used for in conection with a business then I doubt it really comes under and O Licence.

I know 7.5 tonners are exempt from the tacho regs if private but are they also exempt O licence regs as well :question: :question:

ROG:

muckles:

I know 7.5 tonners are exempt from the tacho regs if private but are they also exempt O licence regs as well :question: :question:

No anything over 3.5 tonne needs an O licence and tacho is operated commercially.