help!!

hi , im 24 and live in somerset , i know most of you are going to tell me im wasting my time and all that but im determind not to be beaten , i am looking for a company to help me with my funding with my hgv , ive got my provisional and have been shunting and learning for the last 2 years i cant seem to get anybody interested, all i want to do is drive , ive watched my family do it and its kind of in the blood , surely there has to be some drivers who still have a passion for it ?

im young eager and willing , i want to be away sunday to friday wherever it takes me i dont mind its just what i wanna do

please i ask for any help/suggestions that might lead me closer to seeing my dream become my living

cheers

Hutch :exclamation:

hutch87:
ive got my provisional

Finding a company to help pay for your HGV would be hard enough to do even if you already had your car and 7.5tn entitlements.

I would say its near on impossible to find a company thats going to pay for your car, 7.5tn, class 2 and class one.

Pay for and pass car and 7.5tn yourself …then start looking for companies to help pay for your class 2

Get a 2 grand loan, do your licenses back to back. Then get off your arse, put your boots, maps and high vis in the boot of your motor and drive around looking for a start. Worked for me anyway, if you persevere then it will pay off.

hutch87:
hi , im 24 and live in somerset , i know most of you are going to tell me im wasting my time and all that but im determind not to be beaten , i am looking for a company to help me with my funding with my hgv , ive got my provisional and have been shunting and learning for the last 2 years i cant seem to get anybody interested, all i want to do is drive , ive watched my family do it and its kind of in the blood , surely there has to be some drivers who still have a passion for it ?

im young eager and willing , i want to be away sunday to friday wherever it takes me i dont mind its just what i wanna do

please i ask for any help/suggestions that might lead me closer to seeing my dream become my living

cheers

As you’re eager and willing why don’t you do what many other people have done and are still doing, save your money and pay for the training yourself ?

Good luck :wink:

hutch87:

cheers

I assume it is a LGV provisional that you have

Some jobcentres give funding (if you are lucky) if you are out of work for a particular length of time but that’s about it as regards funding

Maybe a family member could loan you the money for training but make sure they know it could be some time before they see it paid back as many, not all, newbies struggle to find more than a few days work here and there to start with - possibly as long as 2 years in some cases depending on what breaks they get

tachograph:
As you’re eager and willing why don’t you do what many other people have done and are still doing, save your money and pay for the training yourself ?

Good luck :wink:

+1, you can forget anyone paying for your license you’ll have enough grief getting a job with a license!

Have you tried Framtons at Shepton Mallet,they have a garage door contract with Garador,for class 2 tail lift multi drop work all over the UK,some deliveries are private addresses,ask to speak to Richard Fry,he is a chairman on the RHA board members.
Or Sparkes at Street.
Gregorys at Cullumpton may help you out.
Vittal pet supplies in Devon.
Arla bulk farm work at Frome,they use the agencies of Bailey Employment at Melksham and Skills Direct at Frome on the Bridge,near the curry house.
Savilles at Bristol.
David Hathaway at Yate,north Bristol.

Another option is to ask some owner drivers that work out the quarries,stop at Nunney Catch truck stop to place an advert,or at Silveys truck stop off the M4 Chippenham exit.
AJ Charlton,wood manufacturing,can they help you out,they are on the road towards Radstock.

Hi mate,

Once you obtain your car licence, you can then jump straight to a class 2 (c) licence. There is no need to apply for a 7.5t.

Once you have the Class 2, i’d suggest getting in for a firm, they would normally, after a year or so, put you through your Class 1 (c+e).

FarnboroughBoy11:
Get a 2 grand loan, do your licenses back to back. Then get off your arse, put your boots, maps and high vis in the boot of your motor and drive around looking for a start. Worked for me anyway, if you persevere then it will pay off.

This is your best bet in my opinion

You say you have been shunting and learning for 2 years ,
Can you elaborate on this…who have you been shunting for? can they give you a “leg up”? (Thats if its shunting as WE know it)

Farnboroughboy has given you the best advice so far I would agree with him.

blimey some big responses , i have my hgv provisional yes should of wrote that properly !! i have been working with a company down my way but unfortunatly they aint in the position to help me fund it , ive been givin a £500 grant from the princes trust , all i want is a little guidance , i dont want charity just a start ill work the dirtiest jobs doing the ■■■■■■■■ shifts if i got to i just want a starting block , i appriciate all the advice thats been givin , i have got my work bag ready just need some one to give the green light and im there ! i have been lookingfor and visiting these companies around my area but will definatly try the ones listed !!

i refer to to the part where someone says save up … its not that i dont want to do it that way but i have a son and a house to run i struggle making ends meet as it is with out having to save for that too !! i have tried family members but only being a small family that put an end to that !!
but please feel free to post if its helpful!! its been a great response and i really am grateful for the advice !

hutch

Wiseman Dairies.

Your in a bit of an awkward position then Hutch really,cant see how you’d get anyone to fund it for you as others have said.
I wish you the best of luck with it anyway and you never know you might just be in the right place at the right time one day. never say never .
all the best,
mick.

K.T Parker

im just mailing all the above mentioned companies !

i dont want to give up !!

hutch

Make a list of all the e-mails or letters you send, then in a week or so give them all a ring or pop round if that is feasible.

A lot of e-mails or letters dont even make it to the person that “hires and fires” especially in larger companies. Thats why they have secretaries to filter out “non-important” correspondance . What I mean by non-important is that the secretary often decides what is and isnt important…sometimes they do this to make their life easier.

Get a folder made up with lots of photocopies of the details of the grant you received from Princes Trust, along with a breif resume or CV, and go knock on a few doors.

Dont discount the smaller family firms they can sometimes come up trumps and often be more approachable.
If one place cant help ask them if they know of anyone who may be able to.

Never rely on one form of communication when trying to find work. Just by calling in on firms you may just be in the right place at the right time.

Just as an example …we took on a young lad (18year old) initially to wash trailers, he proved he was reliable by turning up everyday and working. He was put through his car test and is currently doing his HGV through the company.

Moral is dont reject a mundane job if its in the right industry. You may have to wait a while but eventually it’ll happen
Best of Luck

I think the most likely employer to give you a chance in the Somerset area is Wisemans in Bridgwater. They’re known for putting people through LGV licences.

If you’re around the Bridgwater area, Gerber foods have Sparks and Stobarts pulling for them. Or at least they did the last time I was down there!

Personally, I’d go down the loan and back to back licences route. I’d also start looking for class 2 work to gain experience and then go class 1.

You sound passionate about driving and with a strong desire to do what it takes to get the job done and provide for your family. That’s a good thing. A strong work ethic and passion are big pluses in an interview in my opinion.

Best of luck mate.

hutch87:
blimey some big responses , i have my hgv provisional yes should of wrote that properly !! i have been working with a company down my way but unfortunatly they aint in the position to help me fund it , ive been givin a £500 grant from the princes trust , all i want is a little guidance , i dont want charity just a start ill work the dirtiest jobs doing the [zb] shifts if i got to i just want a starting block , i appriciate all the advice thats been givin , i have got my work bag ready just need some one to give the green light and im there ! i have been lookingfor and visiting these companies around my area but will definatly try the ones listed !!

i refer to to the part where someone says save up … its not that i dont want to do it that way but i have a son and a house to run i struggle making ends meet as it is with out having to save for that too !! i have tried family members but only being a small family that put an end to that !!
but please feel free to post if its helpful!! its been a great response and i really am grateful for the advice !

hutch

So would you /could you go tramping :question: if you have a so ( I take it he quite young ) how would you yung lady be with you being away all week :question:

As no offence but if I was looking to invest a lot of money in training I would expect you to stay for x amount of years & be able to fit into what work I had on

I did meet a young driver bit like yourself but he had 2 young daughters & only wanted day work so he could be home every night to see them

Tesco or mcdonalds…

Get a sat job and save.