help!!

jessicas dad:
Tesco or mcdonalds…

Get a sat job and save.

He say he already has a shunting job depends if he works on a sat or not & depends if he works shifts

Driveroneuk:
Wiseman Dairies.

Yes they paid for my class 2 a few years ago, left before they paid for my.class 1 tho. Wages were good too, i was on 8.15 an hour basic when i left

There is another thing against this is your age mainly due to insurance not impossible but not always easy as a lot like 25 years & above

I would try getting on the buses, now its not everyones cup of tea, but there is a good chance that a large operator will train you and employ you.After a couple of years you can go to a lorry firm and tell them that you have been flinging large motors around and have experience of multi-drop.Simples.

alamcculloch:
I would try getting on the buses, now its not everyones cup of tea, but there is a good chance that a large operator will train you and employ you.After a couple of years you can go to a lorry firm and tell them that you have been flinging large motors around and have experience of multi-drop.Simples.

But he would still need to do the C & CE licence

Dont get a loan ffs.
Get a job in tesco stacking shelves for £8 an hour, save up then fork out 2 grand to get your licence then get a job driving for £6.90 an hour.

hutch have you got any spare money for all this

First bus group,pay for the bus licence on auto boxes,but you may have to pay the cost back if you leave early.They are always recruiting for bus drivers in the Bristol and Bath area.

Lets hope that our man does not take on a loan to pay for training that may very well end with a failure in the driving test.I would expect to pay more than £2,000 for all of the costs involved in obtaining a C licence only.I wonder how long it takes to recoup your costs .There are a lot more drivers than cabs these days.I dont want to rain on any bodies parade but the above is factual.

if truth is told wat has been said is correct i cant beg or borrow or steal i just want a shot the comments that have been written are true , but the fact of there being more drivers han cabs is right but in other aspects the average age of hgv drivers is 40+, i dont mean to be disrespectful but im 24 and willing to do any job any hours and tramping away . the fact is how many other 24 year old lads would tramp away like you boys do ? i asked a few of the lads i know and they said not a chance .

i think some of the comments are unfair , the “mcdonalds or tesco” jibes are uncalled for i work a full time job and provide for my son , id like to think im a grafter and work hard at everything i turn my hand too . i want a shot at following a dream and a passion surely i cant be faulted for that ?

i have had email replies from some of the companies listed in previous messages and they are promising, they havent made any promises or comittments but i have been asked to fill in some extra details so they know more about my grant/situation , i’ll keep those interested posted on any futher outcomes

cheers

hutch

alamcculloch:
Lets hope that our man does not take on a loan to pay for training that may very well end with a failure in the driving test.I would expect to pay more than £2,000 for all of the costs involved in obtaining a C licence only.I wonder how long it takes to recoup your costs .There are a lot more drivers than cabs these days.I dont want to rain on any bodies parade but the above is factual.

But it is also factual that I was in the same boat, I’ve just turned 23 been driving artics for nearly two years. I done my c and c+e back to back at the cost of 2 grand, that’s everything including theory etc, I then for about 3 months put all my stuff in the boot of my car and drove around handing out my CV (had done van driving since I was 18) just looking for a break. I had people laugh at me as expected but just brushed it off. Sign onto every agency in your area aswell will help.

To be honest hutch, email and phone calls won’t get you far in my opinion, you have to show your face. They are going to want to size you up to make a decision whether they are going to let you loose in their 80 grand unit.
My situation was slightly different to yours in the fact I haven’t got a kid and my outgoings are minimal to what I earn but the whole principal still stands. Not easy but it worked out for me.
That’s my story anyway mate, good luck.

From another angle, have you considered joining the TA? The way things are you might find yourself on distance work pretty sooon, the nite trunk to Camp Bastion! Worth looking at anyway. Good luck, perseverance will win in the end.

switchlogic:

FarnboroughBoy11:
Get a 2 grand loan, do your licenses back to back. Then get off your arse, put your boots, maps and high vis in the boot of your motor and drive around looking for a start. Worked for me anyway, if you persevere then it will pay off.

This is your best bet in my opinion

Some on here might suggest choosing a different career path would be a better option :laughing:

Hutch,4624 Movements Squadron are recruiting,at RAF Brize Norton,at Carterton.Age limit is 18 to 55.To start with,it is a two week residential course,then attend once a month at weekends,the role is an operator on all aircraft types from Boeing 747 to a C17,they pay travel costs,a tax free bounty that rises every year you are there.
You will be trained on cargo and passenger operations,and will get sent overseas for a deployment anywhere in the world.
It is lots of exams,and more exams,all results must be 100%,if you fail,they make you start the years training all over again,they call it back coursing,the mates you made move,and are then flying all over the place,and you are stuck in the classroom,from 7.30 am to 19.30.
There is practical tests on mock wooden aircraft,so you dont puncture the skin of a multi million pound aircraft while training.
You can attend an open day,no obligation to sign for 5 years,tea and coffee provided.Apply on line,or give them a call.They do no use the word failure,but use the word defered succes.