Handballing

No forklift, unless specified on notes as tail -lift/pumptruck no delivery did handball before and was expected to be a warehouse assistant as well so now its get stuffed.

Whilst working for a palletways subby I had to deliver a pallet of a 1ton bag of shale. Took me [zb] ages to get it off the truck and up their drive, which was sloping downwards. In the end I got to the end of their drive just inside it and not on the pavement.

They rang later to complain and it seemed odd to them that the company didn’t hire in a hiab to deliver it for them… It was only about £10 cheaper than the local builders merchants too :frowning: Having worked for them too…

Carry 10 tons fertiliser out of a railway truck, stack it on the lorry. Drive maybe an hour to a farm and hammer on the door. Farmer’s wife says, “He’s gone to market today but I can show you where he wants it stacked”. And then, just for a treat, it’s back to the station and do it all over again.
Happy days Mind you, that was a bit better than delivering flour to some of the little village bakeries. 14 tons in one-&-a-quarter hundredweight bags to be carried up the granary steps- about 65 kilos in new money.

SAM_0232.JPGI still do a lot of this,keeps you fit,supposedly!!!

They used to tell me that, too!

stevie dug:
I still do a lot of this,keeps you fit,supposedly!!!

Aye… fit to bloody drop by the time you’ve finished! :smiley:

We’ve got Moffetts now on all our bag lorries; doesn’t just save effort but also a huge amount of time. Still have to do a bit of handball to some farms, and also high street pet shops.

One bit of H&S “logic” still baffles me though. Some of our products are in 25kg bags and some in 20kg bags. When I asked our manager why, his reply was, predictably, “for Elf and Safety” reasons. Now, on a 1-tonne pallet there are 40 x 25kg bags and 50 x 20 kg bags. So that means with the lighter bags, I have ten more chances to trip over the cat, bang me head on the shed roof, slip on cow ■■■■, etc.

Am I missing something here? :confused:

toby1234abc:
What about a full trailer load of tyres by hand.The place i tipped at made a metal chute and let the tyres run down that.

Used to do a bit of that for Pirelli in Burton-on-Trent, nice little number.

Tipping the tyres off is easy. Catching the buggers at the other end is a different matter! :smiley:

We ask customers if there customer requires flatbed or hiab at extra ,if they say flat then on delivery it turns out theres no forks its waiting time charged whilst they unload and driver puts feet up or return load charged ,they had the option !

rigsby:
come on john , tell the truth , you made a t with two flags on the grass verge and bowled them all off the side of the trailer didn’t you ?

Hiya dave if you mean me yes. the best ever bowl off was at newmarket racecorse, good to firm turf.
22 ton of 3x2 on a 32 ft trailer(two rows) 16 mins for the whole load no kick outs no bricks required
MAGIC. good fast heartbeat and a slight sweat…better than sitting in a rdc for hours. iam like you i
wish i could still do it…its a young mans job…no need for the gym after 2x 22 tons of flags a day.

I did 400 2x2’s to newton heath one day(it was across form a pub)it was 60 flags up front in two rows
then 360 in 3 row’s to the back (40ft) i bowled them off in 20 mins, a chap walked across the road with
a pint for me when i’d finished, he told me the 3 old chaps had a wager on how long it was for me to unload.
they’d come up with 3 hours he told me…that was a nice day.specially as i was loading out of johnson and
nephew on grey mare lane.
John

Hi, All
I would think that just about every driver has a "handballing "tale. When I first started on cement deliveries I served my time as a new boy on handball loads, 10t ,maybe 3 times a day to builders merchants. Then came my first load on palletts, 0730 waiting outside the customer , sheets and ropes off, out comes the forklift with a pile of empty palletts and places them round the truck. Two men came out,“right driver ,we want that cement off them palletts and on these”.
“Why not just swop pallets “I asked,” them palletts on your truck aren’t ours and these on the floor are”
Cheers Bassman

I’m gonna do my ‘Uncle Albert’ bit here and tell a tale…
During the war … but not really … When I drove for Swifts I went to a stop in Kent at a small seaside town with a 16’ 6" high tautliner full of rolls of fiberglass insulation (very itchy), The trailer had a bit of metal sticking up and I arrived at the place on a disused airfield which had a circle of old hangars, I did a turn around to park next to my stop and took down all the phone lines with a load TWANG ! the boss at the hangar arrived about an hour later and tried to call for an assistant to unload but for some reason the phones were all dead :laughing: Remember that this was the early 80’s so the 20 quid he offered me to handball the load off was a lot of money and I took it, undid the curtains and started throwing the rolls off then stacking them, it was mid summer and damm hot so halfway through and covered in itchy stuff sweating like a pig I walked in to see him and handed a 10 pound note to him … “You do the other half” I said, his face was a picture :laughing:

Still handball mixed backloads , rolling cages , cardboard on trollies, pallets, rails etc :smiley:
I used to help handball the animal feed into the bryre a few years back :smiley:

bonnie lass:
Still handball mixed backloads , rolling cages , cardboard on trollies, pallets, rails etc :smiley:
I used to help handball the animal feed into the bryre a few years back :smiley:

So that’s what keeps you looking so fit then :wink: :slight_smile:

If you say so :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Always worked hard , & still am working hard :smiley:

stevie dug:
0I still do a lot of this,keeps you fit,supposedly!!!

I’ve thrown thousands of these onto and off trailers & stacked ’ em over the years too! :smiley:

Are you ready for the big bales, bonnie lass ? :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

I`ll get mi coat…

Cheers, anon.

Not many doing small bales now these days, the big bales are a hole different ball game to handle , all machinery loaded now , although I have been rolling the odd ones across the a yard to feed or put under cover :smiley:

A lot of jobs here involve handballing, especially the so called ‘premium’ ones, delivering to stores and food outlets and they dont use roller cages or very rarely tail lifts, the seem to have these long ramps just wide enough for a sack barrow, the drivers have to do everything. I went for a job at ACE hardware some years back and the high pay they advertised seemed fine untill they said it would be so many cents per pound carried on or off the trailer and I was expected to sit at home all day waiting for them to offer me a run … unpaid :exclamation:
I didn’t take it.

Used to deliver Chapati flour to all the indian supermarkets for Westmill Foods. Some were ok and would provide plenty of help. The ones who wouldn’t help used to find alot of bags would split as they were being carried through the store! :smiley: They soon told you to stay out and found bodies to carry the stuff!!!

yeah i still hand ball 6 tonne on and 6 tonne off on friday was ■■■■■■ when i got home

I discovered on Friday that having an agency mate doesn’t necessarily make the job easier…