Handballing

Currently handballin 6 days a week! About 100-200 bags of clean linen in and out and up and down the dodgeyist staircases London has to offer. Oh yeah, and taking the same.ammont of dirty ■■■■ back out aswell. But I love it apparently!

Xdriver:
Hi, I have done some of that, used to drive for R K Browning, most of the loads we did from Arnolds were 20ton, up to 23 when we upped to 32t gross, that was hard graft sometimes, and the worst bit was they used to stick the poly bags together with glue to try and stop them sliding off the pallets. Still, I suppose it kept us fit and worked up a thirst !!

I think the old sandpit in Heath & Reach has closed now, us two must have handballed all the sand out of it :laughing:

martinviking:

Xdriver:
Hi, I have done some of that, used to drive for R K Browning, most of the loads we did from Arnolds were 20ton, up to 23 when we upped to 32t gross, that was hard graft sometimes, and the worst bit was they used to stick the poly bags together with glue to try and stop them sliding off the pallets. Still, I suppose it kept us fit and worked up a thirst !!

I think the old sandpit in Heath & Reach has closed now, us two must have handballed all the sand out of it :laughing:

The old one has but there is one visible from the A5 (Garside Sands-Agg Inds).

Was delivering steel and copper tubing and a lot of the companies, although they have forklifts, decide that it’s just easier to handball it off, and when that happens I’m the one on the lorry guiding it off the back.

A lot of the tips would have been so much quicker if they had lifted the forks up into position and then either the cargo had been man-handled on or hooked on, but they had all the time to waste leaving me to get it in the neck later for being so slow. Traffic delays and queues to get tipped don’t help either…

robroy:
I remember as an o/d in the 80s having to load handball 20ton of tatties on a flat, but to make it worse I was handballing them off pallets from a forklift, I even offered to buy the pallets thinking I could either sell or return them but the [zb] s wouldn,t play.

ka ching same happened to me twice in Dundee, but it was 24 tons and both times the farmer sat on the forklift/tractor thing watching me, the bastadas, the last visit I accidently took out his post and farm gate on the way out, I was so tired I couldnt turn the wheel properly :wink:

hgvhgv:
Currently handballin 6 days a week! About 100-200 bags of clean linen in and out and up and down the dodgeyist staircases London has to offer. Oh yeah, and taking the same.ammont of dirty [zb] back out aswell. But I love it apparently!

You do love it. now crack on bob :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

JLS Driver SOS:

robroy:
I remember as an o/d in the 80s having to load handball 20ton of tatties on a flat, but to make it worse I was handballing them off pallets from a forklift, I even offered to buy the pallets thinking I could either sell or return them but the [zb] s wouldn,t play.

ka ching same happened to me twice in Dundee, but it was 24 tons and both times the farmer sat on the forklift/tractor thing watching me, the bastadas, the last visit I accidently took out his post and farm gate on the way out, I was so tired I couldnt turn the wheel properly :wink:

De ja vue, we used to bring seed potatoes back from Scotland when I did a stint with Graham Tremaco, had a 2800 Daf, handball on and then off when you delivered them, and all that bloody straw to clear up too!!! :frowning: :smiley:

When I was a gamekeeper, living out in the sticks, the bagged pheasant food used to come on a rigid. Usually 8 - 10 ton per delivery. All handballed by me into the feed shed. The driver would stand on the back and put two bags each time on my shoulder. I then walked across the yard, up three steps, through a narrow doorway and restack the bloody lot!

Can remember as a boy often going round neighbours farms if they were expecting deliveries to help handball various loads. Now every farmer seems to have a Manitou attached permanently to his backside!

A tip for palletised handballing; Put the pallet onto the taillift, lower it to about waist height and handball off. Using the tailift as a table is less tiring.

As long as its safe to, I do it

No point complaining about people keeping you in a job :stuck_out_tongue:

Hiya. …1973/4/5 usually 20 tons of paving flags or kerbs from Hulland ward to the Cambridge area
pop into london brick Peterbourough tip Leeds/Wakefield next day load 10/12 ton of animal feed back
to bosses farm. pick up loaded trailer third day for Cambridge/Huntingdon area all hand ball and
many other drivers doing simular.i think in that 3years i never had a pallet load.
in 1977 their was a ship load of sugar tipped in liverpool all the load was handball into nets on the ship
then dumped onto your trailer for the driver to stack…on his/your own.how times change.
John

I used to kid myself that “I needed the exercise” and that it was good for me.
I think there is a EU health and safety on the weight of units we should lift, 25kg?
My worst handballs are furniture and meat carcasses
Arriving at one drop, the manager told me the fork lift was bust. He was so surprised when I offered to handball it that he gave me a couple of cases of their product as a freebie. Nice to be appreciated.
I don’t like supermarket cages. Dangerous and too heavy. Cause of death?..groceries

If you check the employment contract, it may specify the limit allowed to pump truck off, mine is 500 kgs, any more than that, we have to phone in and arrange it with the client. Most of the time pallets are 1000 or even 1200 kgs, tall and bulky stuff.
There is a limit on the tail lift, and on the pump truck.We are told to split the pallet down, but this causes delays on a multi drop.
The clients say, “well, the other, or regular driver always does this, does that for us.!!”
I have had them expect me drag ton pallets of lawn turf down shingle/gravel driveways, and just pop it round the back of the yard/stable/barn or mansion house while they stand there gawping at you sweating like a pig.
Funny how the farmer is always at the market and popped out when he knows a heavy delivery is on the way, i once was told he had left the keys in his tractor for me to drive it and tip myself, i had not driven one since 1985, with all the levers, and handles, i was stumped.

Best handball job i had was in calais,in pidou supermarket.the good old days :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Then tony blair f~~ked it up :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

As a young man driving an old TK Bedford…into which has now gone Staffordshire Farmers wareouse…Chesterfield it was hanball animal feed anything from 25 kgs to 90 kgs bags then go and deliver allround crapholes to farms etc…i was 18 then and fit as a butchers dog…shagged out now …no handball if its not on a pallet it goes back…if you want it you take it off…buddy, :sunglasses:

shytalk:
As a young man driving an old TK Bedford…into which has now gone Staffordshire Farmers wareouse…Chesterfield it was hanball animal feed anything from 25 kgs to 90 kgs bags then go and deliver allround crapholes to farms etc…

Luxury! We used to DREAM of handballing animal feed to farms, we had to get up half an hour before we went to bed, and lick’t road clean wi’t tongue, handball 1 ton concrete slabs up 3 flights of stairs for 3p an hour, and a dog sh sandwich, and when we got home our dads would thrash us to sleep wi’ his belt, and we were thankful for that, but try telling these young drivers today that and they won’t believe ya!!

Yeh ok I’m showing my age :laughing: :laughing:

It’s definitely a pain in the backside when it has to be done, but it’s in the nature of haulage that at some point it will entail “Handballing”. I can’t ever see a time when it won’t, but the less that it is relied on the better for all concerned. Until it’s not needed to be done…enjoy the exercise like the OP. Crack-on.

come on john , tell the truth , you made a t with two flags on the grass verge and bowled them all off the side of the trailer didn’t you ?

I used to handball 80 tons of egyptian and cyprus spuds a day every season in the early 80’s, that kept me fit !!

Handballed them off ships pallets onto regular pallets, and 3 more trailers were waiting outside for me at Heysham docks.

Seem to remember there were 996 bags to 20 ton :smiley:

(couldnt do it nowadays!!)

What about a full trailer load of tyres by hand.The place i tipped at made a metal chute and let the tyres run down that.