Fuel Consumption

Reading a thread about Iveco Turbostars and poor fuel consumption, whats the best and worse trucks youve had for gas guzzling? I had a SedAtki strato H reg no limiter, 14 litre ■■■■■■■ 465 bhp that managed about 4 mpg,on a good day, the axors we are running at the moment, 400 bhp, are doingaround 9-10 mpg on supermarket distrbution work

I had a b-reg 321 man with no limiter that was probably the same around 4mpg
The lowride r420 i drive now does between 8 and 9mpg over an average week

I wish I was driving pre limiter days lol

Old G reg (1989) 350 v8 merc, fully freighted 38t got 10mpg (no limiter) but sticking to 90k in Euro all time

but if in a rush back looking at 6mpg :wink:

last night double decker from Carlisle to Warwickshire, 11.3 mpg Volvo FM 400 (run there solo 15mpg!)

andy187:
Old G reg (1989) 350 v8 merc, fully freighted 38t got 10mpg (no limiter) but sticking to 90k in Euro all time

but if in a rush back looking at 6mpg :wink:

last night double decker from Carlisle to Warwickshire, 11.3 mpg Volvo FM 400 (run there solo 15mpg!)

used to get 10-11.5mpg on trunking from Larkhall to Preston and back. 450hp premium

Before the rebuild, the Cat did about 5.5, but now is up to 6.5 average. They are happy with that!!

Mind you, they have some that average 4, and we shall see how it does with winter fuel. Bet that drops off then.

1980 F12 5-5.5mpg 1987 Scania 112 8mpg no matter what, 1979 Transcon 320 big cam 8.5 & 70mph all day :smiley: not too hot at stopping though. I currently run an FH13 & last week got 6.7mpg, the previous week was 6.2mpg :open_mouth: Maybe its a Volvo thing they’ve always been behind Scania with economy but in terms of your back ache Volvos win hands down. Way too much emissions ■■■■ on any motor thats post Euro 2 & in all honesty most of whats out there resemble a hair dryer more than a lorry nowadays :confused:

Fly sheet

the 54 plate cf 430 is was on was averaging 6.5 but the 57 plate cf 410 i’m on now is getting 7.5 but that is according to the trip computer. bear in mind we are always loaded up to max weight.

Volvo FL6 4x2 tipper = 13mpg
Daf 75-270 6x4 tipper = 9.8mpg
Hino 700 6x4 tipper = 9.3mpg

In 7yrs on the road, the above is my total experience. :blush:

According to trip computer…

x Daf CF (no cruise and broken limiter) 5.5mpg
53 plate ERF 6.2mpg
07 Scannia 480 (manual) 8.5mpg
10 Volvo 460 (i-shift) 8mpg

the best mpg lately, was in a scania r500. average about 9mpg.

the worst was a daf 410, average about 6.5 mpg.

MAN tga 26 440 6x4 with ejector trailer 4.1 mpg 13km round trip stop start all the way running a pto and full weight to the tip and driving on landfill where just not getting stuck is more important than keeping in the green. 6.2 mpg when i go to the tip about 40 miles away.

Actros 2554 V8 on a low loader with a tare of 21,500 kgs, mostly around 7-7.5 mpg, but average down to 6.4 mpg this week due to four combines, a couple were big combines like the one in the piccy, one had to be dragged over the M62, then a smaller fourth one into a healthy southerly headwind down to Portbury, then finished off crossing wales from Lampeter via Aberystwyth to home with 3 tractors :frowning:

Big Joe:
Actros 2554 V8 on a low loader with a tare of 21,500 kgs, mostly around 7-7.5 mpg, but average down to 6.4 mpg this week due to four combines, a couple were big combines like the one in the piccy, one had to be dragged over the M62, then a smaller fourth one into a healthy southerly headwind down to Portbury, then finished off crossing wales from Lampeter via Aberystwyth to home with 3 tractors :frowning:

Did you pull onto Strensham services Thursday night Big Joe I spotted a similar outfit as yours with a combine on it? I have a yellow & blue LHD FH pulling a semi thats grey with a yellow stripe through it, sounds fairly horrid that colour scheme but it looks OK in the flesh.

Nothing wrong with that MPG on your type of work, I’m 21t empty too but very unhappy with this FH13’s fuel economy, had it re-mapped up from a 520 but thinking of having it re-mapped down to a 480 by Volvos themselves, which kind of put the whole you can’t put BHP up by re-mapping argument to bed really does’nt it?

Fly sheet

I get about 9.7 mpg average from a FH 13 440 but I only run at about 34t and restricted to 52mph :cry: :cry:

I drive a Daf 105XF 460 Space Cab AS-Tronic on bulk tipper blower work.It can run 2 PTO"s at time for up to an hour and half one for the tipper and the other PTO runs the lorry mounted blower.
According to the computer its doing approx 7.2mpg one of the other Dafs with only 1 PTO is doing 5.8mpg :blush:

fly sheet:
Did you pull onto Strensham services Thursday night Big Joe I spotted a similar outfit as yours with a combine on it?

Yes twas me :grimacing:

fly sheet:
Nothing wrong with that MPG on your type of work, I’m 21t empty too but very unhappy with this FH13’s fuel economy, had it re-mapped up from a 520 but thinking of having it re-mapped down to a 480 by Volvos themselves, which kind of put the whole you can’t put BHP up by re-mapping argument to bed really does’nt it?

Fly sheet

You must be running an extender at that weight, and I take it you have flip up ramps. From my experience flip ups can account for another half mpg of fuel consumption and more if running empty, although ally hook on’s like I use arn’t ideal if your loading heavy tracked machines all the time. I know some lads running a couple of FH500’s alongside some Cat engined Fodens all doing occasional STGO work and their consumption is very similar to yours with both makes.

Yeah I’ve got a Broshuis single extender with double flip ramps, I had the same before but without the ramps & got over half a mile to the gallon more with the old trailer. Yeah tracking up ally ramps is ok if you have some patience, the big stuff is ok going up but the small stuff is a pain in the arse :cry: I’ll say hello next time I see you Big Joe.

Fly sheet

Here it is in picture form.