Folks who take pics of trucks on the road

Just a random question. Anyone know who these guys are. All were talking pics of trucks from the road. Any info would help. 1) A628 over the pennines. 2) was on the A1M about 20 mile south of scotch corner and last but not least was a bloke just before penrith. And before anyone asks yeah i want to see if i can get a copy of 1 or 2 pics

It may be worth searching for your vehicle on Flickr.com

Loads of these people are on Facebook and regularly post pictures.

who knows one day one of us might get a pic posted up on the net of us taking a dump by the side of the cab in the middle of the night when tramping :smiley:
i once got my pic taken driving for stobarts, i was on for an agency and come back off a run and there were about 5 people all with huge cameras taking pics of the lorries as they came into the yard i thought they were the press or somthing till one of stobarts men told me there trucker groupies, what a shame there were not females among them : (

All ok until they snap a driver texting,on a hand held phone,picking the nose,having a wee in a bottle,wiping the balls with a baby wipe or other things i can not mention while driving.

I met one at the red lion one nite last year. He had drove down from Widnes and was on his way to Dartford in a Ford Fiesta :open_mouth:

I don’t know if I should laugh at them or feel sorry for them, they all look the same as if they live with there mum at 50 year old.

A good friend ofmine is a truck photographer and he certainly is not sad nor living with his mother at 50. He has a collection of thousands of truck pictures taken in over 30years. He gets paid by magazines for pictures of new trucks being trialled by manufactuers and also sells to lorry fans, Stobart spotters etc.

There is even a section of TruckNet that has ‘on the road’ photos taken by folk, it is named -TRANSPORT PHOTO FORUM (MEMBERS ONLY and you never know, one day YOUR truck may even be featured!! :unamused:

Pete.

I’ve put my last two truck reg into google and found pics on ‘spotters’ sites, we aren’t your average haulage firm but I was surprised to find out we were eye candy for certain folk. One ran out in front of me at Leicester forest services last year as I pulled out after a 45 he’d sat and waited for me to move :smiley:
I still don’t get it…

wired4smoke:
I met one at the red lion one nite last year. He had drove down from Widnes and was on his way to Dartford in a Ford Fiesta :open_mouth:

I don’t know if I should laugh at them or feel sorry for them, they all look the same as if they live with there mum at 50 year old.

I am a retired driver who was interested in trucks while still at school in fact I was buying Commercial Motor magazine before I left school I served my time in a local garage and as soon as I was 21 I went onto driving I spent about 40years on the road it was a hobby as well as a job I have also built model trucks for many years and I take photos. If that makes me a sad person in your eyes then so be it but at least I had an interest in the job which is more than can be said for a HELLAVA lot of todays so called drivers. Eddie.

PS 72yrs old happily married for 50 so your prediction was well out.

i came into marks and spencers RDC in faversham kent a few years ago and as i came to the T junction to turn right i saw a guy taking pictures of my truck,i pulled up at security jumped out the cab and went walking towards him with the intention of asking him what his problem was,security asked where i was going and when i replied i was going to have a quiet chat with david bailey i heard out loud WHOA DRIVER,he is not doing any harm he is a truck spotter,so i left it at that thinking each to their own i suppose

My other half takes lorry pics for me when we are on the road. I’m an ex lorry driver,and still work part-time as a TM. I have been a lorry nut all my life, my Dad drove lorries for over 40 years,as have some of the other members of my family. A lot of the people taking the pics are ex drivers,such as Eddie and myself, also people with a genuine interest in commercial vehicles. If anyone thinks the people with camera’s are oddballs, why is there forums such as trucknet with people discussing lorries.
Strange old world, but harmless, in this case. :laughing:

As a truck photographer I thought I would post a few comments from the other side of the camera.

Why do we do it. Well, all aspects of transport are popular subjects for photography. Consider railways, aviation and buses. Car and motorbike shows also attract many photographers. I think though that as there are not so many truck photographers at the roadside they are noticed more. My own passion for photography is landscapes and natural history but also trucks, buses and steam trains.

Most of the drivers you meet out there are pretty sound people, in fact many that I have met have asked me to e-mail them a picture of their truck which I have always been happy to do. There are of course some grumpy ones and some total gits (although train drivers can be some of the biggest gits in my experience).

I don’t consider it sad. I believe the sad people are those with no hobbies, unless you count daytime television and getting stoned. For me, photography gets me out of the house and to some attractive and interesting places.

Although I don’t work in the industry I have been a truck enthusiast since going away with my dad when I was young. He drove furnature vans then later drove for a bakery. That was good, we always had lots to eat.

I work shifts in the railway industry and get most of my time off in the week. My mate who I take pictures with is retired and we get out into Derbyshire a couple of times a week. I have a web site which is stephenpotter.smugmug.com Please have a look and see what you think. It averages around 6000 hits per day so there are obviously a lot of people out there that are interested in looking at my pictures.

I also always attempt to show the vehicles in a positive light and would not post any pictures on the net where it could cause embarresment to the driver.

Just to put the record straight. I do have a girlfriend, she works shifts as do I and we see each other when we can. Thats not too different to being a truck driver is it!!!

I take pics on the road usually American rigs in France and older stuff in the UK beats fulfilling the Messiah Clarksons opinion that we all murder
prostitutes.i do if poss ask the driver for permission/does he mind,never been refused or abused yet, indeed the Spanish love it,extremely helpful.
It’s a hobby, pleases me and on occasions gives pleasure to others so if your getting your pic taken SMILE.

i also take pictures of the trucks i drive,people have said i am sad until i explain,and that is when i am an OAP it will be something to look back on as most of the lorries will not be around then,they will probably be baked bean cans by then,but all in all it will be for my memories

My view is, its a hobby for the folk that do it, what’s the problem?
We all have had hobbies, no harm and I admit I look to see if I have been caught :laughing: but Jackdaw just aint fast enough to catch me :laughing: :laughing:

Well said ERF guy, each to their own. I like trucks, so what.

what i dont understand is why people who are in love with trucks dont just get a job as drivers ? it seems the perfect job for them
rather than taking pics why not try the job out ?

desypete:
what i dont understand is why people who are in love with trucks dont just get a job as drivers ? it seems the perfect job for them
rather than taking pics why not try the job out ?

That’s what I can’t understand about Stobart spotters.

For example - I quite like aircraft.

Learning to fly or owning one is prohibitively expensive for me and I never had the monumental ego (joke!, I mean qualifications) to join the RAF as a pilot.

Compare this with driving a lorry -

Costs a bit but not earth shattering and if that’s your bag it’s not like its impossible to attain the “holy grail” of working for the company they seem to adore.

To me if they love it that much why not do something that they seem to be nigh on obsessed with.

Or perhaps we are the odd ones who are daft enough to do this job and would be better off with a camper van on a motorway bridge and an eBay bought uniform shirt for a few hours instead of getting screwed around at rdc’s and the like.

I’m a driver and do my own fair share of photography of the lorries too, I really enjoy it and I’ve had many people tell me that people have been talking about me (in good light) at Truckfest Peterborough this year for example and have made very good compliments towards my photos. Most photos are taken in the services while I’m having a break etc and others are actual organised shoots and I’ve made quite a tidy living for it which I’m not afraid to admit.

Check out my page, you may well have been snapped! - fb.me/SamMillarTransportPhotography

PS, as for the guy ‘before Penrith’, was it near Killington Lake/J37? If so I know who it will be.