Employers responsibility

Tomorrow I know that I am going to be allocated a 7 year old DAF 18 ton to drive a route of 200 miles…rural and B roads…with about 12 jobs.
This truck is fine apart from the seat suspension damper…it just doesn’t work.

Last time I drove it I felt sea sick…every time I went over a bump my feet flew off the controls…I even hit my head on the ceiling once…I managed to jam a hard hat under the seat frame which helped a bit…

Apparently it needs a new seat which is too expensive.

Any suggestions are welcome…don’t want to resign and don’t want to be sacked.

Wtf?? Say if there is dust on the floor? Call the Geneva convention?

Heisenberrg:
Any suggestions are welcome…don’t want to resign and don’t want to be sacked.

Easiest way…

To avoid all the brown stuff is throw a sicky.

As you’ve mentioned before on here, your lot are somewhat lacking in driver management skills.

I’ve defected seats before and argued it successfully with planners who whine about it.

You really don’t want lower back problems as you get older.

In your position I would refuse to drive it, defecting it as unsafe (which it is if you cannot keep your feet on the pedals) and put the ball in their court.

I would go and get a decent job.

Here’s the problem, if you won’t drive it… They can probably get someone who will :confused: unless you make it a problem for the employer then they won’t bother… As said above, you don’t want to end up with a bad back…

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

Defect it then near miss it as you lose control when your feet leave the pedals, if they still insist on sending you out ask for a written reply to your defect sheet stating that it’s ok to drive and they take full responsibility for any accidents.
I spent three days in a Scania garage when a dust cart air valve kept cutting out and showing zero pressure, I was told there was the correct pressure there but they wouldn’t pay for the replacement part but I still refused to drive the heap.stick to your guns.

A bit obvious maybe,but is there a lever which stops vertical movement of the seat.You could set the seat at whatever height suits and it should stay there.

I must admit ours are pretty good at fixing stuff , though I do think that’s because you go through fleet ( who don’t give a ■■■■ about how many loads in a day you get done ) £ rather than the planner who’d say are you happy to drive it , and hope your daft enough to say yes

Gidders:
A bit obvious maybe,but is there a lever which stops vertical movement of the seat.You could set the seat at whatever height suits and it should stay there.

Yes - that’s the damper he mentioned, which apparently doesn’t work…

Richard8:
Defect it then near miss it as you lose control when your feet leave the pedals, if they still insist on sending you out ask for a written reply to your defect sheet stating that it’s ok to drive and they take full responsibility for any accidents.
I spent three days in a Scania garage when a dust cart air valve kept cutting out and showing zero pressure, I was told there was the correct pressure there but they wouldn’t pay for the replacement part but I still refused to drive the heap.stick to your guns.

There are clear guidlines about how the defect reporting system is supposed to work. The driver reports a fault, someone who’s opinion/decision is qualified & respected then decides the correct course of action. Because all of this is ‘supposed’ to be in writing then culpability can all be sorted out if/when it all goes pear shaped.

If/when you report a fault & in your opinion the vehicle is unsafe, if you then operate that vehicle without the written confirmation that it is safe to do so you are in BIG trouble if/when it all goes buttered side down.

It is much easier to insist that they follow the defect reporting guidelines than it is to risk your job/reputation/freedom because the seat might be a tad uncomfortable for your liking . . . . Don’t you think?

Wedge a block of wood under it…then let all the air out.

Dork Lard:

Richard8:

There are clear guidlines about how the defect reporting system is supposed to work. The driver reports a fault, someone who’s opinion/decision is qualified & respected then decides the correct course of action. Because all of this is ‘supposed’ to be in writing then culpability can all be sorted out if/when it all goes pear shaped.

If/when you report a fault & in your opinion the vehicle is unsafe, if you then operate that vehicle without the written confirmation that it is safe to do so you are in BIG trouble if/when it all goes buttered side down.

It is much easier to insist that they follow the defect reporting guidelines than it is to risk your job/reputation/freedom because the seat might be a tad uncomfortable for your liking . . . . Don’t you think?

Yes you are spot on I just meant that if you put the onus back on the bully they often back down.

Heisen shouldn’t have to ■■■■ about cutting timber to length so he can go to work safely - defect the vehicle.

I’m sure his boss wouldn’t be able to work sat on a Space Hopper.

Socketset:
Heisen shouldn’t have to ■■■■ about cutting timber to length so he can go to work safely - defect the vehicle.

I’m sure his boss wouldn’t be able to work sat on a Space Hopper.

IME most TM’s ARE sat on space hoppers, they MUST be !

We run Dafs older than that and Daf dont make the seat and ALL parts are available.

eagerbeaver:
I would go and get a decent job.

Check out some of his past posts. I’m not sure he counts as a desirable driver who will have companies falling over each other to secure his services.

Get under the seat and rip the air line off, it’s definitely a VOR defect then as all the air will bleed from the system, when the fitter comes out to “fix” it make sure to tell him to sort out the trampolining too :wink:

Cats can be de-furred in more ways than one allegedly :smiley:

Had a similar incident where I work, one of our units had a knackered arm rest, I know it’s kind of trivial, they commented that we didn’t need one so I suggested I remove one arm rest from every chair in the office so they’d understand how uncomfortable it was.

They never did fix the arm rest though and the truck was de hired :laughing:

In writing, a proper numbered defect will do fine, highlight the problem as dangerous if it is, keep a copy, ball immediately in their court because that defect note is a legal document which they know in the event of a serious accident will be produced in evidence.

They won’t like you for it, so what?, sounds like the worse crap employer in the district by the sound of it.

Half the trouble here, and seeing as you know the vehicle has this ongoing problem even before you’ve been issued with the lorry so your place is one such, is alleged drivers who haven’t got two bloody minutes to live, they won’t write defects out, they sure as hell won’t take the vehicle to the garage to get it fixed, yet seem surprised when defects don’t get sorted.
Own worse enemies half the sods.