Dumfries truck photos

a variety of local truck photos, on this site,

facebook.com/groups/564770760272288/

IMG_0002.jpg

the top two are loads of carnation milk 1600 cases = 16tons,

third one looks like watford gap sth

The load of Carnation on the old Scammell Was refered to a squares 48 X 6 Ounce tins, The beat load was the 96 X 6s less boxes to handball, The other size was 48 X 12s, Ive loaded thousands of them when I worked for Baxters Road Services Later Waugh Road Services, It was all handball, But it was good clean work & loaded undercover, It wasn’t until the late 60s when it was palletised, Regards Larry.

right it was watford gap early 80’s

thanks larry for the info.

Was the Scammell one of T.C.Browns ■■, The did have a Scammell Tractor Unit driven by a bloke called Roy IIRC, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Was the Scammell one of T.C.Browns ■■, The did have a Scammell Tractor Unit driven by a bloke called Roy IIRC, Regards Larry.

I think it is one of T C Browns Larry,if you can look closely at the little writing on the box on the chassis side,I’m sure it reads T C Brown,Lochmaben.Oh! try looking at the screen through the bottom of one of the crystal glasses you sup the amber nectar from Larry,the clarity should be much better,provided the glass was empty in the first place,otherwise what a waste my man !!! :blush: :blush: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Cheers Dennis.

Lawrence Dunbar:

This driver I refered to Roy, He drove 8 wheel Scammell for browns It Had the Michiloti Cab , They got him a D reg S36 Foden but it took fire and was written off & They replaced it with the Scammell E reg These were in the Carnation Livery, Regards Larry.

In 1985,Nestles bought out Carnation for £3:5 Billion and the Carnation head office at Marlow employed around 350 staff,I was told at the time that only around 10 or 12 survived the move to the Nestle head office at St.Georges House Croydon,one of them fortunately was the late Len Pavey who had been the Carnation disribution manager and he continued to be heavily involved at Nestles with transport,what a great chap to deal with,far better than the Nestle distribution team who,to put it bluntly,were a shower of ■■■■■■■ only wished that I had gotten to know Len years before as I am sure we could have got to run out of Carnation,Len was the “man”,straight as a die,if you were honest with him he would back you all the way and as a result our share of the Libby traffic out of Milnthorpe rose from about 30/35% to around 70% from the mid 80’s to when they closed the factory in the mid '90’s although at the time of closure the Milnthorpe factory only accounted for about 3% of our T/o so although we lost some lucrative traffic on our doorstep it wasn’t the end of the world :frowning: Cheers Bewick.

Aye Dennis, Baxters had the North East Traffic from The Dumfries Works, They used to store it on The Quayside Pandon Warehouse, & Re-deliver as & when required, British Rail used to collect all the deliveries for Woolworths shops, & Baxter used to deliver as far down as Hinderwell in East Yorks Plus all the big outfits Like Broughs Walter Wilsons, Jarman & Flint plus a lot more , It was good clean work & Baxter gave it priority over anything else, Happy days , Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Aye Dennis, Baxters had the North East Traffic from The Dumfries Works, They used to store it on The Quayside Pandon Warehouse, & Re-deliver as & when required, British Rail used to collect all the deliveries for Woolworths shops, & Baxter used to deliver as far down as Hinderwell in East Yorks Plus all the big outfits Like Broughs Walter Wilsons, Jarman & Flint plus a lot more , It was good clean work & Baxter gave it priority over anything else, Happy days , Regards Larry.

Aye Larry I believe thats how it worked at Carnation,Len Pavey told me that Browns mainly served the East Anglia area,and of course there was Robsons,Inter City and the Caledonian.When I was at Brady’s in the later 60’s there was always two Caledonian “Carnation liveried Beavers” drivers in the digs at Llansamlet and when they had tipped the Carnation they used to load tinplate from one of the works back to Dumfries.One of them was called “Baldy” Keenan a pleasant little bloke, always had a smile and a good craic as well.There was also an Inter City (Leigh based) contract motor who’s driver lived in Milnthorpe at the time he was a Scot called Willie Ferguson he died suddenly and left a young family,I gave his eldest daughter a job in my office so I was able to help out in a small way as I had known her dad prior his passing away when I was at Brady’s a few years earlier.Cheers Dennis.

Aye T.C.Brown used to do the Aberdeen run as well, That’s when the Foden took fire on its way up there, What a waste of a good motor it was only months old at that time, Regards Larry.

yes this was browns lorry, i got the photo from an ex browns driver bruce emmerson. can i post your comments on our new page .facebook.com/dumfriestruckphotos regards captmarvel ( bill carruthers )

this photo is easier to read t c brown on the battery box.

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

I think it is one of T C Browns Larry,if you can look closely at the little writing on the box on the chassis side,I’m sure it reads T C Brown,Lochmaben.Oh! try looking at the screen through the bottom of one of the crystal glasses you sup the amber nectar from Larry,the clarity should be much better,provided the glass was empty in the first place,otherwise what a waste my man !!! :blush: :blush: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Cheers Dennis.

The Scammell above was T C BROWNS and was Roy’s motor it was bought by McMurdo as they needed a 150 Gadner to replace a MK6 two-stroke in the Foden S21 unit we had. The story goes that T Cs drivers were a bit miffed when after the conversion the Foden with 150 and 20tons o cheese was trying to shove their 180 GUYs up Mousewald Brae took a bit o beating did the 12speed box. Eddie.

erfguy:

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

The Scammell above was T C BROWNS and was Roy’s motor it was bought by McMurdo as they needed a 150 Gadner to replace a MK6 two-stroke in the Foden S21 unit we had. The story goes that T Cs drivers were a bit miffed when after the conversion the Foden with 150 and 20tons o cheese was trying to shove their 180 GUYs up Mousewald Brae took a bit o beating did the 12speed box. Eddie.

The last I heard of Roy which is long long ago he went to work for a builder driving a pick up, ■■ He was a real nice bloke had many a chat and a cuppa in the canteen at Carnation, I allways remember the bloody tiny cups that they served you had to 4 of them to get a decent gulp, Regards Larry.

captmarvel:
yes this was browns lorry, i got the photo from an ex browns driver bruce emmerson. can i post your comments on our new page .facebook.com/dumfriestruckphotos regards captmarvel ( bill carruthers )

Of course you can, Its great to read all the comments , Browns used to bring milk churns in on 4 wheelers from the outlying farms, If my mem is correct im sure one of the Browns family drove a A type Bedford in those days, ■■, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
The load of Carnation on the old Scammell Was refered to a squares 48 X 6 Ounce tins, The beat load was the 96 X 6s less boxes to handball, The other size was 48 X 12s, Ive loaded thousands of them when I worked for Baxters Road Services Later Waugh Road Services, It was all handball, But it was good clean work & loaded undercover, It wasn’t until the late 60s when it was palletised, Regards Larry.

Hi Lawerence
you saying you worked for Baxters Road Services reminded me of one night I ran out of Diesel on A724 between Hamilton and Cambuslang when I was with Davis Bros,about 1966 or 67 a Road very few if any Wagons used it during the Night, sitting there wondering what to do next when I heard a Wagon coming up the Hill it was an old Square Cabbed leyland Beaver of Baxters Road Services a welcome sight i dont think i even had to wave him down when he saw where i was sitting at a bit called the Dalton just Fields nothing else,he would guess there was something wrong and stopped as we all did in them Days, i got a few Gallons from him and it got me Home, inexcusable to run out of Diesel,it was quite hard to get with Davis,unless from a Depot.

Ben

Hello Ben, Baxters only had 3 eight wheeler Atkis at that time , so perhaps it was one of them, The regs were as follows, PGR251,SBR655,& 645NVK If this is of any help, The good old days as you say when drivers would help each other out, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Hello Ben, Baxters only had 3 eight wheeler Atkis at that time , so perhaps it was one of them, The regs were as follows, PGR251,SBR655,& 645NVK If this is of any help, The good old days as you say when drivers would help each other out, Regards Larry.

Hello Lawerence.
must have got my Years wrong the old memory has faded a bit didnt they have Beavers at sometime .

Ben.