Driving /speeding during lockdown

Maybe of interest to anyone.
Mr loophole was on local radio other day.

He said a few things.

Speed awareness courses are cancelled untill further notice.
Anyone caught speeding will no longer have the choice. It’s points and a fine.the law has changed for now.
Also anyone In a crash or speeding he has heard of a small number of insurances refusing to pay out. And do you for no insurance. As it’s official govenment advice. Do not drive unless necessary.

So if you crash 50 miles from home be hard to prove it was an essential trip

Also 3 month hold on mots but where possible you have to maintain condition of your car
Apparently it’s all on his Twitter feed. I don’t use Twitter.
Along with other rules to obey.
And because it’s offical government advice there’s no way to appeal anything.

I know the insurance companies will always try to wriggle out of paying so i’m not surprised.

I’m still working and my yard is 40miles from my house (tramping so only once a week) so i have a letter from my employer to cover me if stopped
I also carry it on my person not in my car so if i’m in an accident it doesn’t get lost/burnt/left behind :open_mouth:

Seems like 50 is the new 30 during lockdown.
Cars permanently up your backside and crazy overtaking, whatever speed you’re doing

In all my years i have never known it so bad on the roads as it is at the moment.

Nearly 1,500 drivers were caught speeding on Greater Manchester’s near deserted roads in just SEVEN DAYS during coronavirus lockdown - one topped 129mph

Someone else was clocked doing 81mph in a 30 zone.

Manchester Evening News

moomooland:
In all my years i have never known it so bad on the roads as it is at the moment.

Nearly 1,500 drivers were caught speeding on Greater Manchester’s near deserted roads in just SEVEN DAYS during coronavirus lockdown - one topped 129mph

Someone else was clocked doing 81mph in a 30 zone.

Manchester Evening News

I tipped in Manchester not last Friday the Friday before and I couldn’t believe how busy the roads were and how many idiots were flying about at racing speeds - a long way away from being deserted it wasn’t far off business as usual.

The roads around Manchester are a race track at the best of times, you take your life in your own hands on certain stretches of the M60.

Have noticed it all over though cars flying up the M1 out of Leeds only to either slam on the anchors when they hit the smart motorway or crack on till they get a flash- don’t understand the mentality.

As above yes the roads up here are quiet but those that are still out using them seem to be complete ■■■■■■■ idiots. Had two near misses this week alone on country roads where middle aged men in German cars have been driving well beyond their abilities.

Someone was caught doing 151 mph on m1.near London.
Altohough I heard he abandond the car and ran off.never caught. Although it’s all on video and I hope they catch him. Throw away the key n scrap in his car

red lights are now optional for some of us here so long as youve looked for plod sitting hiding first… :slight_smile:

edd1974:
Anyone caught speeding will no longer have the choice. It’s points and a fine.the law has changed for now.
Also anyone In a crash or speeding he has heard of a small number of insurances refusing to pay out. And do you for no insurance. As it’s official govenment advice. Do not drive unless necessary.

Also 3 month hold on mots but where possible you have to maintain condition of your car

Pish, pish and more pish.

The law (regarding speeding) has not changed. You (as a driver) never had the choice of opting for a course rather than points + fine - it was always entirely down to the police, and still is. There is no right or entitlement to a course rather than a ticket.

No-one has been “done” for no insurance due to being on a non-essential journey. It matters not how far you have driven or the purpose of said journey (other than the existing “Social, Domestic and Pleasure”, “Commuting” and “Business” classes of use).

Regardless of any “hold” on MoT tests, you as the driver have always been liable for defects on your car at the time you are using it (even if it was MoT tested only minutes earlier), so no change there. The various offences of using a vehicle with defective tyres, brakes, lamps or structure are unchanged (along with the penalty points that go with them) remain unchanged - all that has changed temporarily is the requirement to have passed an annual test.

I suspect Mr Loophole is simply trying to drum up a bit more business.

Roymondo:

edd1974:

Pish, pish and more pish.

The law (regarding speeding) has not changed. You (as a driver) never had the choice of opting for a course rather than points + fine - it was always entirely down to the police, and still is. There is no right or entitlement to a course rather than a ticket.

No-one has been “done” for no insurance due to being on a non-essential journey. It matters not how far you have driven or the purpose of said journey (other than the existing “Social, Domestic and Pleasure”, “Commuting” and “Business” classes of use).

Regardless of any “hold” on MoT tests, you as the driver have always been liable for defects on your car at the time you are using it (even if it was MoT tested only minutes earlier), so no change there. The various offences of using a vehicle with defective tyres, brakes, lamps or structure are unchanged (along with the penalty points that go with them) remain unchanged - all that has changed temporarily is the requirement to have passed an annual test.

I suspect Mr Loophole is simply trying to drum up a bit more business.

@Roymondo

I think the point about the insurance is more about if you were involved in an accident and the insurance company may try to wriggle out of paying up if you cannot prove your journey was essential.

All the other points you mention i agree with :smiley:

I know it’s you’re job to keep your car
Legal but a lot of folks have there cars
Serviced by garages ,
Are they open for repairs ? As we rang for a
Service for my mrs car as it’s under warranty , and we’re
Told there only doing emergency work
& ford would be ok with any future warranty
Work even if car hadn’t been serviced as per
Schedule as they knew the situation
And can’t see ins companies / car dealers
Being awkward because if for instance
They refused a warranty claim by my
Mrs I won’t be buying another car from
Them , same as goes for ins

Lets not get all snowflakey, yes it was 151mph but no bunnies or polar bears were harmed…[emoji2369][emoji2369]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

RIPPER:
I know the insurance companies will always try to wriggle out of paying so i’m not surprised.

I’m still working and my yard is 40miles from my house (tramping so only once a week) so i have a letter from my employer to cover me if stopped
I also carry it on my person not in my car so if i’m in an accident it doesn’t get lost/burnt/left behind :open_mouth:

Ever thought about getting a couple of photocopies of it, just in case?

WhiteTruckMan:

RIPPER:

Paper costs money mate :smiley:
But yeah i did.
The way i see it i only need the one that’s with me all the time :sunglasses:

Dozy, as far as dealer services goes. I rang my dealer JCT600 who’s showroom I knew was shut, however one of the techs was manning the phones from home and told me the manufacturer (VW) are extending the service window by 180 days before it invalidates the warranty, he also said atm they are intending to resume routine service work from W/c 25th May (spring bank holiday) with the 1st appointments on the 26th.
As mine is due it’s 1st oil service on 10/5 and is on a fixed prepaid service plan I’ve booked it in for the 1st available appointment, on the understanding that if the situation changes the service could be moved to a different date or cancelled. So it might be worthwhile trying to phone your dealer and finding out what position is with the manufacturer regarding service windows/warranty’s and what they’re planning to do regarding servicing. I’m also aware that my dealer is doing repairs and service work for key nhs workers

Here’s a story from down under (and I personally witnessed some of these exchanges on police scanners, so shoot me dead if you accuse me of bull shine.) This is the state of the of what we have selected to protect us.

nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-t … 65oOhgboiw

You are on your own people. Begin to believe.

RIPPER:

WhiteTruckMan:

RIPPER:

But yeah i did.

Fair play, you taking precautions for an unseen situation…but Christ, I’m sure my employer would replace it if my car had gone up in flames!

manicpb:

RIPPER:

WhiteTruckMan:

RIPPER:

But yeah i did.

Fair play, you taking precautions for an unseen situation…but Christ, I’m sure my employer would replace it if my car had gone up in flames!

I’m sure mine would also…but how would you justify your journey to the emergency services who would arrive at your burning car? “sorry mate, my authorisation to travel to/from work is in that smouldering wreck”…anybody could say that :slight_smile:

AndieHyde:
Here’s a story from down under (and I personally witnessed some of these exchanges on police scanners, so shoot me dead if you accuse me of bull shine.) This is the state of the of what we have selected to protect us.

A lazy and lying police force is a global pandemic.

Surely a keyless car can be cut off via the key or will automatically cut off if out of range of the key??

idrive:

AndieHyde:

A lazy and lying police force is a global pandemic.

Surely a keyless car can be cut off via the key or will automatically cut off if out of range of the key??

Oh, trust me, there is more to this story than is reported in MSN. The cops have started lying right out of the gate on this one as every patrol car in this country contains a Glock 19 and an M4 carbine.

And they lost two cars. To a man in handcuffs.

But since then, "lessons have been learned "
Sound familiar■■?