Driver shortage? Nope, not for 'new blood'!

I was always very sceptical of the ’ driver shortage ’ from the beginning as it was only ever mentioned by trainers and agencies who can only benefit from people believing it, and now I can say confidently, it’s a myth. Certainly for new blood although I can’t speak for experienced drivers.
Having passed Class C four weeks ago, I have sent out a total of 28 CVs from everything to haulers, recycling plants to the council for the dust carts. Out of those 28, I have had 3 replies. Two to say there are no vacancies and one ’ come see us and we’ll have a look at you but no promises’. So a grand total of 25 cant even be bothered to say thanks, but no thanks.
This for me is definitive proof that, in my area (East Midlands), there is no shortage and would advise anyone that is being told that there is or is one ‘looming’ to asks yourselves who is telling you this and what have they got to gain from it.
By all means, if like me, this is your dream job, go for it! Just don’t believe the hype.

Fair play for blasting your cv out to 28 different places

But did you go in and drop these CVs off in person or by email? I’ve heard quite often emails getting trashed and the best option is to go in to where ever, show your face, and provide a CV.

Also have you not signed up to any agency work? For newbs with no experience especially those under 25 years of age (if you are?) then agencies are the best place to get experience.

Hi Macca.

Nope, all done in person. One company even had a huge sign outside wanting new drivers immediately, new passes welcome. I go in to be told there’s no vacancies, they just leave that up there to get a few names and numbers just in case they need a ‘back-up’.

Agencies aren’t good for me, I need a regular income (mortgage, car payments etc), so they’re a last resort while I still have employment elsewhere. And unfortunately, I’m well past that age:p

I need a regular income as well. And i am agency driver and cant complain. Got C after my licence came back from dvla next day i went to work. Till few days ago i was on a ongoing contract via agency for palletways. Class 2. This week i started class 1 (passed on 24th nov got licence back on 10 th from dvla) for another agency at eddie stobart work for tesco lichfield . So there is work if you want to go via agency. Nsomething is better than nothing. Plus if you go via agency on a ongoing conract and do your job well they will offer you full time contract.

I work on a loading bay and speak to lots of drivers from different companies and areas regularly. Over all they firmly believe there is a driver shortage… I’ve heard it numerous times.

When I passed my class 2, the first day I applied for a job, I got one. Granted, it was an agency, but it was still a job.

Inexperience is a killer. Unfortunately agencies are sometimes a necessary evil, especially for newbies.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think agency work it’s a bad thing at all, it just won’t suit everyone (but what does). I’ve met many agency workers who are decent, hardworking men. I’d just rather do the footwork and try and get that rock solid guaranteed hours and pay if possible now rather than get tied into an agency and then miss out on a permanent position. It would be crazy IMO to give up my current employment (3.5T courier) to the uncertainty of an agency job no matter how much I want to crack on with a new career. I believe there is the work out there if you want agency driving, however the driver shortage isn’t. I remember this being first reported back in 2001 and had been looking ever since but never actually hits and the past few weeks of searching for the job simply confirmed, for me, that it’s no more than a PR stunt for those it could benefit. If my circumstances were suited to it, I wouldn’t have any problem whatsoever doing agency work :slight_smile:

I emailed 4 or 5 companies last night just enquiring about potential work etc for when i get my licence next year. Bearing in mind its a Saturday, 2 replied today stating they do take on new drivers and for me to ring them when i get a licence. Whether thats true or not is to be seen, but i’m optimistic, and slightly optimistic i wont have to go through agencies. We’ll see though…

The very best of luck to you Bagz, for both your training and the work afterwards

I really don’t know what to believe ref a drivers shortage. The so called reasons behind it don’t make sense to me. I’m expected to believe thousands of drivers are giving up their jobs out of principal because they have to undergo new training measures? They must of made some money over the years if they can afford to give up work just like that. I’m particularly sceptical on the shortage when it comes from the mouths and keyboards of the people who stand to benefit the most from one, driver training schools.

Having said all that I’ve still decided to go ahead and do my driving training (C & C+E) and thats mainly down to where I live. I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m located in a decent area to be able to find work after getting my licences. Hope I’m right! Doncaster, Rotherham, Goole, Mansfield, Nottingham, Scunthorpe, Immingham, Lincoln, Sheffield, Newark and Worksop between them all have their fair share of factories and rdc’s and they’re all within 45 mins of my door. I’ve been keeping a close eye on the job market in those areas and although I wouldn’t say I’ve seen anything to indicate a driver shortage, there does seem to be plenty of jobs advertised so I’m hopeful of getting something.

My advice to anyone thinking of training to become an lgv driver is to take what you read online with a pinch of salt and do your homework. Whether there is or isn’t a shortage of drivers, are there the jobs in your area?

I agree that it is more importantly area specific. A friend of mine had never driven an artic in his life (had a small amount of C experience) applied to a fairly large firm around here and did a day out with the gaffer after taking his CV in person and now has a permanent contract with them. With 5 days work and 3 nights out, he took home 570. I’d be happy with that each week!

Johnny Drama:
I’m particularly sceptical on the shortage when it comes from the mouths and keyboards of the people who stand to benefit the most from one, driver training schools.

That is a very harsh statement to make about driver training schools. Very few trainers offer their services based upon driver shortages. Perhaps the brokers do but they are clearly not driver training schools.

You cannot be saying that when a person decides to gain a LGV licence they do so because the trainers have somehow brainwashed them into believing the streets are paved with LGV gold.

In fairness most people take the LGV test to better their current situation. The licence can be obtained fairly easily and most that attempt it quite enjoy driving so its an obvious choice. The problem can occur after passing all the tests and finding work. So what actually is the problem a newbie faces after passing?

Employers ask for 2 years experience. Why do you think this is the case? Its not because you will be a better driver in 2 years, far from it. The day you pass the test is probably the best you will ever drive again. Its about the ability to do the job. Truck driving is only very partially about driving a truck. Its about operating the on-board equipment. Its about understanding every regulation that affects you, and in almost every case will affect the employers operating licence if you screw up. Its about keeping the customers happy and willing to continue using your employers services. Its about getting the goods delivered to the correct destination, on time and in good condition.

In a normal job the hooter goes off at 5pm and home you go. That would be laughable in the truck driving world. Traffic hold-ups, vehicle breakdowns, drivers hours issues, unloading delays are all part of the reason you might not make tonight’s dart match or in fact even get home to see the kids.

Please don’t put the onus on the trainers to make your future rosy. All we can do is give you the opportunity to go for the dream. We are not and never pretend to be the employers.

Good luck in you quest. It’s still a pretty good way to spend a day.

LGVTrainer:

Johnny Drama:
I’m particularly sceptical on the shortage when it comes from the mouths and keyboards of the people who stand to benefit the most from one, driver training schools.

That is a very harsh statement to make about driver training schools. Very few trainers offer their services based upon driver shortages. Perhaps the brokers do but they are clearly not driver training schools.

You cannot be saying that when a person decides to gain a LGV licence they do so because the trainers have somehow brainwashed them into believing the streets are paved with LGV gold.

In fairness most people take the LGV test to better their current situation. The licence can be obtained fairly easily and most that attempt it quite enjoy driving so its an obvious choice. The problem can occur after passing all the tests and finding work. So what actually is the problem a newbie faces after passing?

Employers ask for 2 years experience. Why do you think this is the case? Its not because you will be a better driver in 2 years, far from it. The day you pass the test is probably the best you will ever drive again. Its about the ability to do the job. Truck driving is only very partially about driving a truck. Its about operating the on-board equipment. Its about understanding every regulation that affects you, and in almost every case will affect the employers operating licence if you screw up. Its about keeping the customers happy and willing to continue using your employers services. Its about getting the goods delivered to the correct destination, on time and in good condition.

In a normal job the hooter goes off at 5pm and home you go. That would be laughable in the truck driving world. Traffic hold-ups, vehicle breakdowns, drivers hours issues, unloading delays are all part of the reason you might not make tonight’s dart match or in fact even get home to see the kids.

Please don’t put the onus on the trainers to make your future rosy. All we can do is give you the opportunity to go for the dream. We are not and never pretend to be the employers.

Good luck in you quest. It’s still a pretty good way to spend a day.

Excellent reply John

Paul :smiley:

LGVTrainer:
Employers ask for 2 years experience.

Not quite correct - it seems that the company insurers want the potential employee to HOLD the particular category on the licence for X amount of time before they will insure them

Logically that is daft

Nonsense. Firms are looking to employ new drivers, you just need to be proactive and get out there. Having a nice CV doesn’t mean squat here, you need to show face and actually talk to the TM.

It also totally depends on your area, just because you haven’t had much success it doesn’t mean it’s like that in the UK. I passed my last test (CPC) on the end of November and since then have had 2 weeks of driving an 18ton and have had many phone calls from agencies about jobs available. I’m from the south east.

Just keep trying you’ll get there.

Just get out there its all about how you present yourself. Kay Transport (Gregorys) were strict on the 2 years per catogory rule but I did a lot of class two for them via agency and was asked back all the time, when i got my class one they let me out in one after a couple of months.

Same situation for a few companys, done a bit of class two, worked hard got job done and then they had no issue giving me a couple days to prove myself on class one.

I’m not sure what’s nonsense Radar? All 28 CVs given out were in person, to the companies TMs. The numbers speak for themselves really. I can only imagine that 25 of them have either been binned or shelved, and that’s with over 11 years in the transportation industry although not in Class C granted.

Nurberg, I absolutely agree and as said above, can only speak for my area. I cant claim to state its any different anywhere else because I simply don’t know that.

None of what I’ve said is in anyway meant to dissuade anyone who wants to do this not to. Its only my opinion based on my experience in a specific area.

Maybe your cv is not upto scratch ■■ I passed in june cpc in july and havnt been out of work since haf a few full time jobs and a few offers of full time jobs but left them for agency as agency pay much higher and i felt i wanted to get a proper feel for trucking in different types of work / trucks ie curtain box fridge etc class one booked for feb will probs stay on agency for a couple of years until i find something i like

Could be the case for a select number of them, but certainly Id guess at 90% of the TMs I gave it in to said it looks good. As I said, 11 years in the industry driving everything upto Class C, courier, multi-drop etc.

I didn’t expect at all to get the licence one day, walk into a job the next, that’s unrealistic. My main point to begin with is how also even more unrealistic this ‘shortage’ is whereas companies were screaming desperately for drivers. Its just not there.