Driver shortage? Nope, not for 'new blood'!

From what I can see talking to drivers out and about there is a driver shortage BUT its not every field ie days, trunking containers etc the jobs I have seen by me is for chemical tankers gas bottles etc particular kind of job which employers need to see you have been driving long enough to know the score.
These kind of jobs without taking the P arent ones newbies will pass one week and walk into.

Jeff.

i aswell have done ok out of driving since i passed 6 weeks ago, done 3 weeks driving class c, and nw passed my class c+e they will give me a full time job in new year and that was all down to going in, speaking to the man in charge and having a chat, also got another gaffer at big haulage firm ringing me tomorrow with prospects of class c+e work straight away on better money and thats through a mate

im unsure on the shortage from who ive spoken too

It must be a regional issue.

The first company I applied for class 2 work when I passed was Brakes in Burtonwood, and despite being told to come back in 6 months when I’ve had “more experience” I still got called in for an assessment. Second company I applied for was Muller Wiseman, they emailed me back and said the position(s) had been filled, but they would keep hold of my CV for future reference. Near enough every agency I went to offered me work within days.

As much as I dislike agencies, they might be worth sticking with for a while, so you can build up some time on your taco card and then tell proper, no agency companies, that you have experience.

I landed on my feet after gaining my class 1, as my dad got me a job with him, the company paid for my ADR and I’ve already been there a week. Thankfully cutting out the agency transition. But, if I didn’t have that job lined up, I would have happily gone with agency work.

We all have to start somewhere.

Endgame:
It must be a regional issue.

The first company I applied for class 2 work when I passed was Brakes in Burtonwood, and despite being told to come back in 6 months when I’ve had “more experience” I still got called in for an assessment. Second company I applied for was Muller Wiseman, they emailed me back and said the position(s) had been filled, but they would keep hold of my CV for future reference. Near enough every agency I went to offered me work within days.

As much as I dislike agencies, they might be worth sticking with for a while, so you can build up some time on your taco card and then tell proper, no agency companies, that you have experience.

I landed on my feet after gaining my class 1, as my dad got me a job with him, the company paid for my ADR and I’ve already been there a week. Thankfully cutting out the agency transition. But, if I didn’t have that job lined up, I would have happily gone with agency work.

We all have to start somewhere.

When I qualify, I accept agency is probably the best way to get experience. I would prefer to not be agency one day I think, but there are plenty of drivers out there with tons of experience who choose to do agency work, although its not for everyone. I know a guy who has been working for the same company for years, just through an agency.

There could be any number of reasons why they haven’t taken you.

I went to a general haulage company application form in hand 2 days before my 19th on Friday, had the interview there and then had an assessment on the Tuesday, I started work that night for them. I’ve now got 2 years experience on category C and have never been out of work since then. Anyone who’s met me will be able to say I’m probably the one of the last people you would think to put in a truck & I have absolutely no family connected to the job whatsoever. No agency.

I’ve edited as read further down you said you actually handed your cv in person. I did type out that in my own experience the only way is to get out there. You’re in the East Mids which is near lincs where I started early 2000s.

Back then you had a licence on artics and walked into a transport office the job was yours. Even then rigid was more difficult and it is now. If you can afford it get your artic then do it now - head round all the small little firms that pay probably rubbish money but will give you a chance (and who don’t know what a cv is). An artic licence buys you a chance with transport. Rigids are always stuck in the odd world of semi transport with the likes of skips/council operations/laundry companies, many of whom are big firms who love things like experience and cvs. Have you tried Daniel’s for rigids btw?

I believe this is dilemma for all of us new to the industry and wannabes. I am planning to drive around the M1 corridor( Hemel- Luton-Milton Keynes-Northampton) with a general enquiry, is there a job if I am fully qualified but no experience and sort of money I can expect. Just to see what I will be told, this may impact my decision whether go straight to C+E training or do some Class 2 work before. Although I do hate my job it pays decent money and I like the job security. There is no day I wouldn’t be thinking of prospective jobs and what happen If I spend all the money and time on training and find no job or even if I get one I’ll be more upset and flustered with making even less money than now and and no job security. I got it all at the back of my head making me wonder if getting hgv licence and all qualification is the right thing. Nevertheless you dont know if you dont try. I love driving and being on the road. I am not scared of challenges but money must flow in otherwise it has no point.

Any newbies have found it hard finding work around that area?

Freight Dog… I’ve never heard of Daniels? I don’t mind a fair bit of travel for the work, just nothing too excessive. I’m between Nottingham and Sheffield.

Radar19:
Having a nice CV doesn’t mean squat here, you need to show face and actually talk to the TM.

I got a job once by firing away my ‘nice’ CV, it does work fore some companies. I have also got jobs by showing up in person but that was a long time ago…

Chilly77:
I have sent out a total of 28 CVs from everything to haulers, recycling plants to the council for the dust carts. Out of those 28, I have had 3 replies. Two to say there are no vacancies and one ’ come see us and we’ll have a look at you but no promises’. So a grand total of 25 cant even be bothered to say thanks, but no thanks.

Thats pretty normal I would say, I’ve sent hundreds, only to ever get a handful of replies.

LGVTrainer:

Johnny Drama:
I’m particularly sceptical on the shortage when it comes from the mouths and keyboards of the people who stand to benefit the most from one, driver training schools.

That is a very harsh statement to make about driver training schools. Very few trainers offer their services based upon driver shortages. Perhaps the brokers do but they are clearly not driver training schools.

You cannot be saying that when a person decides to gain a LGV licence they do so because the trainers have somehow brainwashed them into believing the streets are paved with LGV gold.

In fairness most people take the LGV test to better their current situation. The licence can be obtained fairly easily and most that attempt it quite enjoy driving so its an obvious choice. The problem can occur after passing all the tests and finding work. So what actually is the problem a newbie faces after passing?

Employers ask for 2 years experience. Why do you think this is the case? Its not because you will be a better driver in 2 years, far from it. The day you pass the test is probably the best you will ever drive again. Its about the ability to do the job. Truck driving is only very partially about driving a truck. Its about operating the on-board equipment. Its about understanding every regulation that affects you, and in almost every case will affect the employers operating licence if you screw up. Its about keeping the customers happy and willing to continue using your employers services. Its about getting the goods delivered to the correct destination, on time and in good condition.

In a normal job the hooter goes off at 5pm and home you go. That would be laughable in the truck driving world. Traffic hold-ups, vehicle breakdowns, drivers hours issues, unloading delays are all part of the reason you might not make tonight’s dart match or in fact even get home to see the kids.

Please don’t put the onus on the trainers to make your future rosy. All we can do is give you the opportunity to go for the dream. We are not and never pretend to be the employers.

Good luck in you quest. It’s still a pretty good way to spend a day.

What a good post - I can only speak from experience but definitely turning up and being willing to go is far better than sending out CV’s. Think about it from the employers point of view; not only what is written above is all true but also think of the risk to the employer. A truck and trailer cost an awful lot of money and the load could be worth £250k. They need to meet and be confident in the person that they entrust this too. A CV does not get this across but being there does.

LGV Trainer is right - the driving is only a small part of the job. If you were on for a general haulier your next load could be a steel structure that needs craning in through the roof and then your experience to secure it safely. That takes experience or great relationships with your fellow drivers who can advise you how to do it. There is definitely a driver shortage in the West Midlands my firm have taken on quite a few new drivers recently.

sfantu:
I need a regular income as well. And i am agency driver and cant complain. Got C after my licence came back from dvla next day i went to work. Till few days ago i was on a ongoing contract via agency for palletways. Class 2. This week i started class 1 (passed on 24th nov got licence back on 10 th from dvla) for another agency at eddie stobart work for tesco lichfield . So there is work if you want to go via agency. Nsomething is better than nothing. Plus if you go via agency on a ongoing conract and do your job well they will offer you full time contract.

+1
theres always work with agencys.if your decent and obliging then itl be constant…if your a nugget,then you will obviously not be in such great demand…works like that everywhere.theres work if you want it…just possibly not exactly what suits you,but if needs must,then get stuck in till a better door opens.itl die a death in feb till Tosco and the likes work out when their steering wheel attendants are going on holiday,buttheres always work f some sort