Do you get high bridge vertigo?

waynedl:
I never think about it tbh, well, not the height anyway. However, when going over some bridges like the Runcorn bridge with a double decker, I’m always a bit worried that I’ll catch those supports that come at an angle…
When I first took a double deck trailer to Newcastle, I moved over to the 2nd lane :blush:

They do seem a bit close don’t they. When on Runcorn bridge going over to Widnes, just after you come off the main bridge in the left hand lane there is a little ■■■■■ guard rail. There’s the road, then the railing and then the drop, there’s no separation. It’s not high but it’s certainly not enough to stop you from going over (imo).

RUNCORN.

RUNCORN.

Dieseldoforme:

martinviking:
I’ve gone all emotional, MARK DIXON / GOD.

I do hope he lets me clean the inside of his lorry. :smiley:

Only if you wear your apron - ONLY your apron.

Oh no ! that’s it !

Sorry Colonel, but KFC & the Holy Bucket of Communium is no longer my Religion.

I’m converting to Stobart’thism & all the Green Cathedral Depots will be my place of Worship.

By the Grace of God Dixon !

(Please don’t turn me Gay, I like the Lady’s too much !)

well, I’m normally the world’s wimpy-est person regarding heights generally, but for some reason going over high bridges in the wagon has never particularly bothered me.

It’s not like I’ve never thought about it either; I’ve often looked at those flimsy armco railings separating the carriageway from some massive drop and realised that they are best thought of as decoration :laughing:

Dieseldoforme:

blackbox:
Hi have walked across Forth road bridge and Humber
bridge both move all the time, think some would never go across in
waggon if you see the movement. cheer’s bob

That reminds me of the M1 Junction 34 at Sheffield Tinsley. (Meadowhall)

The double decked Tinsley viaduct is often closed to high siders
in windy weather and they must travel on the lower deck. If
you stop on the lower deck in heavy traffic you can get bounces
around all over the place.

Tacoma Narrows Bridge 1940.

Tacoma Narrows Bridge 1940.

I can vouch for that bridge bounce too, when I was younger my mum would take us with her to a wholesaler near there, when stopped on the lower deck due to traffic lights the car used to bounce :smiley:

Orwell Bridge near Ipswich is a very high one, if you drive on the road to Shotley which goes under it, you get a sense of how high up the bridge is, however because the A14 approach on both sides is very gradual you can fail to realise how long a drop it would be.

The flyover on the M5 northbound by Avonmouth is also sometimes a little scary when you look down to your left, and maybe the worst I’ve encountered is the A40/E25 that goes up to Chamonix/Mt Blanc - going up it’s a flyover up a proper mountain, coming down it’s a case of pray the brakes don’t fail!

Doesn’t really bother me crossing bridges, but the barriers on the Friarton and Kingston bridges often get me wondering if they really could stop a truck from going over the edge if they were to crash into them. They certainly don’t look like they could.:open_mouth:

damoq:
Doesn’t really bother me crossing bridges, but the barriers on the Friarton and Kingston bridges often get me wondering if they really could stop a truck from going over the edge if they were to crash into them. They certainly don’t look like they could.:open_mouth:

I agree about the friarton-I don’t think those barriers would stop a truck. The thing which worries me the most though,is sitting on the Forth bridge stationary in traffic. The truck undulates and it scares the ■■■■ out of me.

Don’t get vertigo crossing bridges, but I often wonder if the safety barriers on the elevated dartford crossing or the safety barriers on the severn bridge (before the susspension struts) would be strong enough to stop a 44t from simply bashing through them. Or even a 7.5t … they look like a normal iron central reservation barrier to me.

The scariest motorway driving is those long sweeping downhill bends on the M4 near newport and cadiff. It’s easy to overspeed and one false move and you are in to a bridge support or off a steep bank.

Ched:
The scariest motorway driving is those long sweeping downhill bends on the M4 near newport and cadiff. It’s easy to overspeed and one false move and you are in to a bridge support or off a steep bank.

'Specially in the morning rush hour, fully freighted with 29 tons on board & all the Welsh’ys are in a hurry to get to work, they Buzz round you like Kamikaze’s in Pearl Harbour. :laughing:

I get the urge to jump off.

I’m normally ok on bridges, but for some reason I’ve always hated the bridge over the river, at Nantes.

There’s two in Le havre that seem to go straight up and then straight down. And being in a rhd wagon your sat inches from the puny barrier and certain death. :open_mouth::shock::-):slight_smile:

limeyphil:
I get the urge to jump off.

One can only live in hope… :wink: :laughing:

I used to, but Reed Boardall soon knocked it out of me, the amount of times I went over the Forth bridge :laughing: :laughing:

DAF95XF:
I used to, but Reed Boardall soon knocked it out of me, the amount of times I went over the Forth bridge :laughing: :laughing:

Good point. One gets used to these things. I was a bit… apprehensive… going through the tunnel the first couple of times. Now my biggest concern is usually just that the bus won’t be too smelly.

chilistrucker:
I’m normally ok on bridges, but for some reason I’ve always hated the bridge over the river, at Nantes.

Same here-but seemed worse to me on the way back.Don’t know why.The new Severn crossing is another one I feel uncomfortable on.Never been on the Millau though :frowning:

I notice a few truckers move either slightly right or change lanes on certain bridges. When its windy and there is no hard shoulder it can be better to be safe to be fair. I got a bit jittery looking down the dartford bridge when i went over it in a left ■■■■■■ for the first time but i dont think that is comparable with some of the ravines you cross in central germany when you are in a right ■■■■■■ !!! Keeps the job interesting

Never been over a bridge in the UK ive had a problem with, ive been over Millau bridge approx 6 times, no problem at all.
The Oresund bridge linking Sweden with Denmark, is really long and enjoyable, not particularly high, but when its really windy it does make you nip yer arse up, i once thought i was going to get blown over the side, im sure some wheels came off the ground.

Yes I do big time ! And I love the adrenalin buzz ! :smiling_imp:
This one made me scream big time !