Dick Snows Astran Pictures

This thread reads well. I’ve bumped it for the various newcomers who’ve been asking for M/E stories. Robert

just spent the last hour reading them,thanks robert :slight_smile:

good move Robert enjoyed reading it ALL all over again ! :laughing:

Me too. In 1973 we were definitely convoyed from Zakho as the Kurds were revolting!

Last time I was in Zahko I was in a taxi with a rep. from the Brit army recceing the route for resupplying the troops in the south. We were made welcome by the 12th, airborne of the U.S. of A who had hunkered down big time in the customs buildings. Took us 12 hours to get into Iraq by the way. Unlike the queues we used to endure amongst the Tonka tankers.

Some of you know i am a close relation to ■■■■ Snow. While going through his pictures i found these, but have no idea who they are, can you help■■? Do you know who’s these men are?? Probably all legends in there own right… they look like faces you wouldn’t forget!!
I’m going to add them in individual posts so you can reply to each picture.

A great one of ■■■■, taken in April 1978 in Doha.

Another well known face!!

Hi, first of all may i say, what fantastic photos, :smiley:
I think the guy in the middle of this photo, with the blue parker and beard, looks decidedly like the legend that was,
“Johnny Williams”, is this the Scania in the ditch incident that he talked about in Destination Doha :question: :question: :question:
Jerry

Mr 141:

Correct Jerry, That is Jon WIlly and yes he is stuck up the mountain! There are a few pictures of this little incident, but always with another set of drivers stopped to help.

jerry truckartist:
Hi, first of all may i say, what fantastic photos, :smiley:
I think the guy in the middle of this photo, with the blue parker and beard, looks decidedly like the legend that was,
“Johnny Williams”, is this the Scania in the ditch incident that he talked about in Destination Doha :question: :question: :question:
Jerry

Mr 141:

Thats right, wasnt it on Tahir? and he said he said he stayed with the truck for a month, so that nobody could touch it . .
“not even take a mirror”.In the pic, no mirror arm or mirrors?

He would not be on the Tahir pass if he was going to Doha.

Colonel:
He would not be on the Tahir pass if he was going to Doha.

In the destination Doha dvd, he salvaged the truck from, i think, Damascus(spelling) but was talking about the 110 on a previous journey when it went 45 degrees over on Tahir.That pic was deffo taken on Tahir.

I’m sure it is definatly on Tahir. As you say in DD he talks of a previous trip, but it is the truck they recover from the railway yard. I remember JW saying “not even a mirror arm” but hadn’t noticed in the pictures!

The picture may well be on Tahir, but it would not have been on the Doha trip as they are in different direections, as you well know. I remember speaking to JW in Mamas at Spielfeld one evening and he mentioned then that they were going to be on film, but from what I have heard most of it was fabricated to make it sound as if it was something out of the ordinary when there had many of us quietly going up and down the road to these destinations for some time.

A week to Istanbul tells me that they were all thinking it was a holiday.