Death penalty, for or against

…and losing liberty is supposed to be a deterrent. I suppose the death penalty is supposed to be the ultimate deterrent, because most people want to continue living.

In the case of Carryfast, it is multiple ‘specific domains’.

thats just it though it isnt a deterrent to quite a significant percentage get paid to do jobs you would have to do at home anyway plus free weekly money. free education up to and possibly above degree level. 3 meals a day and a bed.

Valdo Calocaine, who randomly killed people in Nottingham who were just going about their daily business.
The appeal against his supposed lenient sentence has failed, because of his ‘mental illness’, so instead of life imprisonment, he faces up to life in a secure hospital.

Dont know about you lot, but the thought of my tax after a week’s work going to keep this ■■■■ in secure luxury, does not go down well.
An injection, a bullet?..would.

As for his mental illness ?
Sorry to the hand wringers, I’m with the victim’s families…could not gaf about it.

Incidentally, I watched part of the case being discussed.
A panel of old blokes in fancy dress, wigs and cloaks, being chaired by ‘Baroness’ somebody or other dressed the same way.
Wtf is all that about exactly??
The reek of pomposity was unbearable, the whole sorry scenario belonged in the 17th Century, …time for modernisation in the system.

im all for helping people that need it but when they dont want the help or stop cooperating with it then they are on their own.

here is the thing though as far as i know unless the court has specified a minimum time the shrinks can release him as soon as they feel he is stable.

As I said it’s ironic and rare where anyone makes the humanitarian case for ( the option and right to choose by the convict ) execution.Then gets called woke.
While obviously many of those against it are obviously against it because they prefer the idea of inflicting the mental torture of incarceration.
The idea that it’s a holiday camp obviously only applies to the demographic that can handle and resign themselves to that environment.
It’s no holiday camp for those who can’t and obviously those like Zac know it.

You’re right, it is not a holiday camp, anyone who thinks it is is simply swallowing tabloid garbage.

I’m sure that you are right.

From 5-00.
A former inmate and prison officer about the current state of the tabloids’ “holiday camps”.

The UK has a higher imprisonment rate than most other European countries, but a bit less than Australia, N Zealand, and much less than USA.
The US bad rate of violent and other crimes.
The UK has a poor record on recidivism compared to most, but not all countries.

To put that another way:
Locking up more people does not make for less crime.
Locking up more people does not make them better behaved in the future.

Norway has one of the lowest rates of incarceration and one of lowest rates of re-offending.

We may all expect that the thought of harsh punishment, and fear of further harsh punishment after being in prison might work…but it does not.

Who cares?
As long as it t keeps them off the streets for a good while.

So you don’t much care of they come out and do it again?
You will just keep a revolving door spinning around?

And remember that they are being let out earlier all the time because of over-crowding, so they are not being held for very long at all.

What difference does it make?
Most of em re.offend whatever, the habitual carreer ones anyway. (please no refuting graph links eh?)
Keep em off the streets and bang em up again when they re.offend…keep em off our streets.

What is needed is the same cure as for your illegal immigrant mates…a severe deterrent, let’s go with hard labour for starters.

Road gangs say, I’d volunteer to be a warden,.I’d look good in stetson, and shades carrying a rifle. :sunglasses: :joy:

Dr Rob speaks again.

The whole point is that the UK system, and the US are both rubbish at preventing further offending, but other systems seem better.
Others lock fewer people up and get less re-offending, so it costs less in the long run.

A hat and shades?
https://youtu.be/56nvflyvjpE?si=vKTA9fAH2z8T1C9B

What’s your answer then?
Embrace them in a counselling session?
Yoga classes followed by forming a circle singing Kum by Aa?
The system is far too soft, if they knew they were going to suffer to some degree, it would make them think twice about next time…basic human nature.

Dr Rob you say…
Cheers. :sunglasses:

Sorry Dr. Rob, we’ll have to agree to disagree.
In most cases, incarceration or fear of, does not act as a deterrent, as offenders generally don’t think they’re going to get caught. Fear of capitol punishment has the same effect.
Any punishment is societal revenge. Rarely is any form of rehabilitation offered, despite what politicians claim.
What is the alternative? We can’t let criminals off scot free, can we?
I personally would not fulfill the role of executioner. Neither would I want to be a prison guard. On the hierarchy of honourable professions, screw is lower than used car salesman, prostitute or even politician, but if a system similar to jury service was introduced to keep criminals interned, I’d take my turn.
As I wouldn’t execute anyone, I don’t think it’s morally right for me to defer deeds that I wouldn’t do, to someone else. Ergo, I’m in the no camp.

Ok, but like I say I dont really care as long as the ■■■■ s are off our streets.
Whether or not it is a deterrent, the way I see it is, the sentence served under harsher conditions is better than served under a cushy regime, and in my eyes a bonus.

So in order to satisfy your personal desire for revenge, you are prepared to have more offences committed in the future?

All the studies show that merely warehousing inmates makes for equally antisocial, and possibly fitter ex-inmates upon release. Treating offenders, as people, may help some of them to see a better way.
Not all it is true, but more so than society treating offenders in the same nasty way we say is wrong.

But since you imagine otherwise I doubt you will convinced by thinking about what happens when offenders are released.

Here we go Frangers looking for yet another argument, evidently bored in his retirement.

It has got the far end of f/all to do with any ‘personal desire for revenge’.
As I said if they are safely locked up again and again,.and far away from my family, that will do for me, if their time there is harshly spent,.even better.

But just for you and your like, next time I see one who has been released, I’ll give him a big hug.
:roll_eyes:

As for your ‘studies’ place them very carefully (and gingerly to avoid injury) with your stats and your links.

There we are…continuing to offend.
I happen to think that stopping the cycle of repeat offending is better, but you seem incapable of understanding what you have just written.

I agree:

“The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man’s life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.”

― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones.

1 Like

Come on then Frangers, how would YOU go about that exactly?
Especially where countless others have failed.

Hang on a couple of mins…

Nah, fully understand what I wrote thanks.

In the meantime get some practice in for your rehabilitation ‘sessions’.

All together now…