Cover versions of records

I think certain songs should have preservation orders put on them, to save them from comedians / actors / x factor wannabes. William Shatner ’ Lucy in the sky with diamonds’ anybody?

Worst covers for me would be Mike Flowers Pops awful Wonderwall spoof and then anything by Ronan Keeting. I’m thinking either of Farther & Son or Iris. His covers are simply pointless bring nothing new to the song and are just dull.

Covers I love.

Placebo covering Kate Bush’s Running Up That Hill.

I love any version of all along the watchtower. U2s version on the Rattle & Hum live album is worth a listen.

If you thought Shout By Tears for Fears needs to be rockier, well give The Disturbeds cover version a go.

Lastly here’s one I have made my mind up in. Grace Jones, love is the drug, originally by Roxy Music.

KCLeblanc:
If you thought Shout By Tears for Fears needs to be rockier, well give The Disturbeds cover version a go.

The Sickness - A quality album…

If anyone is a ■■■■■■■■ U2 fan, there’s a song called An Cat Dubh on their debut 1980 album. The Bravery did a cover of it. Mighty fine!

KCLeblanc:

:open_mouth:

Blimey they’ve chosen one of the few decent records of the 1980’s which could only possibly be made worse especially when it misses the bit at 4.39-5.21.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ye7FKc1JQe4

PaulNowak:
If anyone is a ■■■■■■■■ U2 fan, there’s a song called An Cat Dubh on their debut 1980 album.

With or without you Rattle and Hum version is arguably their difinitive effort.

youtube.com/watch?v=M04gR_FYhDA

robroy:
I’d forgot all about my teenage crush on Cherry Gillespie in Pans People, wonder what she looks like now.

Still pretty ■■■■ fit for her (and my) age :wink:

The Lemonheads did a good amped-up version of Simon & Garfunkles Mrs Robinson back in 92.

Probably the best cover version ever (in my opinion) is The Beatles “Dear Prudence” by Siouxsie and the Banshees

robroy:

Reef:
The only “hip” thing about this thread going by the music tastes is everyone above is probably about due for a hip replacement. :laughing:

Ok smartarse! :laughing: :laughing:

So What about Ed Sheeran’s version of Beyonce’s Drunk in love.
or Meghan Trainer’s version of Taylor Swift’s Smack it off.
and then there’s Pharrell’s version of Beach Boy’s God only knows. Maybe 2 out of three better anyway .
Impressed? Hey dude…, 57 and still "Down with the kids’'…check it. :sunglasses:
:laughing: :laughing:

F A F, PSML. :sunglasses:

What about

Up around the bend by Hanoi Rocks

Love Hurts Nazerath

I drove all night Cindy Lauper or Roy Orbison

You can’t hurry love who by Diana Ross / Phil Collins

I love Rock & Roll by Joan Jett / Arrows but hated the Britney Spears version

Gasoline Alley by Elkie Brooks

Pretty Woman Van Halen or Roy Orbison

Its all coming back to me now by Pandora Box / Celine Dion / Meat Loaf

Rock & Roll Dreams Jim Steinman / Meat Loaf

Just for a few to start with

Contrary to my first post on this thread,I will now retract and say that Rolfs Stairway to heaven is the second worst cover ever.
I have just heard Shania Twain covering AC/DC’s “you shook me all night long”.
WTF■■? Go back to soppy country ballads and leave rock music to the experts ya daft bint

The-Snowman:
Contrary to my first post on this thread,I will now retract and say that Rolfs Stairway to heaven is the second worst cover ever.
I have just heard Shania Twain covering AC/DC’s “you shook me all night long”.
WTF■■? Go back to soppy country ballads and leave rock music to the experts ya daft bint

Never heard that so had to you tube it and wish I had just taken your word for it.
Truly diabolical, way past being simply embarrassing it is a disgrace to the ears

I hate the Fugee’s version of Killing me Softly,
The Roberta Flack version (not the original, but also a cover) was so much better IMO

robroy:
Great 70s comb over from DJ David Hamilton :laughing:
I’d forgot all about my teenage crush on Cherry Gillespie in Pans People, wonder what she looks like now.

Here she is - last year

Metallica’s Whiskey in the Jar cover, and Guns N Roses’ Live n let die are 2 of the best that come to mind.

Too many bad ones to mention :smiley:

Black Legends cover of Barry Whites " See the trouble with me " , cant listen to it without wanting to dance…magic

Worst ever cover was David Partons cover of Stevie Wonders " Isnt she lovely " it was butchery that Dewhurst would have been proud of.

Toddy2:

robroy:
Great 70s comb over from DJ David Hamilton :laughing:

Here she is - last year

Christ she aint half gone grey, and those glasses on her are bloody awful :open_mouth: