Cover versions of records

Good and bad Cover versions of records.
Some covers are better than the originals, some are a lot worse.
I know it’s all down to opinion, but here’s my offering.

Better.
Steve Harley’s version of Beatles Here comes the sun.

Pet shop boy’s version of Elvis’s You were always on my mind

Joe Cocker’s version of Beatles Little help from my friends…

Worse.
Mike Flower’s version of Oasis Wonderwall.

Puff Daddy’s version of Police Every breath you take.

This thread will either make 10 pages, or die on it’s arse after my o/p :laughing:

The worst cover EVER was Rolf Harris cover of stairway to heaven. Ive never heard a classic song butchered and ruined so much in my life.

Listen to Glen Campbell’s cover of Greenday’s time of your life, you might be pleasantly surprised!

Although I’ve always been a fan of The Boss, Manfred Mann’s version of “Blinded by the light” simply blows Springsteen’s version clean out of the water.

I thought the Creedence clearwater revival cover of “I heard it through the grapevine” is a lot better than smokey robinsons original.
But then I like everything by CCR and dont think they ever made a bad album or track so im a but biased! :laughing:

Always thought it was a Marvin Gaye song

robroy:

Better.

Worse.

This thread will either make 10 pages, or die on it’s arse after my o/p :laughing:

Those are all worse

youtube.com/watch?v=KBau4sE5YsE

youtube.com/watch?v=UWUbyMXKNNg

youtube.com/watch?v=S2Kmch2swn8

Kate Bush’ version of Elton’ Rocket Man!

PaulNowak:

robroy:

Better.

Worse.

Those are all worse

Yeh OK fair enough, but like I said …matter of opinion.

Love Johnny Cash’s version of The Nine Inch Nails “hurt” ( or whatever the correct title is).

I like STEPS cover of the BEE GEES tragedy :unamused:

ROG:
I like STEPS cover of the BEE GEES tragedy :unamused:

When they were in the charts with that and I used to see the words"Steps Tragedy’ written down, I used to think, yeh that’s about right. :laughing:

The only “hip” thing about this thread going by the music tastes is everyone above is probably about due for a hip replacement. :laughing:

Reef:
The only “hip” thing about this thread going by the music tastes is everyone above is probably about due for a hip replacement. :laughing:

As they rightly say on absolute 70’s radio a lot of stars took themselves out then because they knew the 1980’s were coming :smiling_imp: :laughing: .Let alone all the computerised zb they’ve got the nerve to call music made now.

PaulNowak:

yes it was Marvin Gaye,
however the Marvin Gaye version was a cover, Gladys Knight did the original

I quite like Roxy Music’s version of John Lennon’s jealous guy
Paul Young’s version of wherever I lay my hat is ■■■■■■ awful-Marvin Gaye did the original,it was only a bloody “B” side.It’s so much better,its about twice the speed of Paul Young’s dreadful durge.Proper Motown song that should have been released as a single
the rolling stones cover of Buddy Holly’s Not Fade Away is a very good cover,i like both versions

andrew.s:

PaulNowak:

yes it was Marvin Gaye,
however the Marvin Gaye version was a cover, Gladys Knight did the original

No she didnt. She recorded in the mid 1967. Lots of people think Marvin Gaye did the original but he covered it in early 67. It was Smokey Robinson and the miracles in 1966 who recorded the original

Reef:

Ok smartarse! :laughing: :laughing:

So What about Ed Sheeran’s version of Beyonce’s Drunk in love.
or Meghan Trainer’s version of Taylor Swift’s Smack it off.
and then there’s Pharrell’s version of Beach Boy’s God only knows. Maybe 2 out of three better anyway .
Impressed? Hey dude…, 57 and still "Down with the kids’'…check it. :sunglasses:
:laughing: :laughing:

What about landslide are you a stevie Nicks or Dixie chicks fan ? Also p j proby or Maggie Bell hold me .