Complete cock on A9

P Stoff:
Today working my way back from the Highlands on the A9 I pulled out from Blair Atholl heading towards Perth. There was a lorry coming up the hill but I had plenty of time to get out. Now bearing in mind it’s 50mph I was up to 50 before he was anyway near. So he then accelerates and is about a bees ■■■■ from behind the caravan. He then harrasses me until the dual carriageway. Couldn’t see company sadly. I only hope he went over on the average speed camera and cops a ticket

I am embarrassed to for this fellow driver. And people wonder why there are multiple pileups.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

As a fellow caravanner, and knowing exactly where this incident took place, I really can’t see what all the aggro is about, from so called ‘professional’ drivers. The caravan has a limit of 50mph on a single carriageway, HGVs have a limit of 50 on that stretch of single carriageway too. So…if the HGV driver accelerated to 56, he’s in the wrong, END OF STORY!!!

It’s a different story when on a dual carriageway or a 3 lane motorway and an HGV is taking forever to pass another HGV in tne outside/2nd lane, going at .5 mph faster than the one in the inside lane. Who is the womble then■■?

Supatramp:
As a fellow caravanner, and knowing exactly where this incident took place, I really can’t see what all the aggro is about, from so called ‘professional’ drivers. The caravan has a limit of 50mph on a single carriageway, HGVs have a limit of 50 on that stretch of single carriageway too. So…if the HGV driver accelerated to 56, he’s in the wrong, END OF STORY!!!

That would depend on the question as to whether or not it’s actually a case of selectively ignoring the rules of give way and/or merge safely at a junction or an entry slip road and the onus for that being on the driver entering. :unamused:

Strange how caravan driver doesn’t seem to want to say exactly how,when and where the truck supposedly closed up the supposed quarter mile gap relative to him joining the entry slip road.

Dr Damon:

Adonis.:

Dr Damon:
Maybe there was a ■■■■ or two on the A9 but there are certainly far more on here.
Talk about bad attitude towards caravan drivers many of whom drive lorries by the way.
Why are caravan drivers hated so much?
Never towed a caravan but have towed a small box van on occasion and suddenly some truck drivers seem to take offence being aggressive and awkward. Anybody know why this happens?Do some just become ■■■■■ when they see a car towing something or what?

You being possibly the biggest one.

A.

What a wonderfully intelligent answer.
You must have used all your brain power to think of that one.

if the hat fits?? :unamused:

Supatramp:

P Stoff:
Today working my way back from the Highlands on the A9 I pulled out from Blair Atholl heading towards Perth. There was a lorry coming up the hill but I had plenty of time to get out. Now bearing in mind it’s 50mph I was up to 50 before he was anyway near. So he then accelerates and is about a bees ■■■■ from behind the caravan. He then harrasses me until the dual carriageway. Couldn’t see company sadly. I only hope he went over on the average speed camera and cops a ticket

I am embarrassed to for this fellow driver. And people wonder why there are multiple pileups.

It’s a different story when on a dual carriageway or a 3 lane motorway and an HGV is taking forever to pass another HGV in tne outside/2nd lane, going at .5 mph faster than the one in the inside lane. Who is the womble then■■?

Well said nice to see someone with an unbiased opinion.
It’s a rare quality on this site.

P Stoff:

scotstrucker:
where on the a9 did this happen please? and what time? a friend of mine is wanting to get in contact with the driver a large silver insignia type estate car towing a caravan that pulled out of the house of braur at 15.40 and brake checked him at the top of the hill

Wrong car. Wrong junction stupid thing to do

thanks for the reply

scotstrucker:
where on the a9 did this happen please? and what time? a friend of mine is wanting to get in contact with the driver a large silver insignia type estate car towing a caravan that pulled out of the house of braur at 15.40 and brake checked him at the top of the hill

I wonder if and why your friend got brake checked?
Maybe the vehicle braked for a good reason and it was nothing to do with your friend presumably being far too close.
Anything can happen anytime and any driver that travels too close by not easing off or otherwise is a complete plank.

Dr Damon:

scotstrucker:

Maybe the vehicle braked for a good reason and it was nothing to do with your friend presumably being far too close.
Anything can happen anytime and any driver that travels too close by not easing off or otherwise is a complete plank.

There is no good reason to brake check.

■■■■.

A.

Dr Damon:

scotstrucker:

What about when someone pulls in front of you with inches to spare. A common occurrence because Joe public don’t realise the limitations of a 44 ton vehicle travelling at 50+mph. I see plenty of crap driving by so called professional drivers (which I’m not defending), but I see just as much, if not more, by idiotic car drivers.

Adonis.:

Dr Damon:

scotstrucker:

■■■■.

A.

Maybe you should read my comment again and then your reply might not be so stupid!

Captain Caveman 76:

Dr Damon:

scotstrucker:

What about when someone pulls in front of you with inches to spare. A common occurrence because Joe public don’t realise the limitations of a 44 ton vehicle travelling at 50+mph. I see plenty of crap driving by so called professional drivers (which I’m not defending), but I see just as much, if not more, by idiotic car drivers.

I totally agree with you but far too often some truck drivers will not ease off.
Just because a car driver is a ■■■■ it does not mean the lorry driver has to be as well.
Whose the so called professional?

Adonis.:

Dr Damon:

scotstrucker:

■■■■.

A.

And there’s even less good reason to be too close.

■■■■

Dr Damon:

Captain Caveman 76:

Dr Damon:

scotstrucker:

I totally agree with you but far too often some truck drivers will not ease off.
Just because a car driver is a ■■■■ it does not mean the lorry driver has to be as well.
Whose the so called professional?

Fully loaded going uphill, if I were to ease off, I’d stop! Like I said, majority of car drivers don’t understand the limitations of a 44 ton vehicle. We can’t swerve out of trouble, we can’t brake out of trouble, we can’t accelerate out of trouble. All we can do is try and anticipate, not easy considering the standard of some drivers out there.

I feel sorry for the OP. Life has obviously got to a point where he has to drag his portaloo around with him :frowning:

Being poor is no fun I suspect. Maybe we should crowdfund a proper holiday for him. One where you visit an airport initially and don’t have to empty your turds out once you arrive at your destination :bulb:

Carryfast:
Firstly as we know many caravan utilisers make up the definition ‘decent diesel’ and ‘well matched outfit’ to suit their own budget.In many cases that often means saving cash on the towing vehicle spec to spend more on a larger heavier caravan.IE some actual figures relating to towing vehicle weight and caravan weight and engine size/cylinders power/torque output and how stable is the outfit as part of that would be in order. :unamused:

^
This
As most caravans are only pulled around maybe a couple of times a year the combination is rarely a well matched outfit. If they were they wouldnt be struggling up hills as many do, with a head wind its even worse. The same can be said of many campervans, many large heavy ones on single rear axles and single tyres giving unwieldy handling especially on a blustery day. Its a euro wide problem though, going past droves of them during the summer months on the AR’s with the mobile toilet swaying around behind them can be a pita…

Dr Damon:

scotstrucker:

knowing how my never in a rush friend drives there was probably sufficent space between them so there caravan wasnt turned into matchsticks which happend as he was speeding up to overtake them, how does he know there wasnt anything in front of the car and caravan? well he didnt see a deer pop out of either side of the roadside, there wasnt any debris on the road, his cameras which the police looked at didnt show anything either so either the driver of the car had supernatural sixth sense and braked before an accident or maybe had a problem but they didnt hang around too explain. the police looked at the cameras for that section of the a9 and a car and caravan fitting the description are seen exiting the a9 at dalwhinnie so presume they were heading west for fortwilliam but since the caravan had no numberplate displayed the police cant really do much.
the problem with the a9 is that in tourist season the tourists like too look around them whilst the regular users just carry on at there regular pace which at times the tourists dont like so you get conflict between the two which normally doesnt end very well, hopefully in the next six years the a9 from perth to inverness will be dual carriageway and do away with all the jockying driving that goes on.

Fully loaded going uphill, if I were to ease off, I’d stop! Like I said, majority of car drivers don’t understand the limitations of a 44 ton vehicle. We can’t swerve out of trouble, we can’t brake out of trouble, we can’t accelerate out of trouble. All we can do is try and anticipate, not easy considering the standard of some drivers out there.

You are talking to someone who has driven heavies off and on for many years. I sympathise with you and know how car drivers do not realise the problems we have but that is not their fault but its our fault if we do not give them enough room when they get it wrong.
In my book far too many HGV drivers will not back off for anything. Most of the time they get away with it and then one day something unexpected happens and there is carnage.

AND FOR WHAT?

Cant brake out of trouble or swerve out of trouble?? Theres always going to be the unexpected but if you have your wits about you theres generally no need to do either. Anticipating what others are going to do on the road is what its about…

AndrewG:
Cant brake out of trouble or swerve out of troubtle?? Theres always going to be the unexpected but if you have your wits about you theres generally no need to do either. Anticipating what others are going to do on the road is what its about…

Exactly as soon as you see them cutting in you ease off the gas.

Simple really.

eagerbeaver:
I feel sorry for the OP. Life has obviously got to a point where he has to drag his portaloo around with him :frowning:

Being poor is no fun I suspect. Maybe we should crowdfund a proper holiday for him. One where you visit an airport initially and don’t have to empty your turds out once you arrive at your destination :bulb:

I will contribute to this excellent cause, one less caravan on the road.

Dr Damon:
Exactly as soon as you see them cutting in you ease off the gas.

Simple really.

Great so we now have the real muppets taking that to its logical conclusion by creating anarchy on the roads.With them expecting the unofficial general reversal of priorities. Such as give way to traffic entering from an entry slip and entering a roundabout etc etc.

Having said that ironically the latter of those examples at least is a better idea.At which point no doubt our caravan driving hero and you will be the first to moan about drivers not stopping when entering roundabouts. :unamused: