Coach/ Bus Camper conversion

Hi All,

I was down at the VOSA station the other day when some hippies came in asking about testing etc for their converted coach, VOSA said they didn’t want to know, as it wasn’t really a commercial vehicle anymore.

This got me thinking.

A friend of mine has proposed a holiday next year to Europe for some Skiing with a load of mates.

If I were to buy a coach and convert it into a big sleeper with beds, sink, etc. What would I need to do to stay legal?
Would I need to get a PCV license, as I’m only HGV at the moment. Would I need to get a tacho fitted? what else would I need to do.

Money no object, I’m aware it would be a lot of work, but you’re only young once eh?

Alex

Will the GVW be under 7.5 tonne :question:

No ROG, going to be a coach rather than a minibus. The ones I’ve looked at so far seem to be GVW of about 15,000 - 18,000kg

Alex

there use to be a stipulation that you had to have a sink in the vehicle to class it as a camper. i dont know wether that is still true.
you will not need a pcv liceince to drive a converted coach. you might need the h.g.v because of the gross weight, but somewhere in the back of my mind something tells me you might not even need that, the only trouble is they keep changing the law and it might be wrong now. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I`ve got a PCV licence if you want it :laughing:

You will need Category C1 + E entitlement

You can drive vehicles over 3.5 tonnes MAM but less than 7.5 tonnes (with or without a trailer up to 750 kilograms) on a C1. To tow a heavier trailer you will need category C1+E entitlement.

If you passed the category C1+E test:

• before 1 January 1997 (shown as C1+E (107) on the licence) you are limited to driving such combinations up to a combined weight of 8.25 tonnes eg motorhome 6 tonnes, trailer 2.25 tonnes
  • after 1 January 1997 you are entitled to drive combinations up to 12 tonnes in weight where the MAM of the trailer exceeds 750 kilograms but does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle

The maximum size of a motorhome allowed in Great Britain is 12m in length and 2.55m in width.(12 meters = 39’ 4”)

If you are going to do the conversion this might be interesting:
http://www.sskd.co.uk/why.htm

Remember it will be taxed as a private vehicle so it isn’t a bus. Just don’t charge your mates for the ride — it’s ok to share expenses but not to charge. I couldn’t find anywhere that limits the number of passengers but I bet there is one.sskd.co.uk/why.htm

It would all depends on how many seats that are still in the vehicle after the conversion. If you take them all out, not including the driver’s seat that it would no longer be classed as a passenger carrying vehicle, so no PCV licence needed. More than 8 seats (i think) and you’ll need the PCV licence.

Santa:
You will need Category C1 + E entitlement

Why would he need a 7.5 tonne and trailer licence :question: :question: :confused: :confused:

I’d probably be looking at leaving 10 seats in, plus the driver. The rest would be racked up bunk beds and a shower/kitchen area really.
Would I have any problem getting that taxed as a private vehicle? more importantly does anyone have an answer on if 10 seats would need a PCV?

Santa, Don’t really see why you are talking about the +E entitlement, I’m certainly not going to be towing it, or towing anything with it! So I should be OK with my C, hopefully.

Thanks a lot guys, the trip (first one at least) isn’t planned until around April so hopefully have plenty of time to get things sorted.

Alex

I’d probably be looking at leaving 10 seats in

Nope - 7 seats max or it’s a bus.

[quote="Scarabmore importantly does anyone have an answer on if 10 seats would need a PCV?
[/quote]

As this is less than 16 seats according to the DVLA this would make it a cat D1. However this is the minibus category and I can’t imagine a converted coach could be considered a minibus just by removing some seats, so I think it’s actual weight would be considered.

Free to cross the Severn bridges in a camper van, whatever the size.

my dad has one of them big american mansions on wheels with the popout rooms and the full size bath etc etc ,due to the size of it hes had to renew his class 2 as it weighs in at a whopping 12 tonne tho oddly it doesnt need plating just a normal mot

Arrange seats as benches side on converting to beds should get round to solving probs
PCV only needed if carrying passengers for hire & reward

Just looked in one of the DVLA booklets INS57PW and it says

Any bus with more than 8 passenger seats with a trailer up to 750kg…Category D…"

No mention of anything to do with hire & reward

faulkner:
Just looked in one of the DVLA booklets INS57PW and it says

Any bus with more than 8 passenger seats with a trailer up to 750kg…Category D…"

No mention of anything to do with hire & reward

does that include side facing or bench seating :question:

Its okay quoting all the regs but your all forgetting one thing

Its Not for Commercial use !!!

You can drive an artic unit on a car licence if it’s taxed and insured as private, I’m sure Motorhomes are the same but surely the likes of the big companies such as the one next to the A1 in Newark could tell you the score for an 18,000 kg Motorhome or bus converted into motorhome

Its not commercial so should not come under the licensing regs but then again

direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr … G_10037875 :blush: :blush: :blush:

Davey Driver:
Its okay quoting all the regs but your all forgetting one thing

Its Not for Commercial use !!!

You can drive an artic unit on a car licence if it’s taxed and insured as private.

No you can’t. If it was under 7.5t in weight you could replate it to 7.5t and drive it on a pre 1997 car licence that comes with free C1, but otherwise you need to take your cat C to drive a unit.

There used to be some kind of exemption for an “incomplete vehicle” that meant if you took the 5th wheel off then it could be driven on a car licence but that went ages ago now.

Paul

IMHO if its over 7.5 tonne - which it will be then a Cat C licence is required, providing it doesn’t have more than 8 passenger seats (irrespective of which way they face), if it has more than 8 passenger seats and is not an historic bus then a Cat D would be required.

When my wife wins the lottery I am going to have a converted Neoplan decker as a mobile home! But then i’ve got C & D!

Aye, but it sounds like a minibus with 16 or less plus driver’s seat.

I don’t think there’s a weight limit as far as minibus licencing is concerned, just seat, but it does depend of if it is actually classed as a minibus or a lorry :laughing:

What you have are three separate and different issues that don’t necessarily overlap.

1. Driver Licencing
  2. Construction & Use
  3. Taxation class

Have a look at this roundabout forum arguement.

I read the whole thread some time ago and dug it out.