Checking Fuel Cards

What sort of “check” do garage staff actually do? When I hand mine over and say the pump number, they just stick it on a shelf behind them. Suppose someone fuelled up and the card was declined, would you be allowed on your way?

Bothwell services usually swipe the card when you hand it over before switching on the pump. This is to check the card is valid, its not been reported lost/stolen and that the account has not been put on stop.

I would guess your firm will be sent an invoice to be paid back in good faith,it is not theft, as there is an attempt to pay.
Or the driver would have to pay with his personal bank cards or the garage may ring up your boss to ask for his bank card details over the phone and pay the bill that way.?
They should swipe the card then store the card.

Yeah, same here that’s all they ever do with mine. The BP garage just off the A71/M77, think its called the “Q7” switched the pump on for one of our drivers recently, he hadn’t even went in with the card, he fueled up and went in the cab to get the fuel card and it wasn’t there… had to wait until someone came down with a card to pay. At the same garage few weeks ago, I was being served and the woman at the check out told me that truck there ( a very flash looking Volvo with lots of lights and chrome on it) had filled up with nearly £500 worth and the card was declined… And another thing I’ve noticed with service stations, I always ask for ad blue, but very rarely is it on the receipt, being a good guy I go back in and pay for it again, now I check it as soon as I get the receipt.

damoq:
Bothwell services usually swipe the card when you hand it over before switching on the pump. This is to check the card is valid, its not been reported lost/stolen and that the account has not been put on stop.

Was in there this week, and the wee cutie behind the counter didn’ swipe it, just put it in the shelf next to the pump number. You must look dodgey Damoq lol

If it’s a BP card, and the garage is not a BP one, they will need to make sure it’s the right kind of card - which they can only do by looking at it. I daresay the same applies to other companies. This also applies in spades to other Agency cards. It also makes it a (little) bit less likely that the driver will simply forget to come in and pay.

But I still got caught out by this a few years ago. Returning from Leicester to Lutterworth after an assessment drive at the end of a day, pulled in at a Total garage in Lutterworth, having checked on their sign that they had BP cards listed. Even went into the kiosk and checked with the PFY behind the counter that the card would be acceptable. But he was wrong - it was a DHL bunker card, and the DHL logo was helpfully printed right over the bit that would have told him it was a bunker card. So we filled up and the card was declined. We then enjoyed a mexican stand-off sort of scenario where I said “Your bloke said the card was OK, so it’s your problem” and the manager took the opposite view and wanted to take the fuel back out of the tank. Had I been on my own, I would have written my details and those of the company down for him and been on my way without a second thought. The assessor was not so confident though and as a result several phone calls were made and a company credit card was brought to the phone so that payment could be taken. Lesson learned and I only ever go to BP garages now.

I have also been into a couple of places where they have swiped the card before opening the pump - presumably if it’s a nicked or otherwise dodgy card it will be rejected at this stage.

G6Bob:

Was in there this week, and the wee cutie behind the counter didn’ swipe it, just put it in the shelf next to the pump number. You must look dodgey Damoq lol
[/quote]
I’m in there fuelling up every day. You think they’d be used to me by now. It must be my dodgy looks as you say.:slight_smile: I think some must swipe it first and some don’t.
PS. There are a couple of wee cuties that work there. :stuck_out_tongue::P:P

There will a sign telling you to make sure you have the means to pay.

My first week in my new job I had to put £350 on my credit card. This was because I had handed in my Shell fuel card and it had expired the day before. Matey boy behind the counter looked really disappointed as he was obviously meant to check it. They wouldn’t accept payment over the phone either.

Out of interest what is the point of putting an expiry date on a fuel card anyway■■? Surely either you have a credit account with a fuel firm or you don’t? !

bazstan009:

What - like going into the kiosk, handing over the card and saying “Am I OK to use this card here?” That sort of thing?

Muckaway:
What sort of “check” do garage staff actually do? When I hand mine over and say the pump number, they just stick it on a shelf behind them. Suppose someone fuelled up and the card was declined, would you be allowed on your way?

no you wouldnt be allowed on your way, you would have too call your boss who would have too call his fuel card supplier too get them too autherise the payment, if they refuse then the boss will have too get his credit card out and use it, if he cant do that then it’s time too empty the cab and thumb a lift home as thats a sign something is wrong.

So no liability from Ahmed who checked the card originally then?

Muckaway:
So no liability from Ahmed who checked the card originally then?

nope achmed just swipe the thingy through the slot thingy n ope the thingy no go beep, oh and if the card does go beep achmed is supposed to keep the card and return it to the card issuer

last year i filled up at a shell garage ,and the card i was handed back wasnt mine(no i didnt bloody check-and neither did the driver that had my card !!..)i must have filled up five or six times before i was declined.it finally got declined in a shell garage about a mile from my house,it turns out i ended up with a royal mail shell card and postman pat had mine!!!
the fella in the petrol station was adament i couldnt leave without it being sorted (late on a friday and i was struggling to get hold of someone in the office )so i said i’d leave the lorry where it was and walk home.he wasnt too keen on that either lol.
make sure you check them cards when handed back lol.

With keyfuels, always have to present card before fueling up, BP card some want it first, some let you fuel up first.

With shell cards, you used to sign it off when going back after fuelling. I got caught out when they asked me one day for a pin number, and I didn’t have one for that particular card. :blush: :blush: Had to phone the office, and get someone to tell me over the phone what it was.

You get this sort of thing a lot - turn up at a new yard as agency, and everyone there expects you to psychically know the entire job, with all the fiddly bits like Pin numbers for all the cards for all the different tractors off by heart on your first trip out. :unamused:

Roymondo:

bazstan009:

What - like going into the kiosk, handing over the card and saying “Am I OK to use this card here?” That sort of thing?

What I mean is the sign points out that the onus is on you to pay.

bazstan009:

Roymondo:

bazstan009:

What I mean is the sign points out that the onus is on you to pay.

The sign on HGV pumps usually asks for the driver to “please present a method of payment before drawing fuel”, more to do with the amount of fuel going into the tank, they don’t have the same sign on the car pumps.
Never heard of any drivers attempting to bilk in a truck before, may of happened, but its a safe guard against it happening.

My outfit uses the BP card.
Will never use Bp at Oxford services again.
Queue up to have the stupid thing swiped then queue up again to pay.
25 minutes to get fuel ■■■■■.
Will only go there if I’m wasting time.
Been given the wrong card back ftom there previously as well.

Steve66:
My outfit uses the BP card.
Will never use Bp at Oxford services again.
Queue up to have the stupid thing swiped then queue up again to pay.
25 minutes to get fuel ■■■■■.
Will only go there if I’m wasting time.
Been given the wrong card back ftom there previously as well.

You get a right evil look if you dodge the queue to hand your card in there. Really annoys me when some charity event is on and they say “we’re raising money for…” and I just say “oh right” and walk off once I’ve got my card back.
Anyway, don’t you need to ring for permission to refuel? :laughing:

Its probably because most HGV’s use a fuel card to pay, they don’t all accept the some cards! If you have shown your card and they say its OK but turns out not to be so, its there problem! Also make sure you get the same card back :wink: