Calling Dr Damon

How’sitgoing,fella?

Oh, not so well

uk.news.yahoo.com/uber-hits-bra … 55556.html

Oh dear, what a pity, never mind.

Don’t think he’ll respond unless he had the foresight to write down those particular log in details :wink:

Talking of split personality, wheres the consultant refrigeration engineer.

Ha, They were both around not long before I became a member. Personally I wish they were still around as they brightened the forum up in my book and I thoroughly enjoyed reading their posts.
Uk tramp if I remember correctly. A decent bloke that got stick for no real reason.Come on guys, rejoin and we might get a good debate going for a change. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

jakethesnake:
Ha, They were both around not long before I became a member. Personally I wish they were still around as they brightened the forum up in my book and I thoroughly enjoyed reading their posts.
Uk tramp if I remember correctly. A decent bloke that got stick for no real reason.Come on guys, rejoin and we might get a good debate going for a change. [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

Pity your still about.

SouthEastCashew:

jakethesnake:
Uk tramp if I remember correctly. A decent bloke that got stick for no real reason.Come on guys, rejoin and we might get a good debate going for a change. [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

Pitty your still about.

It’s pity and you are you nut. :laughing:

Not sure why anyone is really shocked by this or why it’s significant.

Trucks make up a tiny fraction of the vehicles on the road: 25.8million cars in the UK vs 293,204 vehicles over 7.5t of which only 119,413 are tractor units. (Numbers might be slightly out of date).

The cost/reward to focus on HGV’s is rubbish compared to cars. What’s more once the technology is well adapted into cars it can fairly easily be transferred to larger vehicles if they chose to.

And I’m not sure in the medium to shorter term they would. Let’s make the assumption that you will still need a driver to take over - and for the first few generations, you certainly will. There is hardly any benefit for haulage companies using that tech… As they still have to pay a driver. What’s more, even if he was fully autonomous vehicles you’d still need someone to unload/load a large percentage of vehicles which are used. For trunking, it might have an application in a long time - for multidrop work not so much.

jakethesnake:
Uk tramp if I remember correctly. A decent bloke that got stick for no real reason.Come on guys, rejoin and we might get a good debate going for a change. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I might be getting old…
But the smiley faces are some sort of code?

sammym:
Not sure why anyone is really shocked by this or why it’s significant.

Trucks make up a tiny fraction of the vehicles on the road: 25.8million cars in the UK vs 293,204 vehicles over 7.5t of which only 119,413 are tractor units. (Numbers might be slightly out of date).

The cost/reward to focus on HGV’s is rubbish compared to cars. What’s more once the technology is well adapted into cars it can fairly easily be transferred to larger vehicles if they chose to.

And I’m not sure in the medium to shorter term they would. Let’s make the assumption that you will still need a driver to take over - and for the first few generations, you certainly will. There is hardly any benefit for haulage companies using that tech… As they still have to pay a driver. What’s more, even if he was fully autonomous vehicles you’d still need someone to unload/load a large percentage of vehicles which are used. For trunking, it might have an application in a long time - for multidrop work not so much.

Indeed, and this point has been made numerous times…yet still supposedly intelligent people have spent millions of other people’s $ trying to produce a product with no commercial application and huge questions over its safety and legality.

See the ridiculous driverless logging truck that was exhibited at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. It looked like the world’s most expensive chocolate teapot.

biggriffin:

I think he’s split his personality again and is posting under a new backstory. Not naming names don’t want to ruin the fun for others…or get myself banned.

s3amu5:

biggriffin:

I think he’s split his personality again and is posting under a new backstory. Not naming names don’t want to ruin the fun for others…or get myself banned.

I was just about to say the same.

Just what is being insinuated here? If its any use I read this forum for a long time before joining.
Be careful as I remember why this forum lost decent members such as UK tramp.

Sarky sod!

And it’s not polite to threaten people ‘be careful’ indeed…!

Who are you? The new internet police?

good_friend:
Sarky sod!

I am not being sarcastic nor do I think I’m the Internet police and I am certainly not threatening anyone but I do know what went on before.

Do you?

jakethesnake:

good_friend:
Sarky sod!

I am not being sarcastic nor do I think I’m the Internet police and I am certainly not threatening anyone but I do know what went on before.

Do you?

Takes front row seat, places popcorn and drink, waits for the start.

jakethesnake:

Thought they got chucked onto premod thus no point in them posting. Didnt mind UKtramp much although some of the others were just annoying.

As for electric trucks and UBER, they keep peeing [money] up against the wall rather than in a bottle so wouldnt get anywhere with truck drivers. No wonder UBER stinks.

trevHCS:

jakethesnake:

Thought they got chucked onto premod thus no point in them posting. Didnt mind UKtramp much although some of the others were just annoying.

As for electric trucks and UBER, they keep peeing [money] up against the wall rather than in a bottle so wouldnt get anywhere with truck drivers. No wonder UBER stinks.

You see - whilst not an expert on these sort of things, I think the potential for an electric/hybrid artic is incredible. If a tractor unit regularly needs to do 200 miles and then wait hours that time could be used to be recharged. What’s more at RDC’s you could easily stick solar panels on the roofs to subsidise the cost of the electricity when it’s sunny.

For general haulage, it’s a pants idea. For supermarket trunks and amazon and such companies it could be genius. Let’s be honest in the UK we don’t do huge miles between depots. Even the likes of DHL could use them between their depots.

I really can’t wait to see what Tesla etc come up with. I’m not convinced we shall see driverless trucks anytime soon - but I’m even less convinced all trucks will be diesel in the next 5/10 years.

sammym:

trevHCS:

jakethesnake:

You see - whilst not an expert on these sort of things, I think the potential for an electric/hybrid artic is incredible. If a tractor unit regularly needs to do 200 miles and then wait hours that time could be used to be recharged. What’s more at RDC’s you could easily stick solar panels on the roofs to subsidise the cost of the electricity when it’s sunny.

For general haulage, it’s a pants idea. For supermarket trunks and amazon and such companies it could be genius. Let’s be honest in the UK we don’t do huge miles between depots. Even the likes of DHL could use them between their depots.

I really can’t wait to see what Tesla etc come up with. I’m not convinced we shall see driverless trucks anytime soon - but I’m even less convinced all trucks will be diesel in the next 5/10 years.

I also admit Im not an expert and probably am missing the point but....I was looking at that post about autonomous "platooning trucks" the other day, where a driver is still required to be in attendance and they travel at 5 metres "gappage" to save fuel. I was wondering how much the average truck driver would require in wages to sit in a following truck and stare at the back door in front for 3 or 4 hours just 5m behind and 56mph? Personally, nobody could afford what I would need to do that. Youd need a death wish.

cheekymonkey:
Personally, nobody could afford what I would need to do that. You`d need a death wish.

+1
Wouldnt be me either