Calling Dr Damon

5m is enough space for an idiot car driver to get in the way

Rentadent:

s3amu5:

biggriffin:
Talking of split personality, wheres the consultant refrigeration engineer.

I think he’s split his personality again and is posting under a new backstory. Not naming names don’t want to ruin the fun for others…or get myself banned.

I was just about to say the same.

Same here…Lets see when he appears again.

sammym:

trevHCS:

jakethesnake:
Be careful as I remember why this forum lost decent members such as UK tramp.

Thought they got chucked onto premod thus no point in them posting. Didnt mind UKtramp much although some of the others were just annoying.

As for electric trucks and UBER, they keep peeing [money] up against the wall rather than in a bottle so wouldnt get anywhere with truck drivers. No wonder UBER stinks.

You see - whilst not an expert on these sort of things, I think the potential for an electric/hybrid artic is incredible. If a tractor unit regularly needs to do 200 miles and then wait hours that time could be used to be recharged. What’s more at RDC’s you could easily stick solar panels on the roofs to subsidise the cost of the electricity when it’s sunny.

For general haulage, it’s a pants idea. For supermarket trunks and amazon and such companies it could be genius. Let’s be honest in the UK we don’t do huge miles between depots. Even the likes of DHL could use them between their depots.

I really can’t wait to see what Tesla etc come up with. I’m not convinced we shall see driverless trucks anytime soon - but I’m even less convinced all trucks will be diesel in the next 5/10 years.

Even with the most modern current tech, the batteries are too heavy for that. MAN is poised to launch a 26-tonne all-electric urban rigid, but that will only have a range of 100 km. It could go further, but would have to carry less.

Musk refused to allow transport journalists to attend the launch of his ‘semi’, and while he could quote 0 60 mph figures, he didn’t know or wouldn’t say what the payload was. My opinion…it was just a stunt to try to maintain his share price. Tesla is utterly dependent upon other peoples’ money, and as soon as questions are asked about when investors might see a return, Musk gets nervous.

My guess…within five years, the likes of Daimler will have wiped Tesla out. The battery technology might survive, but probably under another owner.