Bulk tipper work

Sorry to keep asking these random questions, ive been offered a job for a small haulier on bulk tipper work, grain etc, subbing to some of the bigger local tipper operators. Question is, ive never had anything to do with this type of work, so just want to know whats involved? Is it farm to dockside, or reverse? I think they do quite abit of work in/out the grain terminal at Ipswich docks.

Is it work that takes you everywhere?

Any help greatly received!
Aaron

peice of cake once you are used to it.

Most bulk work (especially with grain) will involve farm work and delivering to factories and feed mills.
If you are collecting grain from dockside this will usually (but not always) go to production mills or feed mills,

Watch out for your max weights, some grain weighs heavier than others,

Wheat is quite heavy and will not fill your trailer before you reach max weight but Oats will usually bulk out before weight is reached.

All types of grain weights will vary from year to year depending on how good or bad the harvest was.

Last years oats …full to overflowing trailer…25-26t payload

This years oats…level with top load… possible overweight by couple of tonnes.

Based in east Anglia…not Stennetts is it…if so you will probably deliver to our mill in Crewe at some time, be prepared for a long queue… 1/2 hour for each truck to tip…sometimes as many as 10-12 trucks waiting…5-6 hour wait. :angry:

Then again sometimes you can be in and out in 1/2 hour. :laughing:

If you need directions around this area (Cheshire) PM me and i’ll try to help

What toowise said.

Be very careful round farms, low power cables and slurry pits etc are a hazard; poor lighting is another hassle at some farms, and don’t expect to see farm workers wearing a hi-viz either so keep a sharp eye open!

When delivering to mills you’ll be asked to collect a sample from your load before tipping. One tip; DON’T get caught standing on top of the trailer trimming your load, you’re likely to get sent back because of risk of salmonella contamination, quite apart from the H&S aspect.

One other thing; keep a note of what the last three loads were on the trailer (ie wheat, aggregate, coal) because you’ll be asked to declare it when you’re collecting. Check the interior of your trailer too, many places will turn you away if it’s dirty.

As toowise says, be prepared for long waits; also for urgent line-stoppers. Should keep you busy till at least April.

As above. Depends who you work for of course but can be very long days, lots of nights out and dirty/dusty work. A lot of farms are difficult acess, also check address for collection, not always the address you are given, ask the farmer for directions, if they say ‘you cant miss it’, you will.

Tiger.

cow cow cow and plenty more, drag it in to the cab, all around the pedals.

3 edits in one sentance is a new record. as you know if it needs stars it aint allowered… jd

Try to avoid a load of lynseed, You may as well have a trailer full of water with no baffles!

Make sure you only raise the body on firm flat ground…

Also beware of windy days jsut as the load slides out and the trailer is at full height empty, those things are unstable…

You’ll need a brush

To be a good tipper driver.

You will need to leave your brain at home.
Make sure you overtake on roundabouts.
always have your window down so you can call everyone else a ■■■■■■■
Rigger boots with extra weight is a must to keep the accelorator to the floor.

Oh and keep it on level ground.

Good luck. :laughing:

I’m very offended by that post, i shall pen a strong letter of complaint at the earliest opportunity! :wink::wink: Some good advice above, although linseed really isn’t that bad. Just don’t try to walk over it as you’ll soon find yourself several feet deep! And also try not to load it on a damp floor as it’s a complete nightmare to scrape off. This applies to many commodities you’ll be carrying, although i’ve found linseed to be one of the worst. Same also applies to clinker, if you’re unlucky enough to load that

Oh, and if Jack’s still in the grain terminal weighbridge, you may need to ask him for a phrasebook in order to work out what his grunts mean. :wink: Also, if you’re unsure you’re in the right queue, get out and ask or get on the cb. There are sometimes several different queues depending on your load, or which ship you’re tipping on, i’ve seen several people waste several hours because they assumed they were in the right place. You’ll soon pick up their strange ways though.

whats wrong at magnus then aaron i thought they were meant to be a good firm. :question: :question:

Roger Breaker you’ll be happy to know Jacks been sacked for not hagberging a full bin of wheat that ended up on a milling boat but then failed spec :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

truckerbuster:
cow cow cow and plenty more, drag it in to the cab, all around the pedals.

If you look round carefully you’ll find some green stuff growing in the fields and verges. We call it grass down here, and find it most useful for wiping cow ■■■■ offf rigger boots, amongst other things! :wink: :smiley:

jessicas dad:
whats wrong at magnus then aaron i thought they were meant to be a good firm. :question: :question:

I was gonna ask the same thing?? :confused:

CRISPY:
Roger Breaker you’ll be happy to know Jacks been sacked for not hagberging a full bin of wheat that ended up on a milling boat but then failed spec

Really?! :laughing: I bet he soon remembered how to talk when he found that out! Although he was beginning to cheer up a ‘BIT’ for the last year or two before i packed it in. You’re not the Crispy are you, of T&D fame?:wink: If so, say hello to Dundee for me, if you can get a word in! :wink:

gnasty gnome:
If you look round carefully you’ll find some green stuff growing in the fields and verges. We call it grass down here, and find it most useful for wiping cow [zb] offf rigger boots, amongst other things! :wink: :smiley:

PMSL gn gn I do the same thing,.

Roger Breaker:

CRISPY:
Roger Breaker you’ll be happy to know Jacks been sacked for not hagberging a full bin of wheat that ended up on a milling boat but then failed spec

Really?! :laughing: I bet he soon remembered how to talk when he found that out! Although he was beginning to cheer up a ‘BIT’ for the last year or two before i packed it in. You’re not the Crispy are you, of T&D fame?:wink: If so, say hello to Dundee for me, if you can get a word in! :wink:

Yes unfortunatly its was me and we find gagging Dundee works :laughing:

CRISPY:
Yes unfortunatly its was me and we find gagging Dundee works :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: Gotta be worth a try i suppose! You’ve got PM mate.

Roger Breaker:
Oh, and if Jack’s still in the grain terminal weighbridge, you may need to ask him for a phrasebook in order to work out what his grunts mean. :wink: Also, if you’re unsure you’re in the right queue, get out and ask or get on the cb. There are sometimes several different queues depending on your load, or which ship you’re tipping on, i’ve seen several people waste several hours because they assumed they were in the right place. You’ll soon pick up their strange ways though.

ha ha jack got the sack for backhander payments so i heard, but he is gone im told!!

i enjoyed my time on the bulk, like others say, it is dirty old work, and hard work too, but it can be fun, although you do have a reputation for being bad drivers, i find them twistlock technicians worse :wink:

this is a link to a diary i did ages ago whn i was still doing a bit

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … ight=diary

i hope bob parr doesnt read it and start commenting about it :laughing: