Bulk tipper work

euromat:

Roger Breaker:
Oh, and if Jack’s still in the grain terminal weighbridge, you may need to ask him for a phrasebook in order to work out what his grunts mean. :wink: Also, if you’re unsure you’re in the right queue, get out and ask or get on the cb. There are sometimes several different queues depending on your load, or which ship you’re tipping on, i’ve seen several people waste several hours because they assumed they were in the right place. You’ll soon pick up their strange ways though.

ha ha jack got the sack for backhander payments so i heard, but he is gone im told!!

i enjoyed my time on the bulk, like others say, it is dirty old work, and hard work too, but it can be fun, although you do have a reputation for being bad drivers, i find them twistlock technicians worse :wink:

this is a link to a diary i did ages ago whn i was still doing a bit

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … ight=diary

i hope bob parr doesnt read it and start commenting about it :laughing:

How dare you!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

kjw21:

euromat:

Roger Breaker:
Oh, and if Jack’s still in the grain terminal weighbridge, you may need to ask him for a phrasebook in order to work out what his grunts mean. :wink: Also, if you’re unsure you’re in the right queue, get out and ask or get on the cb. There are sometimes several different queues depending on your load, or which ship you’re tipping on, i’ve seen several people waste several hours because they assumed they were in the right place. You’ll soon pick up their strange ways though.

ha ha jack got the sack for backhander payments so i heard, but he is gone im told!!

i enjoyed my time on the bulk, like others say, it is dirty old work, and hard work too, but it can be fun, although you do have a reputation for being bad drivers, i find them twistlock technicians worse :wink:

this is a link to a diary i did ages ago whn i was still doing a bit

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … ight=diary

i hope bob parr doesnt read it and start commenting about it :laughing:

How dare you!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: i hope my brother reads it too as he now works for maritime!!!

Did 18 months with Tinnellys running out of Carlisle,pretty much anything you could fit in a bulk tipper(scrap metal,stone,coal,fish meal,grain,clinker,rice,rapeseed,waste chocolate,crushed up biscuits to name a few)from one end of the country to the other.
Decent dosh,but you earned it sweeping the peat out of the neck on a frosty morning.
4-5 nights away a week,but if you are collecting off farms can usually park on them overnight and get your dinner.
Hard work,but if it`s all thats avaliable take it. :laughing:

Airfreight:
pretty much anything you could fit in a bulk tipper(scrap metal,stone,coal,fish meal,grain,clinker,rice,rapeseed,waste chocolate,crushed up biscuits to name a few)

i hope you washed and sanitized it!!! :laughing:

although can you not do scrap metal with a food chain bulker, or is it just frag?

euromat:
although can you not do scrap metal with a food chain bulker, or is it just frag?

Not sure, but we get a fair few screws, bolts and off-cuts picked up in our intake magnets!

Think it’s often out of the ships’ holds, though

You’ll enjoy the fish meal… not! :open_mouth:

http://www.agindustries.org.uk/content.output/94/94/Trade%20Assurance/Trade%20Assurance%20Schemes/TASCC.mspx

Tells you all you need to know about hauling combinable crops. Happy reading! LOL :laughing:

Scrap certainly wasn’t allowed in a food-chain bulker under UKASTA regs when i was doin it. Also fish meal necessitated a good wash & sanitise afterwards, not that it helped the smell! Several places we went wouldn’t even load you if fish meal was on your last 3 loads. Also, another bit of advice Aaron, if you happen to be tailboard tipping a bulky load like soya/biscuit/rapemeal etc in a shed, try and roll your sheet back. I had the front of a sheet pole sucked inside the body in my early days :blush:

Roger Breaker:
Scrap certainly wasn’t allowed in a food-chain bulker under UKASTA regs when i was doin it. Also fish meal necessitated a good wash & sanitise afterwards, not that it helped the smell! Several places we went wouldn’t even load you if fish meal was on your last 3 loads. Also, another bit of advice Aaron, if you happen to be tailboard tipping a bulky load like soya/biscuit/rapemeal etc in a shed, try and roll your sheet back. I had the front of a sheet pole sucked inside the body in my early days :blush:

they have a vent in the front of the trailer now roger so it rarely ■■■■■ the sheet in,if unsure you could just loose the straps.

So did mine mate, only about 10 years ago. Had loosened straps as well. Was actually tipping on a pit, full-fat soya. Half the load got stuck in the front, so jolted the body down a touch, it all came down and it sucked it in like a syringe! Bent the front cross bar too! Trouble is, the aperture at the back doesn’t quite match the vents at the front :wink:

Roger Breaker:
Also fish meal necessitated a good wash & sanitise afterwards, not that it helped the smell!

too right, cor what a whiff that stuff has!! and it can be a nightmare to tip, one day it runs like water, others it sticks like ■■■■ to a blanket!

thanks for all your replies guys, great help!

there isnt nothing wrong with magnus really, im just really bored of the dock work (roro and boxes) and just fancy doing something different! i quite fancy the going into farms etc. Bit different to RDC’s!!

So questions i have are:-

If you collect grain etc from farms, does it go to mills and tip onto boats? do you tend to pick up grain from the docks or is it just animal feeds?
If i picked up from a farm say near ipswich, could that go to any flour mill anywhere in the country?

I just want to get a feel for where/type of places i would actually be going!

Cheers guys

AaronR:
So questions i have are:-

If you collect grain etc from farms, does it go to mills and tip onto boats? do you tend to pick up grain from the docks or is it just animal feeds?
If i picked up from a farm say near ipswich, could that go to any flour mill anywhere in the country?

I just want to get a feel for where/type of places i would actually be going!

Cheers guys

Not all grain goes to the docks, some goes to breweries, some goes to other mills, sometimes it can be rejected then the [zb] hits the fan :open_mouth: I did post a few pics of my last job on the grain and they are here; trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … highlight=

Tiger.

Anywhere and everywhere mate! You can load off a farm for docks, flour mills, feed mills, buscuit/cereal plants, starch producers, oil producers, maltings, stores, sugar factories,
etc etc, the list goes on! Also you can load any imported commodity at a port (rice, cereal, palm kernel, soya, coal, again the list goes on!) for anywhere as above, coal to power stations etc. Also beet pulp pellets from sugar factories to docks, basically you’ll be doing allsorts unless your on contract to a particular merchant

…even then you’ll probably be doing any of the above when it goes quiet. And that’s without mentioning sand/aggregates/road chippings etc etc! One of my personal favorites that sticks out in my mind was loading barley near Newmarket one friday for Countrywide’s seed plant near Strensham services, sitting there about 3 hours before being rejected, taking it back to our yard near Harleston, then tipping it at a store in Diss 1st thing monday morning, about 10 minutes away!

Roger Breaker:
…even then you’ll probably be doing any of the above when it goes quiet. And that’s without mentioning sand/aggregates/road chippings etc etc! One of my personal favorites that sticks out in my mind was loading barley near Newmarket one friday for Countrywide’s seed plant near Strensham services, sitting there about 3 hours before being rejected, taking it back to our yard near Harleston, then tipping it at a store in Diss 1st thing monday morning, about 10 minutes away!

& wait till you go to cargills liverpool with a load of oil seed ■■■■ & theirs 20-30 trucks in front of you,then you eventually get on the weighbridge 3 hours later & you’ve got the wrong booking numbers :frowning: & have to pull out till you get right numbers then back in again & queue for sampler another 1-2 hours sometimes then you get rejected.

pretty much what roger said, although depends on who you work for, my old boss didnt send you as far cos most of the work was 3rd hand etc so it paid better to stay more local, sometimes 3 loads from local farms into ipswich docks something like that, tipping either on the boat or in the store, a lot of places can be hit and miss, erith oilseed works are open along hours, but they are a miserable bunch there, and when the place breaks down, its chaos!!

personally i would stick the dockwork, but hey if you fancy a change, its always another string to the experience bow so to speak!

oh, i would say, work for ones who pay by the hour, less hassle than the percentage mob i always found

I couldn’t agree more Mat. Would usually find that the motor earned much more kicking about locally than it did knocking up and down the country. I’ve always been payed hourly, but from what i’ve experienced/heard percentage doesn’t generally work in the drivers favour on bulk. Especially if you’re sitting on a quayside for 2 days waiting for the rain to stop so they’ll open up the boat! I think matey with the hand at Erith was related to Jack :wink: Do you know if Slaphead’s still at Tannington mate?

started on this work back in early august you have to wait at most places to tip seems to me if you have been in and out in a hour you have been quick most farms are ok adm at ertih can be a nightmare rank hivis manchester try and avoid all the rest are pretty much the same a couple of hours wait is the average but the rates seem to make up for it .all depending who you are with

Make sure you are shown the CORRECT way to calibrate the weigh system on the trailers. They vary widely depending on the manufacturer,

But if its not calibrated properly you could be showing up to 3 or 4 tons light or heavy,
This could be the difference between your boss not making a profit on the load or worse getting a heavy fine for overweight.

I had one a few years back when collecting Naked Oats (Ooh err missus).
The weigher showed 28.5t (payload capacity was 28.7t)
When I tipped I had 33.6t on the back.
Luckily not pulled gross weight was 49.1t :blush: :blush: :blush:

CRISPY:
Roger Breaker you’ll be happy to know Jacks been sacked for not hagberging a full bin of wheat that ended up on a milling boat but then failed spec :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i’m glad jack got the poke he tryed to get a job at iaws but he didnt get a good ref from anyone i wonder why. what a ■■■■ up with the new one way specialy trying to get of the inside tips to get to the old malt weighbridge.