Bizarre parking spot

I turned off the A1 just after 6 this morning returning to our yard and was confronted by a Scanny stopped on the road with his hazards flashing. Thought maybe he’d broken down or was getting his paperwork sorted prior to tipping in our yard. I had to stop because of oncoming traffic but once I set off and passed him I saw his curtains were closed.

I mentioned in our traffic office that perhaps he’d broken down and needed help, I was told that he’d pulled over at 3am this morning in front of one of our night men who’d also stopped to check all was ok (there’s a low bridge just after our cold store which can cause confusion), the fella then says that he was ok but his time was up and proceeded to shut his curtains!

I came back out at noon and stopped short of him to take this pic. Hope he’s got good batteries for 9 hours of hazards flashing away.

image.jpg

I’d have thought the tick tick of his hazards would of drove him mad especially if they are as noisey as ours. Still when your time is up your time is up, maybe he hit the max mark and thought “that’ll do”.

Yeah I reckon he’s been trying to get to our place before pulling his card, it’s clicked onto 9 h 59 min so he’s just stopped. Depending if he’s come from the north or the south though he’s passed Colsterworth and countless laybys, any of which must be preferable to a main road.

Living the dream of life on the open road :smiley:

Isn’t that the Highdyke?

the maoster:
Yeah I reckon he’s been trying to get to our place before pulling his card, it’s clicked onto 9 h 59 min so he’s just stopped. Depending if he’s come from the north or the south though he’s passed Colsterworth and countless laybys, any of which must be preferable to a main road.

so he wasted a min :unamused: cant get good drivers any more :wink: :wink:

would have been nice to invite him to park in your yard for safety

nick2008:

the maoster:

so he wasted a min :unamused:

No he didn’t.

Saw a Solstor artic “parked up” on the A10 between Cheshunt and Hertford, he had clearly run out of time a just binned it off the road and up the bank at a jaunty angle. Honestly thought he had run out of talent and had an accident.
But when I got closer I saw his curtains were closed. I reckon the back corner of his trailer was only 6 inches from the passing cars! Front of the unit was practically green laning! Blows my mind.

Call me crazy, but I’d have just carried on to somewhere suitable and done a print out.

I can only assume…
a) He is one of the many brainwashed with ■■■■■■■■ about how VOSA will screw them for slight occasional infringements.
b) They are euro trampers acting in fear of draconian fines across the water.

Seen one parked on St.Andrews Rd, Avonmouth the other day on the one lane section near the bottom end with his curtains pulled, that’s a busy old road 24 hours a day, another minute or two he’d have been somewhere a lot quieter.

owen1955:
would have been nice to invite him to park in your yard for safety

Indeed. In fact I could’ve taken him to my house to use my bed too as I wasn’t using it at the time. When I get paid a carers allowance I shall make it my business to whiz around helping the terminally stupid.

Btw, you may have noticed that I said our yard was a coldstore? If you aint in the refrigerated business you can’t be expected to know that due to the presence of liquid ammonia on site overnight parking is verboten. Even our motors from different depots aren’t allowed to night out there.

the maoster:
When I get paid a carers allowance I shall make it my business to whiz around helping the terminally stupid.

If helping the terminally stupid is part of getting paid carers allowance, I`m going to be very busy

bald bloke:
I’d have thought the tick tick of his hazards would of drove him mad especially if they are as noisey as ours. Still when your time is up your time is up, maybe he hit the max mark and thought “that’ll do”.

Thing about Scanias is the noise goes off with the ignition.

the maoster:
Btw, you may have noticed that I said our yard was a coldstore? If you aint in the refrigerated business you can’t be expected to know that due to the presence of liquid ammonia on site overnight parking is verboten. Even our motors from different depots aren’t allowed to night out there.

To be fair I’ve been pulling fridges for a large part of my career and I’ve never heard that rule, and have parked in coldstores yards all over Europe. To be fair not many in the UK as this is the country where people make life as awkward as possible for trucks and I’ve rarely been allowed to park in any yard in this poxy country but park in several coldstores yards regularly in Ireland in mainland Europe.

rob22888:
Call me crazy, but I’d have just carried on to somewhere suitable and done a print out.

I can only assume…
a) He is one of the many brainwashed with ■■■■■■■■ about how VOSA will screw them for slight occasional infringements.

I nominate B. Any driver that drives across Europe will consider VOSAs dinky fines a bit of a joke :wink:

Good spot drive

switchlogic:
I nominate B. Any driver that drives across Europe will consider VOSAs dinky fines a bit of a joke :wink:

I imagine too that that is the correct answer, he was on southern Irish plates so he’s already crossed one sea and the chances are he crosses the other one regularly.

Absolutely priceless. This is purely what’s wrong with the drivers hours rules that blokes are petrified of going over. I know there’s the get out of finding a safe place to park, maybe ours would take that but Pablo who wants his sherry money just won’t.

switchlogic:

rob22888:

vostapos :laughing: dinky fines aren’t so dinky nowadays! :sunglasses: Christmas cards full of wonga :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: