Begging for work

It has got so bad for me that i am thinking of traveling around the ports with a small bill board begging for work. I use so much petrol riding round giving my cv to companies or ringing them to get told no job s here. So if i stand by the entrance of tilbury dock i just might get something. HAS ANYONE DONE THIS BEFORE AND GOT A JOB :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

I feel for you mate, I really do.

Times are hard for many, Iā€™m lucky(ish) in that my job is fairly secure.

I wish you luck and hope you get work soon.

Shrek:

WOT MAKES IT EVEN WORSE I DONE SOME WORK CONTAINNER A MONTH AGO TOTAL WAGES Ā£800 + Ā£21.80 EXPENCES THE BLOKE DID NOT PAY ME SO I AM GOING THROUGH THE COUNTY COURT TO GET MY WAGES

Ā£2180 expenses :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

164480:

my reaction as well :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

how do you work that out.

Iā€™ve had to take someone to County Court for unpaid wages, itā€™s a doddle.

Good luck with the job hunt and I think that standing outside Tilbury Dock with a sign, written as neatly as possible saying HGV1 DRIVER WANTS JOB or somesuch and with your mobile phone number on it for a morning is an excellent idea and would get you a job.

164480:

Sorry forget the dot

I know what you feelā€¦

I also feel like a travelling salesman. There is something at agencies, but not enaugh, so yesterday only I travelled from East Kilbride, through High Blantyre, Motherwell, Righead to Cambuslang, and still have much more to visit.

But I have one interview booked (work through agency, but every week the same shiftsā€¦).

Harry Monk:
Iā€™ve had to take someone to County Court for unpaid wages, itā€™s a doddle.

Good luck with the job hunt and I think that standing outside Tilbury Dock with a sign, written as neatly as possible saying HGV1 DRIVER WANTS JOB or somesuch and with your mobile phone number on it for a morning is an excellent idea and would get you a job.

i will start at tilbury and then work my way round to Grain if nothing by then it will have to b Harwich and Felixstowe. Thanks for your Support Give me a toot if u c me

Big ā– ā– ā– ā– :

Shrek:

WOT MAKES IT EVEN WORSE I DONE SOME WORK CONTAINNER A MONTH AGO TOTAL WAGES Ā£800 + Ā£21.80 EXPENCES THE BLOKE DID NOT PAY ME SO I AM GOING THROUGH THE COUNTY COURT TO GET MY WAGES

orys:
I know what you feelā€¦

I also feel like a travelling salesman. There is something at agencies, but not enaugh, so yesterday only I travelled from East Kilbride, through High Blantyre, Motherwell, Righead to Cambuslang, and still have much more to visit.

But I have one interview booked (work through agency, but every week the same shiftsā€¦).

orys pm sent

Hi Orys, I read that the current trend is for Poles to move home as the credit crunch deepens and wonder whether working here is still as viable for you as it was? Iā€™ve posted many times about how much I like going to Poland, and I think I would miss home a lot if I was a Pole living here. Do you ever get tempted?

hiy mate, another Pole here and I must admit Iā€™m really tempted to go home but, thereā€™re always butsā€¦
I did Class II 2 months ago, quit my job month ago and started looking for work in the driving industry. Iā€™ve sent about 150 CVs and cover letters, filled out a couple of applications and so far not so good. Actually what I know 2 companies are looking for cat II drivers in Notts, I applied for them and keep nagging them. If not these two jobs, Nottingham City Transport offers PCV posts, applied for it on Friday and if Iā€™m not successful on HGV Iā€™ll go for PCV and if Iā€™m not successful on PCV Iā€™ll probably go back to Poland. Lifeā€™s bloody tough but I said to myself I will never ever get back to a warehouse.
I keep the faith, should be all right

just 100% credit to you for trying to get a job, i really hope it works mate

Harry Monk:
Hi Orys, I read that the current trend is for Poles to move home as the credit crunch deepens and wonder whether working here is still as viable for you as it was? Iā€™ve posted many times about how much I like going to Poland, and I think I would miss home a lot if I was a Pole living here. Do you ever get tempted?

With that trend itā€™s not true to the end.

There is now much better to be a joiner, plumber or digger driver in Poland, also maybe even the money are still smaller itā€™s much easier for good job as a lorry driver thereā€¦

But there are still some issues in Poland that keep people away.

But thatā€™s true - many of unskilled workers, or people with some trades are going back - itā€™s easier particulary for people without language, some guys I bet you all know: guy, who works in the warehouse with all polish staff, then heā€™s driven home in polish bus, on the way heā€™s buying polish products in his local polish shop and then heā€™s spending his time drinking polish beer and wathing polish sat tv - for them if he can come back to Poland and keep this level of live what heā€™s got here while save on plane tickets to visit his family - such guys wonā€™t think twice.

But for people who want to do something in their lives UK is still country of much more opportunities. Itā€™s much easier to open your own business, to study (thatā€™s what I am doing here), to find some work as a proffesional and climb up on the steps of careerā€¦ These people are usualy speak good English (most of them much better than me), they integrate with british community, going out together and so on - youā€™ll propable even donā€™t recognize that they are polish untill they give you their names like Szczepankiewicz, Å»wirbliński, Brzęczyszczykiewicz or Łachudra :wink:

As for me: I am not a family person and that was always my dream not just to travel, but to live for some period of time here or there - itā€™s fascinating to me to know new people, to catch some local culture and so on.

So my plan is to live in UK for few years then to move to France, then to Czech republic maybe or somewhere elseā€¦

When my kids will be older (which I still donā€™t have any) and will start to have their own lives, I hope to move back to Poland and settle for good.

As for missing my country: Itā€™s not a problem. I have polish TV along the british one, polish food you can buy in my local Morrisonā€™s and Tesco, as well as in my corner shop (and we have really good polish deli in Glasgow). There is big polish community - I have plenty of polish friends here (and scottish as well), Poles are everywhere - at the university (both among students and lecturers), Poles are driving buses, lorries, taxis, working in shops, pubs, surgeries, officesā€¦ There is growing market of polish media and I am writing some articles here and there in hope that one day it will grow big enaugh to allow me to be paid for that :slight_smile: There is plenty of polish bands coming to Scotland (there was T.Love just month or two ago, this weekend is Kult in Edinburgh, and thatā€™s only these what I like)ā€¦ But I donā€™t want to be closed in polish ghetto - I am here to learn more about YOUR culture, so I am sightseeing, visiting musees, going for some cultural eventsā€¦

And if I really miss Poland I can have a return ticket Glasgow Prestwick - Wrocław from as cheap as 27 pounds (all taxes included)ā€¦ Or I can jump into my car at any time and just drive there - itā€™s 22 hours of drivingā€¦ I am calling home from my mobile cheaper than I calling networks other than O2ā€¦ And thatā€™s not the cheapest tariff. ( from BT landline I can call home from 0.5 p per minuteā€¦ And there is still the Internet). But I am not using it too much - most of my life is here.

In my eyes the world is just smaller so distance from home is no longer a problem, while advantages of living in foreign country are still big. I take it as my chance to enrich my live!

It has got so bad for me that i am thinking of traveling around the ports with a small bill board begging for work. I use so much petrol riding round giving my cv to companies or ringing them to get told no job s here. So if i stand by the entrance of tilbury dock i just might get something. HAS ANYONE DONE THIS BEFORE AND GOT A JOB

hi pal have you tried hanbury davies(wincanton) they normally want drivers at tilbury, or maritime. I know how you feel i havenā€™t had a full week in the last two months.

From what Iā€™ve heard Maritime is a no-no.

i feel for you mate i really do. i live in hull and theres nothing for class 1 up here. i even advertised myself on gumtree for class 1 work. im owed a weeks wages.from my previous employer. im off down northampton on mon to do agency and yes theres people who dont like em ā€¦but with xmas roud the corner and two ankle biters iā€™ll do anything. if you want iā€™ll get you a number, for Ā£45 a week for acc you can work for morrisons and at least your earning. good luck to you mate and keep your head up. :wink: :wink: :wink: :laughing:

If I wanted a job I would go out dressed up like that bloke who walks up and down along the A303.

Big ā– ā– ā– ā– :
It has got so bad for me that i am thinking of traveling around the ports with a small bill board begging for work. I use so much petrol riding round giving my cv to companies or ringing them to get told no job s here. So if i stand by the entrance of tilbury dock i just might get something. HAS ANYONE DONE THIS BEFORE AND GOT A JOB :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Big ā– ā– ā– ā– , donā€™t muck about mate, big board, big clear letters: HGV 1 DRIVER, NEEDS JOB, FAMILY TO FEED

Donā€™t bother with phone number, but do have number on some paper to hand to whoever. You go for it mate, no shame, nothing to lose. Every mornin, nice an early, if a potential employer sees you there every morning punctual, then it may prove a point. Iā€™ll back you mate, so will most on here. Donā€™t give up too easily. Iā€™ll look out for ya.