Become a lorry driver they said

Goff118:

Is that Blakemore, Talbot Green?

Yes goff

Thought so, only been there delivering in a van so could throw most of the stuff off to hurry them up, but have heard they can be a real nightmare unloading trailers.

That’s my neck of the woods, I’m about half an hour away, deep in the Rhondda :smiley:

Yes got there 8.15, left 11 , few lorries in front & mixed pallets , but always took hours even with a straightforward load , been there a few times over the years

Big Truck:

dozy:

ezydriver:
There is, and never has been, a shortage of lorry drivers. There’s only ever been a shortage of good lorry drivers willing to work for minimum wage.

So what were these drivers who refuse to work for this rate doing ? If they were sat at home twiddling there fingers refusing to do the jobs your right , but I suspect they were out working , so there was a shortage of drivers to do those jobs
I stand to be corrected but I’m sure tesco were offering retention / joining bonuses , pay rises , yet toonsy says he on 52k pa ,40 odd hours

Tesco offered a “driver retention bonus” of approx £50/week gross for about a year,
finished Summer 2022.
FT agency drivers got it too.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Now they haven’t got a single vacancy in the whole country.

cooper1203:

Jimmy McNulty:

cooper1203:
two ways of looking at all this. 1) compare hourly rate at the same shift 2) ease of job.

back in 2017 to use dozy’s wage slip i was on the same hourly rate working in a morrisons rdc picking ambient goods. we had to pick 180 items an hour with all the crap that went with the voice operated picking system. thats 1 item every 20 seconds. would i rather be sitting in a warm lorry looking at my phone or driving from point a to b you bet your bottom dollar.

And another one who’s alright Jack thank you very much.

And this is why things will never change, when you take the same rate as a picker so you can sit on your arse all day knocking out 15 hours.

The funny thing is with a bit of skin in the game, if I had to take the same rate of £8.90 as per your example and I can do 0600-1400 in one job or in the other example 0600 until god knows when, I’d take the guaranteed finish time of 1400, you bet your bottom dollar.

actualy if you read my post you would of realised that i was working in the warehouse not driving a lorry. The point i was making was that its what motivated me to get off my arse and get my class 2 and get a 7.5 tonne job at alot better money. Then when i got confident with that i went for a class 2 job at even better money then got my class 1 and now earn nigh on 50k a year doing 4 12 hour shifts.

thing with the morrisons work was they had flex time so you might be down to do a 9 hour shift but they could make you work another 2 provided they gave you 4 hours notice. plus i was on a 6 on 2 off contract so i could effectivly do 12 days straight with out a day off which happened alot.

No I read your post.

You said you were on the same money in the warehouse as Dozy was on driving a truck.

I said I’d take the warehouse over driving the truck if I was on the same money.