Become a lorry driver they said

There’s loads of money in it they said.

You can see the country and you only have to do one test now. You don’t even have to do a reverse on your test.

£32k and your away all week, don’t all rush at once.

There was never a real shortage of lorry drivers. Chinese rumours thats all.

Jimmy McNulty:

You can see the country and you only have to do one test now. You don’t even have to do a reverse on your test.

32k for 32 hrs a week is pretty good! £19 an hour for a simple 3 hr trunk run each way 4 nights a week.

Or have I misunderstood the ad?

Its not enough money to compensate for being away from home.If youre only driving 6 hours,that means you will be hanging around the rest of the time

There is, and never has been, a shortage of lorry drivers. There’s only ever been a shortage of good lorry drivers willing to work for minimum wage.

Is it away all week though? I think it might mean 4 night trunks per week?

alamcculloch:

‘‘Send 3 and 4 pence,we’re going to a dance’’ if memory serves lol.

Sploom:
Its not enough money to compensate for being away from home.If youre only driving 6 hours,that means you will be hanging around the rest of the time

Why wouldn’t you be at home all day everyday?

stu675:

Jimmy McNulty:

32k for 32 hrs a week is pretty good! £19 an hour for a simple 3 hr trunk run each way 4 nights a week.

Or have I misunderstood the ad?

It’s tramping Monday to Friday with 4 nights out(overnights). The company run out of Bradford, I’ve only posted a small excerpt from the advert.

Form an orderly queue lads, they have free on site parking

https://uk.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=779438309a3e4c05

claretmatt:

And a cycle to work scheme.

claretmatt:

No mention of overtime rate. So presumably it’s £11.16 p/h right through.

manalishi:

alamcculloch:

‘‘Send 3 and 4 pence,we’re going to a dance’’ if memory serves lol.

Send reinforcements, we are going to advance.

Haulage companies know that the temporary shortage of labour is finished. (if there was one?) Drivers are ten a penny at the moment and the backlog of new passes are coming through along with inflation and a looming recession companies are cutting costs along with taking advantage of the job market. I wouldn’t work for less than 15 quid per hour now, i,ve seen job ads for 12 ph whereas 12 months ago it would of been 15/17ph. The wages are slowly going back to pre-covid levels.

Yes ,the party is over now,thats for sure.I want to be home every night at least,unless they pay me more money to be away Monday to Friday

claretmatt:

I found an even better rate than that.
£12 an hour.
Oh,its not driving trucks.Just serving coffees!

uk.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=cd3e … &from=serp

AnotherDriver:
Haulage companies know that the temporary shortage of labour is finished. (if there was one?) Drivers are ten a penny at the moment and the backlog of new passes are coming through along with inflation and a looming recession companies are cutting costs along with taking advantage of the job market. I wouldn’t work for less than 15 quid per hour now, i,ve seen job ads for 12 ph whereas 12 months ago it would of been 15/17ph. The wages are slowly going back to pre-covid levels.

I know of a firm …no names :wink: who’s poor attitude suddenlly changed towards their drivers for a while…
Facilities improved, no nasty e.mails for a while, and going from been looked upon as a necessary evil, to even at one point, at least one driver being actually thanked for their service one day. :open_mouth:

The charm offensive soon came to an end when things were looked upon as being back to normal.
Then the attitude towards drivers also went back to normal…I am told. :wink:

robroy:

AnotherDriver:

I know of a firm …no names :wink: who’s poor attitude suddenlly changed towards their drivers for a while…
Facilities improved, no nasty e.mails for a while, and going from been looked upon as a necessary evil, to even at one point, at least one driver being actually thanked for their service one day. :open_mouth:

The charm offensive soon came to an end when things were looked upon as being back to normal.
Then the attitude towards drivers also went back to normal…I am told. :wink:

Forget being a HGV driver and enlist to be an MP, And have lots of money and lots of agro, But dont worry about it just take the money, And live happy ever after, :angry: :angry: :angry:

ezydriver:

claretmatt:

No mention of overtime rate. So presumably it’s £11.16 p/h right through.

Part of the Kinaxia stable. Granted I was at another depot in another part of the country but the theory behind low wages at Foulgers was it was “youbeither drive a tractor or a truck out there” as some justification for it.

But its not just there. They will pay the lowest they can get away with in any given area and onkyvwhen they’ve burned through drivers willing to tolerate the crap will they up the rates.

But attract people they do. I know of people at my old place who have left and gone crawling back. I wouldn’t go back unless it was the very last option available.

Jimmy McNulty:

But as always the lowest paid job has been posted up , for as long as I’ve drove there will always be low paid jobs , it proves nothing , you need the average wage for that area to show how things are going ,a quick scan of Bradford makes me think £11 ph is not the average hourly rate