Batista`s posts about Irish work

Surely he means southern Ireland,as most euro firms go from there,Tippary,Wexford,with the likes of Dixons,he also got slated for asking some questions about the work,with a few valid points about paying for tolls,and if he would have to pay for them,in this case,some firms you pay out of your own pocket,and get it back later,or they put the money in your bank,then you lose out on the exchange rate,with the add on bank charges and commision,that the boss wont pay for.
Most that i have worked for,didnt have toll cards,and some,we had to pay the fuel,and get refunded later on.
i tried to get on the post about northern ireland,but there is a block filter on it,for some reason.As for getting the pods and cmrs back,we used to fax them back,and charge it on expenses,if they turn you around in a French port,then it is weeks before you get to base.

Yeah i thought the same thing and replied regarding working out of R.O.I As for being paid by an irish company in their local currency which is euro, so far i have found 2 ways of avoiding unnecessary bank charges for money transfares,
they are open both a current and euro dollar accounts at Citibank you get a visa debit card that you link to your accounts and you can switch between using it in the uk and eurozone free they don’t charge any fees for receiving money from overseas (eurozone) as they observe the sepa system unlike most uk high street banks
the other way would be to open a bank account in the ROI have your wage paid into that account ,again you get a debit card and transactions in other euro currency countries are free apart from the government tax on debit cards of 5 euro a year , if you need to send money home to pay bills ect then the post office offer a free service that uses the sepa system to transfare your euro & exchange it into Stirling , then forward it into your uk current account

http://www.citibank.co.uk/personal/banking/international/eurocurrent.htm?merchant=citi

http://www.ukpayments.org.uk/payment_options/cross_border_payments/single_euro_payments_area_(sepa)/

They are the 2 ways that i can see to be viable, but if any one else knows of a better way i would like to hear it , as im sure others would too, as it would be the same if you worked in other countries if paid in euro

toby, he started off on one thread asking about irish work but thought he needed an irish cpc so then started another about northern ireland.
as for paying for tolls and fuel toby either you’re talking years ago with running money or a crap company, no cards no drive simple as. the days of running money are gone, can you imagine fuelling up at todays prices? i can do 1000litres in 4 days thats 1300 euro without tolls :open_mouth:

tommy t, the point i was making was if you were paid in euros and doing european work the money you take out would be euros so no exchange rates, as for paying the bills the direct debit system is free isn’t it?

welshboyinspain:
toby, he started off on one thread asking about irish work but thought he needed an irish cpc so then started another about northern ireland.
as for paying for tolls and fuel toby either you’re talking years ago with running money or a crap company, no cards no drive simple as. the days of running money are gone, can you imagine fuelling up at todays prices? i can do 1000litres in 4 days thats 1300 euro without tolls :open_mouth:

tommy t, the point i was making was if you were paid in euros and doing european work the money you take out would be euros so no exchange rates, as for paying the bills the direct debit system is free isn’t it?

Exactly, I wouldn’t even work for a company that expected you to pay for tolls let alone fuel. I always you can tell the quality (a least finacially) of a company by how many cards they give you. Nolans had loads and here I have 4 fuel cards, a frejus/mont blanc card, toll collect card, a tag for Ireland, a tag for dartford, a tag for France and Spain and a tag for Italy! In contrast I met a chap the other day who I used to work with who was driving a fancy 620 Topline but for a company that holds no cards, just uses cash. He’d run out of running money and didn’t have enough fuel to get home. not my cup of tea I have to say.

As for being paid in Euros just bank with Barclays, I’ve never been charged.

welshboyinspain:

If you work overseas and are paid in euro into your everyday current account in the UK, via a swift/sepa transfer your bank would more than likely charge a fee for this on top of already making a profit on exchanging the euro into Stirling which most would do by default,
the two ways i gave details on avoid transfer fees and some or all of the money paid in by your employer would stay in euro, and with a either a bank card issued by a foreign bank or is a euro visa card, as again most banks in the uk will charge you a fee every time you use your debit/credit card outside the uk,
and as far as i know you can only pay direct debits into accounts that are within the same country using the same currency , so i would not be able to pay say British gas via dd from a bank outside the uk or from a currency account held in the uk,

I think when i was at nolans (same time as luke’s dad) we had about 12 cards,
routex, dkv, shell, solred, ressa, caplis (remember them?), as24, via (italy), eurotraffic, and some specific ones for ireland and uk.
after a couple of years if they trusted you they gave you a company visa card for the fines :laughing: :laughing: but i think thats stopped now.
as for the bloke driving a 620 but no fuel cards i’d rather a lesser truck and not have to pay for anything myself.

switchlogic:
Nolans had loads and here I have 4 fuel cards, a frejus/mont blanc card, toll collect card, a tag for Ireland, a tag for dartford, a tag for France and Spain and a tag for Italy!

By tags i take it, its the same as toll collect cards
what is a a frejus/mont blanc card?

tommy t:
If you work overseas and are paid in euro into your everyday current account in the UK, via a swift/sepa transfer your bank would more than likely charge a fee for this on top of already making a profit on exchanging the euro into Stirling which most would do by default,
the two ways i gave details on avoid transfer fees and some or all of the money paid in by your employer would stay in euro, and with a either a bank card issued by a foreign bank or is a euro visa card, as again most banks in the uk will charge you a fee every time you use your debit/credit card outside the uk,
and as far as i know you can only pay direct debits into accounts that are within the same country using the same currency , so i would not be able to pay say British gas via dd from a bank outside the uk or from a currency account held in the uk,

my in laws moved to spain after retiring and his pension is paid in sterling but gets transferred to euro FOC. i pay a direct debit from my spanish account to a uk co. and its free. they shouldn’t charge for accepting your wages, they never charged me when nolans paid into my account back in the late 1990’s, you need to find another bank. at the moment anybody being paid in euros would be better off living in the uk because the exchange is favourable that way, 2500 euro is about 2250 pound whereas it used to be 2500 euro was about 1700 pound

welshboyinspain:

Why not just splash the boat out on the last mile and take up a 3 year lease or 5 year higher purchace on a tractor unit and become an OD
And there you can get screwed on everthing

Batista230:

switchlogic:
Nolans had loads and here I have 4 fuel cards, a frejus/mont blanc card, toll collect card, a tag for Ireland, a tag for dartford, a tag for France and Spain and a tag for Italy!

are you still on this windup? a tag ie severn tag dart tag, have you never even crossed the severn bridge or dartford crossing :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
a frejus mont blanc card pays for frejus or mont blanc, if you don’t know what the mont blanc is you should really have paid more attention to the geography teacher in school

welshboyinspain:
I think when i was at nolans (same time as luke’s dad) we had about 12 cards,
routex, dkv, shell, solred, ressa, caplis (remember them?), as24, via (italy), eurotraffic, and some specific ones for ireland and uk.
after a couple of years if they trusted you they gave you a company visa card for the fines :laughing: :laughing: but i think thats stopped now.
as for the bloke driving a 620 but no fuel cards i’d rather a lesser truck and not have to pay for anything myself.

Wow yes I remember Caplis cards, think I’ve got the holder that came with it at home somewhere that dad gave me.

As for the 620 yes I was much happier in my little 440 working for a safe secure company happy in the knowlege my wages will be in the bank every week and not worrying that they’ve gone bust.

welshboyinspain:

Batista230:

switchlogic:

are you still on this windup? a tag ie severn tag dart tag, have you never even crossed the severn bridge or dartford crossing :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
a frejus mont blanc card pays for frejus or mont blanc, if you don’t know what the mont blanc is you should really have paid more attention to the geography teacher in school

I’m loving all the tags, I can’t remember the last time I had to go across the cab to pay a toll, early last year I think in Spain.

the tag system on the AP7 around fuengirola and marbella is reliant on the numpty in the box pushing a button for type of vehicle but sometimes they are so slow, the barrier has been clattered a few times :blush: :blush:

welshboyinspain:

tommy t:

my in laws moved to spain after retiring and his pension is paid in sterling but gets transferred to euro FOC. i pay a direct debit from my spanish account to a uk co. and its free. they shouldn’t charge for accepting your wages, they never charged me when nolans paid into my account back in the late 1990’s, you need to find another bank. at the moment anybody being paid in euros would be better off living in the uk because the exchange is favourable that way, 2500 euro is about 2250 pound whereas it used to be 2500 euro was about 1700 pound

you tell that to the natwest or rbs and hsbc, in fact most want to charge £7 or £8 per transfare, and still make money from exchanging it by giving a crap rate

tommy t:

welshboyinspain:

tommy t:

you tell that to the natwest or rbs and hsbc, in fact most want to charge £7 or £8 per transfare, and still make money from exchanging it by giving a crap rate

Halifax are the same, my Dad was being paid into his Halifax account till recently, £32 a month for the privilege. He’s with Barclays now like me, they don’t charge and give a fairly decent exchange rate.

What’s the name of the account? as when i asked within my local branch they didn’t offer any info? i’ll have a look online

tommy t:
What’s the name of the account? as when i asked within my local branch they didn’t offer any info? i’ll have a look online

whats the name of the account? what are you nigerian :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
please send me your name and account number i can transfer the money very quickly, your friend king jumba :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
sorry couldn’t resist :blush:

It’s just the basic current account

found a pdf on the euro account That page can't be found which is a little confusing

I don’t have a euro account just a standard sterling account.

I wonder if batty will ask what sterling is…