Banning trucks from London

Is when is this wondrous event supposed to take place? I detest going there, its not like I can’t do it, its just a relentless grind that I’d rather not do. I kept hearing how the new Mayor was supposed to be tackling the HGV menace plaguing the streets of the Captial. How he was going to save all the victimized cyclists and cab drivers from the monstrous metal agents of death and their fire breathing drivers. How he was going to save London from these vile, putrid, polluting beasts…

So why haven’t we been banned from entering London? Surely London must be screaming in terror every day when Satan in metal form descends to cause chaos?

Please please make this be true, and going to happen.

Ban everything over 7.5 tonnes…

One of my few joys is that apart from an annual exhibition and the occasional van delivering paperwork, we only go into Heathrow. It’s a blessing to avoid any town centre.

biggriffin:

Everything over 7.5 from everywhere inside the M25.

Come on, Sadiq, get it done.

TheUncaringCowboy:

biggriffin:

I’d vote for it…
Mr khan won’t put it in his manifesto when his elections come around.

TheUncaringCowboy:

biggriffin:

I hope not, i have a job just on the north circular, not far into london so i only have to worry about the traffic on said road, literally just come off m1, turn around, drop the stuff off and hop back on the m1 to get the hell out of london.

Tomorrow is not soon enough. London is a loverly place…When you see it in the rear view mirror

Yep sooner the better. I think all dileveries inside the m25 should be done by thousands of cyclists pulling a trailer with a pallet on each.

All you need is 4 massive warehouses/distribution centres (1 each at M11, Dartford, J9 and Heathrow) around the m25 where we can deliver part loads and then a fleet of electric vehicles can then take the consolidated deliveries into the M25 area.
All full loads that are 1 customer still have to be delivered by yourselves, but at least it would be a start.
You have a full load but for various delivery points, they still have to go to the distribution centres.
Oh what a dreamer I am.
3 2 1 and I’m back in the room

Sent using smoke signals

This should help .

tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra- … tcmp=54371

If your vehicle don’t meet euro 6 you won’t be able to entry the congestion charge zone with out paying £100.00 daily + the congestion charge
from April 2019.

Baldy91:
…should be done by thousands of cyclists pulling a trailer with a pallet on each.

That’d be an interesting one but can you imagine the carnage at every set of traffic lights as they all ignore the red lights and crunch. I not smirking. :smiling_imp:

Re the Euro 6 thing - can understand some of those listed but Fire Engines FFS!?

Not only will the ones in the centre of London need scrapping, but if theres a major fire like Grenfeld, they cant bring in engines from the surrounding area without paying £100 each unless they’ve been checked.

Absolute nutcase mayor.

Just checked the truck I drive. Bring it on as it will incure the charge. Gonna love telling my Boss to stick London :smiley: :smiley:

When I operated my own truck in the 1980s I banned myself from going to London because of a special permit for which I had to apply staffed by an assortment of morons who dealt with enquiries.i used to carry fruit,etc from Spain up to Covent Garden.
Even now I won’t go closer than the M25 on my way to a ferry and then no later than 0500.

fingermissing:
This should help .

tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra- … tcmp=54371

If your vehicle don’t meet euro 6 you won’t be able to entry the congestion charge zone with out paying £100.00 daily + the congestion charge
from April 2019.

Includes gritters,refuse lorry’s,buses and coaches… Hope all the council’s, and emergency services are euro6, or this could be a brilliant own goal. A proper Mr khan moment.

trevHCS:

Baldy91:
…should be done by thousands of cyclists pulling a trailer with a pallet on each.

That’d be an interesting one but can you imagine the carnage at every set of traffic lights as they all ignore the red lights and crunch. I not smirking. :smiling_imp:

Re the Euro 6 thing - can understand some of those listed but Fire Engines FFS!?

Not only will the ones in the centre of London need scrapping, but if theres a major fire like Grenfeld, they cant bring in engines from the surrounding area without paying £100 each unless they’ve been checked.

Absolute nutcase mayor.

Smelly lorry bad.

insert fingers into ears and yell loudly

I imagine that’s probably the response you would get if you pointed out your above example. How short some memories are, even when it comes to something that was supposedly horrific and never to happen again, eh?

trevHCS:

Baldy91:

Absolute nutcase mayor.

I was thinking of the next fire mans strike. Doubt them green goddesses are environmentally friendly.

Seem to remember some years ago, possibly the seventies,the central London councils wanting all HGV’s operating at night to be fitted with air brake “hush kits” Somebody had just dreamed this up and I think,the whole thing was quietly dropped when it was realised the technology did not exist and was never likely to be delevoped.

Tyneside

lizard:
All you need is 4 massive warehouses/distribution centres (1 each at M11, Dartford, J9 and Heathrow) around the m25 where we can deliver part loads and then a fleet of electric vehicles can then take the consolidated deliveries into the M25 area.
All full loads that are 1 customer still have to be delivered by yourselves, but at least it would be a start.
You have a full load but for various delivery points, they still have to go to the distribution centres.
Oh what a dreamer I am.
3 2 1 and I’m back in the room

Sent using smoke signals

I don’t think it’s far off, possibly not in my lifetime, but goods brought in by platooning to distribution centres dotted around the M25.

TheUncaringCowboy:

biggriffin:

FYI Kahn’s empire doesn’t include ‘everywhere within the M25’ because the M25 actually denotes nothing but a motorway running through London’s surrounding counties and long may it be so. :unamused:

I hope so much that they literally ban everything including refuse trucks. Shops will get delayed delivered due to capacity on smaller vehicles. I hope the cyclists start begging for lorries to come back when the streets are full of rubbish that can’t be all collected as quickly with the capacity of the larger truck.