Alert professional drivers?

Wheel Nut:
Needs Speakers :stuck_out_tongue:

ROTFL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Driveroneuk:
i don’t think we have anyone, at least who is prepared to admit it, being from VOSA.

:bulb: :bulb: trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/profile.ph … ile&u=1291 :question: :question:

Driveroneuk:

Wheel Nut:
Needs Speakers :stuck_out_tongue:

ROTFL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Amen to that. :slight_smile:

Spardo:

Instructorone:
including entrance and exit to the cab,

Please tell me it isn’t true, that the new wannabee drivers these days to the industry which I have loved need to be taught such things. :open_mouth: :cry: :smiling_imp:

Oh yes. When I was a young driver I was trying to get access to my cab through the exhaust pipe, and I was really worried, that I am to fat to get in. How lucky I was, that there came some old - school driver, who showed me where the doors are and how to use them.

After about 4 months I was even able to choose proper door by myself, and i no longer had to climb over the englne to change the seat from left to right… :wink:

you get taught how to get in and out of the truck properly by your driving instructor so why give them further training on it, its something that you can teach in like 15 seconds,

use handles when climbing into the cab
climb down backwards on the way out holding handles,

there ive taught a froob to climb in and out a truck.

gogzy:
you get taught how to get in and out of the truck properly by your driving instructor so why give them further training on it, its something that you can teach in like 15 seconds,

I couldn’t agree more, its written in on our assessment sheet, to protect our drivers and clients we show them how to do this correctly, in probably 15 seconds as you say, and the trainee signs to show he has been shown correctly. :slight_smile:

instructorone:
hello spardo,

unfortunately these things have to be done. Because of the state of the industry today, claims being made against companys, health and safety and much more.

However, the up-side to this is that with all of the respective training, not only are both sides being protected, but it must improve road safety as well. If it does, then surely this is a good thing.

No, it is not, if companies are so worried they can tell newbies such things in the first place, though personally if anyone had come to me when I was employing and needed such wet nursing he would have been passed on very quickly. Teaching people how to drive sensibly is what is needed coupled with experience-led advice, not wasting valuable time adding arsewiping lessons to mentally defectives who shouldn’t be behind the wheel of a 44 tonner under any circumstances.

instructorone:

gogzy:

I couldn’t agree more, its written in on our assessment sheet, to protect our drivers and clients we show them how to do this correctly, in probably 15 seconds as you say, and the trainee signs to show he has been shown correctly. :slight_smile:

Trainee ? Ahh I thought you were after experienced professionals who of course don’t need that jumped up ■■■■■■■■, and would probably avoid any company who thought they did, I would. :unamused:

No, its not JUST the trainee we show this to…Its the Experienced Professionals aswell…that should know better…you know the ones…they’ve become complacent after all those years driving, that didn’t take care how they got in and out the cab, and are now sueing the arse out the industry and bleeting that no-one ever took the time (all of 15 secs) to show them correctly!!
15 secs showing them ensures they know, and ensures they wont be sueing mine or my clients arse should they not do it correctly and end up on their arses. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Hmmm… this reminds me of an incident I had a few years ago…
open cab door after checking all is safe to exit of course… 3 point climb down… both feet flat on floor… so far so good :slight_smile: … shuts door with right hand… OUCH - [ZB] - [ZB] - [ZB] :exclamation: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: … forgot to move left hand out of the way… those hospitals love to put that needle into a finger that is already stinging like mad :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

instructorone:

gogzy:

but to pass a truck driving test you have to at all times get in and out of the cab correctly. it is a serious waste of time to do it again. i rarely get out of the cab properly, but ive only got 2 steps into my cab so im not that high off the ground, if i had like 4 steps then obv id get out proerly cause its soo big.

i have had a ticking off before for not getting out properly. i didnt use the single step. if i remember correctly i blew my top, had a go at him and walked away rather than get sacked for smacking him :imp:

Appropriate timing of this dicsussion.

After last saturday i think i know how to get in & out.

I could see it was going to be a busy day with 7 trailer changes, so, just out of interest i began to count the number of times i climbed in.
I did get rather busy and distracted at times, but kept as accurate as i could pen mark count.

Twas somewhere between 40 & 50, with 47 being my approximate count.

… and Doc says i need more exersize :unamused:

Training wouldnt have helped me when I brought another truck over from Holland. I had been driving an FM12 with 2 steps and they gave me an FH12 to swap at Cadburys. No problem the FM is very similar to the FH to drive. The dash looks the same, the i shift works the same.

The only difference was the extra step when I climbed down at Marlbrook, completely missed it and sat on my arse in a puddle :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
Training wouldnt have helped me when I brought another truck over from Holland. I had been driving an FM12 with 2 steps and they gave me an FH12 to swap at Cadburys. No problem the FM is very similar to the FH to drive. The dash looks the same, the i shift works the same.

The only difference was the extra step when I climbed down at Marlbrook, completely missed it and sat on my arse in a puddle :stuck_out_tongue:

Reminds me of an old nursery rhyme…
Round and round the garden
like a teddy bear (the shape of many truckers :exclamation: - ducks for cover :blush: )
One step - Two step
Onto my derryaire (OK, so I changed it a bit)

in many places that i have been to do agency work, before they would let you out their transport manager would do a driving assement, this would usually be a highway code test, a vehicle check test where you would talk them through the check, then the driving, this involves getting in and out of the truck properly, if they are happy you sign to say youve done it and if their not happy they will pick up on it, i know this really covers their own backs incase any thing happens, but surley thats all it needs not some OCSR certificate. I really think driving a Loaded truck should be part of the hgv test, and maybe scrap the test all together and issue hgv licences on a progression basis, so once your driving is upto a certain standard progressively you can obtain a licence. ive seen so many poor drivers do 4days training then go for a test on the 5th day or sometimes 41/2 days & by some way of a miracle pass.

kemaro:
ive seen so many poor drivers do 4days training then go for a test on the 5th day or sometimes 41/2 days & by some way of a miracle pass.

Now I will quote myself from another recent thread…

ROG:

Wheel Nut:
Im getting used to being slated by being outspoken, but I believe the problem lies in the fact that there are too many driving instructors who were good drivers but cannot teach, rather than good teachers or tutors who can drive a lorry.

BANG :exclamation: :exclamation:
Hit one of the nails on the head first time :smiley: :smiley:

IMO there are 2 nails: -
1 - Instructors who can teach to pass a test (DSA) and those who teach driving (Beyond DSA).
2 - Trainees who cannot drive properly in the first place.

The problem with no.2 is that it is almost impossible to teach someone HOW to drive properly in under 20 hours if they have multiple general driving faults - the instructor is lucky to get them somewhere near DSA standard :exclamation:

How do you change the THINKING aspect of a person in a week :question:

The solution to number 2 is to have the prospective trainee practice safe driving in their current vehicle for a few months prior to their training and to ask for an independant honest view on their current driving. This could be done by having a FREE assessment by one of the driving charity organisations or by an experienced LGV driver.
The trainee MUST be open to critisism otherwise they are wasting their time and that of the person assessing them.

Well, thats my view - anyone got any other SOLUTIONS :question: :question: :question:

i grew up in a bus yard and by the age of nine i was shunting buses and coaches around and as i got older using the wrecker to move the brokendown vehicles, it goes without saying that when it came to my test i was more than prepared for it, as a truck driver im still learning new things all the time especially driving round london, i just cant see how a week is enough time to let somebody loose in what is potentialy a deadly weapon in the wrong hands able to kill hundreds of people if misused in a matter of seconds(particulary if the person passed in an uprated 7.5t flatbed to class it as C2 ive seen this done).the same can be said for the psv licence,1 week then you can drive a coach that can carry upto 75 people or more nowadays,would you want to be on that coach with johhny rush and his brand new licene bombing down the m4. my father is a coach driver and has been for forty years,next month he has to do the first part of his cpc,his biggest gripe with this is the fact the person doing the classroom based training doesnt even have to have a licence.

my father is a coach driver and has been for forty years,next month he has to do the first part of his cpc,his biggest gripe with this is the fact the person doing the classroom based training doesnt even have to have a licence.

…and this is likely to be the case for some of the LGV DRIVER CPC trainers :open_mouth: :open_mouth: - Disgusting :angry: :angry:

Wheel Nut:

Good point. Do they teach them on every model on European roads nowadays? What about a Magnum, different technique altogether but even my lady had it worked out within 2 minutes. Talk about money for old rope, if it wasn’t such a boring job I’d have taken up instructorising years ago. :unamused: :laughing:

Just a thought, do traffic wardens have to be taught how to walk? :confused: