A few basic questions i need answered

Hi again folks…was looking for some advice/info regarding the following-

1. Say i go to work for a haulage firm and have to do a pre-determined amount of drops and or uplifts of goods etc., will the company have already determined that all weights of goods to be carried that day are suitable to the vehicle in that i won’t be overloaded?

2. Please don’t laugh too hard at this one- Is it normal for Hauliers to supply there drivers with Sat nav equipment nowadays or are you left to supply your own or just use maps in general? The reason i ask, is i’m guessing it would be in there interests to supply them in order to attain better delivery times etc…please tell me if i’m wrong!

Curiously,

Bill :slight_smile:

1. They may have to a certain extent but things change during the shift so it is something you need to keep an eye on.

2… You’re wrong. :wink: :smiley:

1. Rare ive only worked with about two companies where the companies have had satnavs. One was B&Q doing class 2 work other was 7.5 tonner with an electrical company in Govan can’t even remember there name and involved drops to building sites, offices, etc…

Some companies will supply a print out map with directions for a run. Espec if you are new to get the job done but again i wouldnt bank on it with a lot of companies. Usually told to go ask another driver for advice.

One company which was good doing multidrop was AAH who did independant chemists and Llyods ones. If you didnt know the run the TM would give you a map with the shops highlighted, also on the run sheet the beside the address with be map page and coordinates. If the shop was kinda complex to get to because of weight and height diversion he would make a note of how to get there.

I don’t know why a lot of companies dont get their act together with this kinda thing. Espec when they have lots of agency drivers working for them, for the sake of £5 for a local map save a fortune compared to wasted diesel and wasted hours with drivers wandering about lost and at worst getting so lost they dont finish the run.

Really it is down to the agency driver to sort out their own means of navigation, true a lot of companies will give you a printed map, or one hand drawn by another driver.However, if you employed a plumber to do a couple of jobs round your house would you be impressed if he turned up and asked to borrow a spanner, or would you expect him to supply his own basic tools of the trade?

I gotta spannerrr…

Cheers guys…i’ll probably invest in a Sat nav system…thanks! :smiley:

ps…i did try to buy a “trucker’s atlas” today…but it was the size of a tombstone…i’ll have to get the smaller one when i next pass Harthill services :wink:

Cheers :laughing:

jimboy124:
I gotta spannerrr…

No, you are a spanner. There’s a difference. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

GlesgaBill:
i’ll have to get the smaller one when i next pass Harthill services :wink:

No offence but only a numpty would buy from an MSA, get it from Amazon and save a few quid.

Can anyone recommend a good SAT NAV system, to include bridge heights etc :blush:

Anyway, Thanks ‘GlesgaBill’, I’ve always been scared to ask the sacred question ‘How do you find your drop point in an area you’ve never been to?’

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

seeker019:
‘How do you find your drop point in an area you’ve never been to?’

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Use a map, either electronic or paper based - doesn’t matter which as they both do the same thing. Ask another driver from your company who has been there before. Get to the are and ask, not really recommended as most folk don’t know much about the area they live in, I know I don’t. Phone 1118118* and get the phone number for the company and call them. This also has problems as the directions often begin something along the lines of - “Well, you know the Horse & Hounds?” “No, if I knew the Horse & Hounds I would likely know were you are and I wouldn’t be calling numbnuts.” :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: Other than that you usually get decent enough directions to find them

*Other directory services are available.

if you going to use a satnav system the fist thing id ask is can you read and effectivly use a paper map if the answer is no then please learn before getting a satnav system please do go for the snooper system if over price a tomotm one or mio c250 will do a fairly good job the mio will allow more way points to be used always a handy thing thought the tomtom is usually good enough and putting bridge on it is easier

Get a Navman F20 cheap as chips and very good pretty robust also used mine now for the last year and never let me down except when I first started out and didnt know how to use it properly… you can download speed camera information but to be honest can never understand why someone would want to do so. shouldnt be going over the speed limit anyway plus the big yellow boxes and lines in the road are a bit of a give away. :smiley: < just my opinion

I work solely for agency and never come across a company that provides sat nave … but most have in cab phones and provide you with trip sheets which have the name address postcode and telephone number of the place you are going to… so in that respect you have all the info you need. Low bridges < never come across one but if you do then Sat Nav should recalculate a route.

You can also ask before you set off if there is anything you need to be wary of most of the transport managers supervisors or what ever have done the routes before so they know the pitfalls.

:smiley:

a company that supplies maps an sat navs? humm have you put any serious thuoght into your newly chosen career? not having a go but it aint all about cruising along with-out a care in the world listening to the radio/cd. Its at times highly stressful and frustrating being a trucker.You are expected to find places that wont be on a map let alone sat-nav,you work alone most of the time and youve gota be able to use plenty of inititive, maps are essential to any good driver,dont rely on sat-navs alone as most are designed for cars anyway.A quick tip if your going to use sat-nav,after youve programed your destination,check the instructions of the route it is giving you against your truckers atlas,then that way you can avoid most low-bridges on route,also be wary when it shows B roads as thats where the numptys usually come un-stuck or should i say stuck! :unamused: But at the end of the day its your responcibility to get to the destination,on time and safely welcome to our world! it has its rewards too,theres no better site than seeing the back headboard of your truck,knowing that the drops are done and you can head off home :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

seeker019:
Can anyone recommend a good SAT NAV system, to include bridge heights etc :blush:

truckers atlas. satnav ■■■■■ :laughing:

scanny77:
truckers atlas. satnav ■■■■■ :laughing:

and

scanny77:
… the next generation. evolution and all that :stuck_out_tongue: :smiling_imp:

Not much in the way of evolution if you can’t use the latest generation maps, and blame them for your shortcomings, is it?

Don’t think I feel the least bit threatened after all. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

on the other hand, i WONT use ‘satnav’ (i have the latest generation maps, satnav isnt a map) therefore i find my destinations by the more tried and tested methods of maps, phone or asking someone. no serious shortcomings so far. shops found, deliveries completed, wages spent :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

scanny77:
on the other hand, i WONT use ‘satnav’ (i have the latest generation maps, satnav isnt a map)

You’re more stupid than I thought, what the hell is it if it isn’t a map?

A paper based map has details of the road network to enable you to locate and navigate your way to a specified destination

A SatNav has details of the road network to enable you to locate and navigate your way to a specified destination.

Spot the difference? No, neither can I.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

its a gizmo. if it was a map, it would be called a map and ordnance survey would make them. dont you listen to radio 2? :laughing:

old age is creeping in. 30 is approaching fast and i have started listening to radio 2 at work :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

What do you see when you go to maps.google.co.uk, scanny77? Looks like a map to me, just one that you can scroll and zoom around.

I’ll let you in to a little secret - you don’t have to use the route planning feature of a SatNav, you can just use it as a map. Yes, it’s a bit more expensive that a Philips Navigator (although probably cheaper than a full set of Philips county maps), but you can fit it in your pocket, and it doesn’t make your day bag weigh half a tonne - very useful if you’re changing vehicle on a daily basis.

i have almost all of the mainland covered at great cost. it would be throwing money away to buy a satnav when i dont need it. i have the maps and i carry a load covering a radius of 5 hours from base. the rest are at home. i get to work, find out where im going and select the relevant maps. i update them with bridge heights and other relevant information as i travel around so why waste all that money (£600ish) by spending a few more hundred on something i am doing well without? it wouldnt make sense

on a slightly different note, it seems that only a small percentage of us can read a map these days. i mean that as general motorists as apposed to the members of this site. apparently, there are a lot of people who wouldnt recognise the blue lines as motorways :open_mouth: