62 points and is still allowed to drive

Motorist with 62 penalty points legally allowed to drive

And people wonder why the standard of driving is so bad :unamused:

Obviously has a complete disregard for the law and clearly should have been banned ages ago.

The law is a bit odd on this as only the highest points on one stop count for the top up

Extreme example
Driver gets stopped for speeding + mobile phone + 4 bald tyres all at the same time = 18 points total but only 3 points count towards the 12 top up

People like that should not be allowed on the road. Allowing him to keep his licence sends a bad message to others that they can get away with breaking the law making the roads more dangerous for everyone.

Davec22:
People like that should not be allowed on the road. Allowing him to keep his licence sends a bad message to others that they can get away with breaking the law making the roads more dangerous for everyone.

It’s not just people like him though.There are plenty like him that do not get caught because of the lack of police presence on our roads.
Everyday you see drivers driving like idiots (sad thing is some don’t even realise they are driving like an idiot) and they get away with it.
Standards of driving are at an all time low. Fact.

Surely someone with that many points would either be uninsurable or priced out the market.

weeto:
Surely someone with that many points would either be uninsurable or priced out the market.

62 points on his license I doubt he’s bothered about insurance

Possibly a taxi driver running around on business insurance, who’s pleaded that they have an extended family to support, along with disabled parents who need frequent hospital appointments

peirre:
Possibly a taxi driver running around on business insurance, who’s pleaded that they have an extended family to support, along with disabled parents who need frequent hospital appointments

I caught a taxi back last summer and the driver told me he had more than 12 points and the way he drove i didn’t doubt him and he said they let him off because he had 5 kids to support !! He wasn’t a local guy.

ROG:
The law is a bit odd on this as only the highest points on one stop count for the top up

Extreme example
Driver gets stopped for speeding + mobile phone + 4 bald tyres all at the same time = 18 points total but only 3 points count towards the 12 top up

The points for bald tyres do stack.

Big burner:

ROG:

Extreme example

The points for bald tyres do stack.

I’ve only had a quick read but according to the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 where someone is convicted of more than one offence on the same occasion only one lot of points (the highest) will be attributed.

Though I believe the court does have the discretion give points for each offence if they choose.

Where a person is convicted (whether on the same occasion or not) of two or more offences committed on the same occasion and involving obligatory endorsement,
the total number of penalty points to be attributed to them is the number or highest number that would be attributed on a conviction of one of them (so that if the
convictions are on different occasions the number of penalty points to be attributed to the offences on the later occasion or occasions shall be restricted accordingly).

In a case where (apart from this subsection) subsection (4) above would apply to two or more offences, the court may if it thinks fit determine that that subsection
shall not apply to the offences (or, where three or more offences are concerned, to any one or more of them).

Nigel, in Cambridgeshire, said: "I am driving on 15 points.
"I am 67 with elderly parents and five children. I am one big care home and I rush around trying to do everything that needs to be done. Last time I got points, I was driving at 98 mph on am empty bypass - I was delivering oxygen services to my 91-year-old father.
“I had a very understanding magistrate who let me keep my licence,” he told the BBC.
"There are so many cameras that if you have to drive 50,000+ miles a year you are almost bound to get more than 12 points in three years. We are not dangerous drivers in fact we are probably the safest in the country as we drive so many miles.
“All my points were on motorways or duel carriageways.”

Having a busy life does not excuse you from racking up the points! The bolded line cracks me up the most. You aren’t a safe driver if you’re racking up 12+ points over 3 years!

You are quite correct Radar.Speeding drivers can be very dangerous.
The ones that take the law into their own hands are the worst.
Drivers that speed on the open roads tend to speed in town as well and many a child has died through their arrogance.

I do know of a lad that was running a tipper up and down the same road on a job, daft sod managed to pick up about 6 speeding tickets in a couple of days, all 45 to 50 (nsl scotland) lost his licence! I felt sorry for him as he was a good enough lad, BUT - the camera was prtty dam obvious and all the usual road markings were as clear as crstal… (his boss give him other work until he got his lenience back so it wern’t end of the world stuff)

One of our lads has 12 points but they let him keep his license to see his kids.

The driving standards in UK are great, might be not as great as in the past(according to some of you), but ■■■■ great in my book. Drivers are tolerant, 99% of them follow the speed limit, most people thank with 4 way flashers etc. Yes here and there a driver might not use turn signal or might wait until last second when merging, but thats exceptions.
I feel so much LESS stress since I started driving in UK, I enjoy it as well.

P.S. Be positive and courteous driver yourself and people will repay your goodwill :wink:

But what part of the uk are you driving in Dolph, obviously not 'darn sarf ’ ■■ :slight_smile:

raymundo:
But what part of the uk are you driving in Dolph, obviously not 'darn sarf ’ ■■ :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t think it is West Yorkshire either!

Think it must be Scotland then as we are all perfect gents of the road up here, apart from the female drivers that is !! :smiley:

raymundo:

I don’t know what you call South, does South Yorkshire counts? Thats where I started driving, people drove OK, though I moved to Scotland from there. You must appreciate what you have and dont criticize UK drivers so much.

Go to Bulgaria, hire a car from the airport and drive Sofia - Varna, if you don’t throw the keys away at the end of the trip I’ll buy you a bottle of good Scottish whiskey :wink: :grimacing: