40mph on S/C.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h … s-20579037

What I don’t understand is that he says that sticking to the 40mph limit on the A9 makes motorists frustrated and attempt silly overtake manoeuvres. If he thinks this, then why is he urging fellow truckers to stick to the 40 limit? Is he trying to cause an accident or something just to prove a point?

damoq:
Lorry drivers in Scottish speed campaign - BBC News

What I don’t understand is that he says that sticking to the 40mph limit on the A9 makes motorists frustrated and attempt silly overtake manoeuvres. If he thinks this, then why is he urging fellow truckers to stick to the 40 limit? Is he trying to cause an accident or something just to prove a point?

He is trying to show that if ALL truckers stick rigidly to the 40 limit then other motorists will get so frustrated that they will put pressure on the authorities to change it

Business as usual for some of us.

I cant see the foot down everywhere brigade doing this so its only going to be the ones who do it anyway so kinda pointless.

damoq:

If there is an accident because he is driving at 40 then it is hardly his fault. The reason the limit has never been increased is no doubt because of the muppets that drive on the limiter all day.

The speed limit wont be changed so everyone mite as well forget about it and carry on a usual.

I wonder what sort of car Mr McKenna drives :confused:

Mr McKenna told BBC Scotland that a higher limit would allow traffic to flow better.

He added that modern tractor units were safer and, if necessary, could brake to a stop quicker than some cars.

tachograph:
I wonder what sort of car Mr McKenna drives :confused:

Mr McKenna told BBC Scotland that a higher limit would allow traffic to flow better.

He added that modern tractor units were safer and, if necessary, could brake to a stop quicker than some cars.

+1

waddy640:

damoq:

If there is an accident because he is driving at 40 then it is hardly his fault. The reason the limit has never been increased is no doubt because of the muppets that drive on the limiter all day.

I know what you are saying. But the fact that Mr McKenna says that trucks doing 40mph cause car drivers to get frustrated and attempt suicidal overtakes, then suggests that trucks should stick to 40 as a means of protest is slightly confusing and contradictory IMO.

damoq:

waddy640:

damoq:

I know what you are saying. But the fact that Mr McKenna says that trucks doing 40mph cause car drivers to get frustrated and attempt suicidal overtakes, then suggests that trucks should stick to 40 as a means of protest is slightly confusing and contradictory IMO.

It is a problem that the government should deal with but they continue to ignore it in the hope that it will go away.

Whichever way you look at it it should not be up to drivers to break the law in order to reduce accidents. BRAKE do themselves no favours by stating that speed is a factor in accidents but ignore the fact that both high and low speeds can be contributory factors.

Saaamon:
The speed limit wont be changed so everyone mite as well forget about it and carry on a usual.

Did you not read this last week, gov.uk/government/consultat … eway-roads
It’s up for negotiation

40 is ok, 38/36 is annoying :unamused: especially if they don’t boot it for a hill/incline and slow to 25 :imp:

speedyguy:

Saaamon:

It’s up for negotiation

Yeah i have be reading about it on here and CM, but im very pessimistic about it. Although i dont stick to 40 at all, strangely i dont support this, im worried that some people will see it as a goal and think it will lead to more accidents on singles.

It’s a pointless consultation anyway .We cannot have 5mph increments in the speed limits .If the law was changed to allow them i.e 40 raised to 45 then just about every analogue speedometer would have to be changed to show 5mph segments in the dial otherwise people would just be guessing

speedyguy:

Saaamon:

It’s up for negotiation

yes but only in england and wales

scotstrucker:

speedyguy:

Saaamon:

It’s up for negotiation

We’ll have to remember to slow down for you when will come up north… Spose we’ll have to bring our passports soon aswell :laughing:

Saaamon:

scotstrucker:

speedyguy:

Saaamon:

It’s up for negotiation

We’ll have to remember to slow down for you when will come up north… Spose we’ll have to bring our passports soon aswell :laughing:

:laughing: na the split will never happen it’s all just huff n puff

Schofield:
Business as usual for some of us.

Yep.

It’s completely pointless upping the speed limit for heavies because there will always be a queue of cars behind who want to go faster, and it’s about time people had a moment of clarity and understood that.

Up the limit to 50mph and there will be a queue of cars, up the limit to 60mph and again there will be queue of cars.

I keep hearing the some word over and over again…frustration. So who exactly is getting frustrated? Do something about the people who are getting frustrated and I guarantee the accident rate will fall dramatically.

When im in my car following a lorry even if its doing 50 which most lorries never seem actually do :confused:, its still slow anyway and im still looking to overtake, its the corners that are the problem and getting up to speed off roundabouts etc. The best thing they could do is get rid of limiters or atleast require them to be set at 60, no more or less.

speedyguy:
It’s up for negotiation

Looks like we’ll be getting it.
gov.uk/government/news/plan … ost-growth

Boosting economic growth :laughing: :laughing:

ThrustMaster:
I keep hearing the some word over and over again…frustration. So who exactly is getting frustrated?

Those no getting their hole. :stuck_out_tongue: