1st week Box Jockey observations

miss lucy did you ever have to collect a fridge gen that is attached separately a fridge box
nobody told me to record the temperatures of the load

Cite: 15 years spent mostly in the short sea box game)

Never thought you’d admit to that Lucy-being on the game that is :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Isobella Ferreria:
miss lucy did you ever have to collect a fridge gen that is attached separately a fridge box

Never had to in 15 odd years-you’ve only got the box for the first or last part of the journey so not strictly your problem. As long as you leave the gennie banging away if you are told to(switch it off overnight if not) then you’re good. If the users are concerned about continuous tracking there’ll be be a recorder in the box.

Just wait till you go to iport at doncaster. Take a thick book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

u wil need a shave by time come out

always take big brush to sweep container has next customer no like debris and dust

Isobella Ferreria:
always take big brush to sweep container has next customer no like debris and dust

Don’t carry brush as it’s the consignee responsibility to make sure box is clean

blue estate:
don’t do it salaried

OMG, that still happens? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Seems to me that you can’t really do that when finish times aren’t guaranteed. You could end up on effectively less than minimum wage. This is 2023 ffs. Boycott these firms, stick together drivers, come on.

I made that mistake of salaried on containers, if you couldn’t get back on fryday nite the boss did not pay the night out for Friday only Monday to Thursday.

To run bak to yard on Saturday, he did not pay for that , but the blue eyed boys were always back very early on a Friday as got the cream job on Fridays.

The run back to yard on Saturday could be four hours driving away

Some of them were finished by 10.00 am Friday and other drivers would touch the front grill of the truck to feel the heat of the engine to guess if they got the cream and finish early

Noremac:

blue estate:
don’t do it salaried

OMG, that still happens? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Seems to me that you can’t really do that when finish times aren’t guaranteed. You could end up on effectively less than minimum wage. This is 2023 ffs. Boycott these firms, stick together drivers, come on.

Last job was salaried but didn’t usually do more than 50 hours.
Now I’ve done 27 already but paid every minute , night out paid and parking paid
Sat in Bransons cross tonight .
This job is as easy or hard as you make it :wink:
I don’t regret making the change and my right knee loves it as well, even my ankles are less swollen .
Got a 3am start but could have a 3 hour load tomorrow

There is no reason to sit in the cab for hours for a long hand ball tip or reload, they can be six hours, one lad said he regularly took two days to load as there is a long queue waiting load or tip handball and each container takes seven hours.

I would give the depot staff my mobile phone number and say call me when they are one hour away from emptying it or loading the container so I could get out from the cab and walk around exploring places.

bloke i know Tony Horton used to be a radio dj while sat waiting for a container,iv not heard him on Felixstowe radio lately however

Had a 1st today, box came and it still had all the snipping locks in the bottom holes so straddler had to go and get them taken out

blue estate:

Isobella Ferreria:

Don’t carry brush as it’s the consignee responsibility to make sure box is clean

On the rare occasion that i get the short straw [emoji16] and have to collect an empty box from a depot for loading we have to check to make sure it’s fit for purpose [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848] thought everybody did the same??

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Isobella Ferreria:

Yeah, we used the occasional genset. But you need to remember that reefer boxes are designed to be intermodal, so were built in the expectation that they’d go through several pairs of hands along the way. To this end, the fridge units on the boxes themselves are “pre-tripped”, setting the temperature and automatically recording what happens to it through the voyage. Most drivers need never go anywhere near them, genset or not.

polytrotter:

blue estate:

Isobella Ferreria:

On the rare occasion that i get the short straw [emoji16] and have to collect an empty box from a depot for loading we have to check to make sure it’s fit for purpose [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848] thought everybody did the same??

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Agreed. That said, we were a) short sea and b) the shipping line’s own vehicles, so it may have been different for us. Thinking about it I don’t remember needing to worry about either when I was on deep sea boxes before that.

3 weeks in now and must be loving it as I’m working OT tomorrow :open_mouth:

blue estate:

Hold that thought…

Let’s see if the magic’s still there in a few months over winter.

yourhavingalarf:

blue estate:

Hold that thought…

Let’s see if the magic’s still there in a few months over winter.

Would be even less there if I was doing general again for another winter :wink:

Are you on for marmite mate…?