1st week Box Jockey observations

Well I’ve been a FT Box jockey for a week and it’s been sheer bliss as the only curtains I’ve pulled have been cab ones and the only straps I’ve touched has been my ankle support ,
I’ve had 3 5 hour Devans all hourly paid and no breaks deducted .
Other observations muppets frequent Southampton Container terminal 24/7 and some look like they’ve just come from a Dover beach .
But the job is easy very very easy all you need is a pulse and a DP world ticket and cat C+E licence

The firm I work for is a bit corporate in some things but don’t chase you if you’re late if you keep them updated but does pay hourly , parking and OT , my truck is only 3 years old and with about 4 others are the oldest rest range younger to 4 new this week
I’m in an 70plt XF , there’s 21plt XFs as well , 22 plt Actros , 22plt XG both mirror cams
And 21/73 plt TGX
Some have battle scars as the yard is tight but all trucks are below 400k kms
I’m glad I made the move in to containers now as I’m getting older , but all I would say to others don’t do it salaried or to the max all the time with quick devans

Keep an…

Eye out for A34 fatigue. Endlessly going up and down the same road soon becomes really really tedious.

Good to see your enjoying the new job.

Box jockeying has its perks. That 3hr tip first thing on a Monday morning. Good variety, some interesting jobs in some interesting places.

But it can also drive you potty, the long waits and queues can get you down some days. The same roads up and down to the terminals. The A14 the most boring road on earth. Watch the gut as well.

Volunteer for the household removals-really interesting places and people-little bit of pocket money if you fancy helping out-and tests your manoeuving skills!

rob22888:
Box jockeying has its perks. That 3hr tip first thing on a Monday morning. Good variety, some interesting jobs in some interesting places.

But it can also drive you potty, the long waits and queues can get you down some days. The same roads up and down to the terminals. The A14 the most boring road on earth. Watch the gut as well.

You’re right there with intersting places as I’m going to Lee moor China clay kiln tomorrow
Gonna be fun driving up telegraph hill with a 25t box on the Skeli :laughing:
Been to M/K twice and Nottingham twice

yourhavingalarf:
Keep an…

Eye out for A34 fatigue. Endlessly going up and down the same road soon becomes really really tedious.

Good to see your enjoying the new job.

A303 A30/38 tomorrow nice scenery and be nice to see how the tree colours have changed

Wait till you head for Felixstowe and the weatherman sneezes, and they close the terminal and stack everyone up

peirre:
Wait till you head for Felixstowe and the weatherman sneezes, and they close the terminal and stack everyone up

I’ll just go and park in head office yard , makes no difference to me

What’s a Devan, or what does it mean?

stu675:

When you empty a container then reload straight to a curtain sider to deliver to customer
IE plywood , Slabs , bricks , boxes of clothes because customer can’t take containers
Electricity transformers
Basically any thing that has to be unloaded by either container haulage firm or separate Haulage firm then taken onwards by either flat bed , box or curtain sider to box customer

N.B just because it’s a steel box don’t think the low life won’t try (and will) get in it

vannin:
N.B just because it’s a steel box don’t think the low life won’t try (and will) get in it

I never under estimate low life even solo they can still nick your diesel or truck complete

blue estate:

stu675:

When you empty a container then reload straight to a curtain sider to deliver to customer
IE plywood , Slabs , bricks , boxes of clothes because customer can’t take containers
Electricity transformers
Basically any thing that has to be unloaded by either container haulage firm or separate Haulage firm then taken onwards by either flat bed , box or curtain sider to box customer

mmm, thought it was decant… :exclamation:

blue estate:

stu675:

Electricity transformers

Thanks [emoji106]

Whilst trailer swapping at import services (delamode) opposite where you all sit and wait for god knows how long for the staddle crane to drop your container on I realised then that container work would never be for me. Out of curiosity how long is the wait? Say from going through that ticket booth thing to getting your ‘box’.

PaddyTheLorryDriver:
Whilst trailer swapping at import services (delamode) opposite where you all sit and wait for god knows how long for the staddle crane to drop your container on I realised then that container work would never be for me. Out of curiosity how long is the wait? Say from going through that ticket booth thing to getting your ‘box’.

How longs a peice of string ? Few minutes to over an hour

you one of those happy to just chug along in the queue of box jockeys on main road? or one of those itching to overtake? i can never understand that urge to gain at most 5 miles on the whole journey by creeping past

thats those elephants racers

For me that slow overtake can be the difference between my own bed or a night out

m.a.n rules:

blue estate:

stu675:

Electricity transformers

mmm, thought it was decant… :exclamation:

It can be either. Or destuff. Or tranship. Or cross-load. Came across all of those when I was doing it.

(Cite: 15 years spent mostly in the short sea box game)