1st day artic job

today was my very 1st artic job since passing in sept arrived for work at 830 was given a tea then shown my cab for the day 52 plate erf . hooked it up too full size trailer then run too enfield woodhall rd nice and tight squeaky bum double parked car tight , found the address then told too get it tight against the fence on kerb so it could be loaded , done it without too much grief pulled the curtain the proceeded too HANBALL full trailer of disfunctional tool hire equipment ladders cement mixers stone cutters floor cleaners ,kin hell break me in gently :laughing: still all back in onepiece and BOTTOM NOW WIPED !!! . TOMORROW im on a night out exeter in the cab im gona stay in from now on 54 plate xxl man . my whole body is so tensed out after today im struggling too type :laughing: . one good thing the yard is so big you can just tinker around for half hour or so practiscing reverse etc hmmm 18 tonn or artic which is best theres only one way too find out FIGHT . PS love it NOT when you look in that mirror when turning and all you can see is a jutting trailer :open_mouth:

All with time mate just remember when it goes wrong it goes wrong for us to. :smiley:

Stick at it m8, a couple of weeks and you’ll be throwing it about like a pro :wink:

Just keep calm and take your time :sunglasses:

remember just take your time and dont rush into things and it will all come together, good luck

Where are you going to tip in Exeter?
I live hear for my sins, might be able to help with directions.

dont know yet find out 2moro but cheers anyway

And always remember, if in doubt ASK.

You’ll gain more respect if you go to a place where there are other trucks, and you find it a bit difficult, and you have to ask another driver advice rather than making a balls of it. The natural assumption of an experienced hand, is to think that you are to.

Ken.

Quinny:
And always remember, if in doubt ASK.

You’ll gain more respect if you go to a place where there are other trucks, and you find it a bit difficult, and you have to ask another driver advice rather than making a balls of it. The natural assumption of an experienced hand, is to think that you are to.

Ken.

Spot on, cool and smooth is the the way to go knowing where the trailer is even when you can,t see it takes time every day day teaches me something after 20 years, nice and slow you look like a pro. Thats my excuse :smiley:

The best piece of advice I can give to a newby is … the trailer swings out the opposite way at the rear when you are turning, I scraped one a few weeks into a job when I first started as I hadn’t realised as I came out of a tight yard into a tight street and kept as far over to the left as I could to make my right turn. No harm done but something to watch !

ALL the best mate as every one else said take it easy no rush
ask no question is stupid no matter what it is, check when unsure
what the area is like before driving in when in doubt,as for load restraint
get looking through the useful links forum and in the eurostickys
there are some good sites that will help as regards load restraint,
and again take it easy speed causes accidents and not just when driveing
but also when rushing away whilst loading or unloading.

when your in a yard and it looks a bit tight, just ask a forkie how the other drivers normally do it, I always do, never met anyone whos not been helpful yet.

Well done, glad you enjoyed it :smiley:

Wee top tip for you. You said it’s scary seeing a jutting trailer in the mirror. If you’re heavy and having to screw it round and are doing it slowly like you should be… stick it in manual (if it’s an auto) and try and complete the turn in one without having to stop. Best using 1st or 2nd. Reason being if you stop whilst in the jack knife position (or if the auto box decides to drop a gear), the trailer tyres will straighten back out and as a result will drag your unit back a good few feet and when you look in the mirror you’ll see the front of the trailer seriously rocking back and forth :laughing: I’m sure you’ve seen the odd tri axle trailer with tyres being flexed to the max on tight turns. It’s a bit scary when you’re not used to it. You’ll soon learn that artics can take a serious amount of abuse before something bad happens.

Enjoy :smiley:

Oh and pics of the wagon please :sunglasses:

Glad it went ok mate :sunglasses:

Not sure get out and have a look, and watch the front offside as well, it takes a minute to have a look and more than a minute to fix a busted trailer, one thing i have learned is you cant force it!!

Sorry i meant nearside. :smiley:

Steve-o:
Well done, glad you enjoyed it :smiley:

Wee top tip for you. You said it’s scary seeing a jutting trailer in the mirror. If you’re heavy and having to screw it round and are doing it slowly like you should be… stick it in manual (if it’s an auto) and try and complete the turn in one without having to stop. Best using 1st or 2nd. Reason being if you stop whilst in the jack knife position (or if the auto box decides to drop a gear), the trailer tyres will straighten back out and as a result will drag your unit back a good few feet and when you look in the mirror you’ll see the front of the trailer seriously rocking back and forth :laughing: I’m sure you’ve seen the odd tri axle trailer with tyres being flexed to the max on tight turns. It’s a bit scary when you’re not used to it. You’ll soon learn that artics can take a serious amount of abuse before something bad happens.

Enjoy :smiley:

Oh and pics of the wagon please :sunglasses:

Best to avoid screwing heavily laden trailers round hard whenever possible. Shreds tyres, rips up tarmac (for fun on a hot day!) and puts a tremendous strain on wheel bearings.

Well done mate on you first day out in the artic just remember you only get better with time

WELL DONE
good first day,
just remember dont get cocky as fate has a habit of biteing youre ego.
:laughing:

thanks every one 2nd day here i come :stuck_out_tongue: keep them usefull tips coming ,actually would be good too compile a thread with say all the TOP TIPS ROG :exclamation:

Just remember to do the job as you were taught and it WILL all come with time, Check your trailer number and the height adjust the trailer height marker when needed IMPORTANT to do this as if you go wrong and hit a low bridge you;ll look a pleb getting out to check when this should be done as part of your dailies…

Don’t get too confident too fast you’ve a lot to master now, if somethings wrong ease off a bit and if not get a shift on and get it done safely no one rewards you after an accident but you’ll get little/no praise for a job well done and remember your only as good as your last drive to the idiots in the T/Office

Finally if in doubt ASK ASK ASK!!!