1st day artic job

chester:
when your in a yard and it looks a bit tight, just ask a forkie how the other drivers normally do it, I always do, never met anyone whos not been helpful yet.

The paddy at Makro Acton is most definitely NOT helpful :smiling_imp:

Steve-o:
You’ll soon learn that artics can take a serious amount of abuse before something bad happens.

A surprising amount of abuse :laughing:
Even when screwing it around in a yard, and all you can see is the trailers headboard and the susies at full stretch and you think that they’ll pop out but never do :open_mouth:
Another top tip is to try and not blindside where possible :wink:

totally disagree

i think you should try blindside it wherever you have an easy opportunity to do so, because one day youre going to end up at some sh-thole where you have absolutely no other option than to blind side it in and youre going to make a mess of it, as we all have / do.

no harm to have the practise and judegment skills

beattun:
totally disagree

i think you should try blindside it wherever you have an easy opportunity to do so, because one day youre going to end up at some sh-thole where you have absolutely no other option than to blind side it in and youre going to make a mess of it, as we all have / do.

Have to agree with above even if you can drive in and turn, if there is lots of space and time have a go cos one day you will have to and it’s difficult when blocking roads and cars blowing horns easy to make a mistake then.

I reckon I’ll get top marks for the who’s seen who thread tomorrow

Was that you this morning edging gingerley through the gloom in Danbury this morning about 11am? 54 plate MAN & Blue curtainsider.

DAF95XF:

chester:
when your in a yard and it looks a bit tight, just ask a forkie how the other drivers normally do it, I always do, never met anyone whos not been helpful yet.

How’d you know about that you ditched nobbys yet and delivered there on the agency?

Driveroneuk:

Steve-o:
Well done, glad you enjoyed it :smiley:

Wee top tip for you. You said it’s scary seeing a jutting trailer in the mirror. If you’re heavy and having to screw it round and are doing it slowly like you should be… stick it in manual (if it’s an auto) and try and complete the turn in one without having to stop. Best using 1st or 2nd. Reason being if you stop whilst in the jack knife position (or if the auto box decides to drop a gear), the trailer tyres will straighten back out and as a result will drag your unit back a good few feet and when you look in the mirror you’ll see the front of the trailer seriously rocking back and forth :laughing: I’m sure you’ve seen the odd tri axle trailer with tyres being flexed to the max on tight turns. It’s a bit scary when you’re not used to it. You’ll soon learn that artics can take a serious amount of abuse before something bad happens.

Enjoy :smiley:

Oh and pics of the wagon please :sunglasses:

Best to avoid screwing heavily laden trailers round hard whenever possible. Shreds tyres, rips up tarmac (for fun on a hot day!) and puts a tremendous strain on wheel bearings.

Sometimes needs must :wink:

beattun:
totally disagree

think youd be better to do the job that needs done that day an when the blindside comes,get guided in an SWEAT like we all did :laughing:

garnerlives:

DAF95XF:

chester:

How’d you know about that you ditched nobbys yet and delivered there on the agency?

First day on an artic, multidrop in the centre of London :wink:

scania245:

beattun:
totally disagree

think youd be better to do the job that needs done that day an when the blindside comes,get guided in an SWEAT like we all did :laughing:

been a few times ive had to blind side into tight spots, in the dark, with nobody present, or willing, to guide me in, i believe a truck driver no matter how old or young should take every opportunity to improve their skills because you WILL need them some day.

and just to give a bit of advice to a new driver, when you turn up at a delivery or collection, jump out have a quick look, if it looks a bit funny, ask the forkie how the other lads usually do it, then run the whole thing through in your head before giving it a go, and if it takes you 20 shunts then it takes you 20 shunts, the object of the game is to get trailer into destination without hitting anything, oh and ignore the factory workers on their smoke break who will inevitably be all out there watching you.

its only when you slot it in in one shot that theres no witnesses, fact.

beattun:
and just to give a bit of advice to a new driver, when you turn up at a delivery or collection, jump out have a quick look, if it looks a bit funny, ask the forkie how the other lads usually do it,

Top advice there beattun. (wish we had more icons here - i want a thumbs up one).

Also, sometimes you can get an idea how others do it by looking at the rubber marks on the ground.

then run the whole thing through in your head before giving it a go, and if it takes you 20 shunts then it takes you 20 shunts, the object of the game is to get trailer into destination without hitting anything, oh and ignore the factory workers on their smoke break who will inevitably be all out there watching you.

But to be sure they will always have seen somebody worse/take longer than you.
Also, you never know what they are thinking:
You think: I bet they’re all thinking i’m a right plonker.
They’re thinking: blimey, how does he reverse that massive trailer like that? I can’t even reverse my little car into a parking space.

its only when you slot it in in one shot that theres no witnesses, fact.

So true!

8wheels:
I reckon I’ll get top marks for the who’s seen who thread tomorrow

Was that you this morning edging gingerley through the gloom in Danbury this morning about 11am? 54 plate MAN & Blue curtainsider.

10 OUT OF 1O 8 WHEELS i was on my way too exeter safely back now , going in 2moro for a play in the yard as ive got some shunting too do monday ouf of east london :imp:

well im back from my shunting experience pick up in nice small yard where you have too drive in and then back out then jiggle it about till you can get a swing on as there is a unit right behind , then ontoo too depot with 36 bays , on 32 then 36 ,lovely just going a foot too the right too much each time at mo ,my set up is out i think ,anyway all done and back for more all week ,so plenty of practice coming my way hay :laughing: ps please stop kin raining

well update im intoo my 3rd week passed my 2 week trial last week 5 nights away ,loved it job is a doss my take home pay this friday for basically sleeping and opening back door for forkie on bay was 600 WOW :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile: :smiley: :sunglasses: :unamused: :grimacing: :wink: :open_mouth: getting it around so much more confident now ,just need too get that reversing tuned up ,i have re ocuuring fault that when i back on too bays or intoo slots in msa i always get my offside about a foot too far too the right ANY SUGGESTIONS its mainly when there is more than one bay empty and i get the aim wrong

Danny27404:
All with time mate just remember when it goes wrong it goes wrong for us to. :smiley:

Ohhhh…very very yes :grimacing: :grimacing:

That always seems to be the case, when in farm yards etc, you experiment which is the best way, then when farmer and all his mates come you can never just perfect your new method, the next day no one is there you get it without even thinking!