yodel/hdnl/dhl

As reported on RT, ( roadtransport.com/Articles/2 … -plans.htm ) 45 depots are to close. Here is the affected depots

List of depot closures

DHL Depots to close:
Anglesey
Belfast
Canterbury
Capel Hendre
Coventry
Croydon
Eastleigh
Hailsham
Leeds
Maidstone
Plymouth
Preston
Redhill
Taunton
Yeovil

HDNL Depots to close:
Aberdeen
Bristol
Cardiff
Carlisle
Chesterfield
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Hitchen
Hull
Ipswich
Irvine
Kidderminster
Lincoln
New Cross
Norwich
Nottingham
Oldbury
Reading
Rochadale
Romford
Scunthorpe
St Neots
Stockton
Stoke
Sunderland
Swindon
Truro
Warrington
Wembley
Woodford

The info came from
parcelforum.co.uk/phpBB3/vie … cbce9813f4

That’s not a good sign at all.

I used to work in the Hitchin HDNL depot, busy as hell when I was there, they must have had a huge drop in trade for all these closures to be worthwhile.

Thing is though, if/when things pick up again, the less depots means the more miles the vans will be doing to their delivery rounds, they might regret it as the price of diesel rises.

manowar:
That’s not a good sign at all.

I used to work in the Hitchin HDNL depot, busy as hell when I was there, they must have had a huge drop in trade for all these closures to be worthwhile.

A lot of those are because they have two depots in the same town or area, one ex HDNL and one ex DHL so they close one and just use the other.

Sad news, I’ve been working at DHL Keighley this wekk and everone was called in. Morley is to close and work moved to Shaw, workers told like it or lump it.

Yup what Coffee said.
When the deutsche bods merged DHL and Securicor, a lot of the securicor depots got the chop.

They have had more name changes than Elizabeth Taylor :stuck_out_tongue:

Yodel trailers give me eye ache

It’s like Coffee says ,it’s just duplicate areas/depots that are being closed,along with the closure of the smallest site at droitwich in jan/feb 2012 with some work being transferred to their new site (ex citylink depot) at wednesbury,.They still have the larger site(ex salvesans/vax) behind the morrissons site.YODEL (ex HDNL/Reality/Kays) have never been so busy,always advertising for drivers on agency.

jackdaw:
YODEL (ex HDNL/Reality/Kays)

Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t it started as Littlewoods (Littlewoods catalogue) and also known as Blue Arrow in a previous life ?

jackdaw:
always advertising for drivers on agency

That may have more to do with the fact that First Drivers are such a crap agency than how busy Yodel are, I mean you don’t see Yodel advertising for HGV drivers do you :wink:

Sincerely sorry to hear that bit of news. Just goes to show that we’re no where near out of the s$*t yet.

lets go back a few years, what happened when UPS took over Lynx Parcels ■■ they also closed depots and even the 2 hubs at Nuneaton, BUT they also opened new depots and a dirty great big new hub at Tamworth… of course there will be redundancies when companies merge. it is unfortunate but it is a fact of life… we just need to realise that we no longer have “a job for life”… and that we are just a number…

The history as I know it is
GUS, KAYS, Choice, Additions (There were other brands but I cant remember) was White Arrow then Reality

Littlewoods was Business Express

2005 they merged to become HDNL.

Coffeeholic, you are right, they are getting rid of duplicate depots, shame the article doesnt list the depots that are being kept.

Mine is being shut with the work going to Lincoln DHL which is a bigger warehouse and being off Lincoln bypass is better located.
Yes, I am bothered about my job but I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

G8YMW:
Coffeeholic, you are right, they are getting rid of duplicate depots, shame the article doesnt list the depots that are being kept.

That’s not as much of a story though so they won’t go with that. everyone sees closures and starts wailing and gnashing their teeth without thinking it through. This was always going to happen from the moment they merged.

G8YMW:
Mine is being shut with the work going to Lincoln DHL which is a bigger warehouse and being off Lincoln bypass is better located.
Yes, I am bothered about my job but I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Yup good luck with the merger. You never know , you might pop out of the other side looking bewildered after having 7 values thrust upon you.
Better then the CD they handed out some 9 yrs ago which was the company song that deutsche post had done – I ■■■■ you not :laughing:
Not just any company song either , it was the official company song :laughing:

@tachograph…blue arrow(this needs a shudder smiley)

will still see a few people out of work just after christmas

marlow:
Sad news, I’ve been working at DHL Keighley this wekk and everone was called in. Morley is to close and work moved to Shaw, workers told like it or lump it.

So If Morley is to close, (Which serves my town,) which depot is now going to do it then?

Ken.

Quinny:

marlow:

So If Morley is to close, (Which serves my town,) which depot is now going to do it then?

Ken.