Yard Shunting

Hi everyone.
I was wandering if some of you experts could help and advise me.
I currently work as a yard shunter for a meat processing firm.
I hold a certificate compentance for LGV Shunting. :laughing:
we use 3 ERFs, a P reg EC11 and an older G reg E14( both 6x4) and an N reg 4x2 EC10. :cry:
the 2 6x4S are taxed as HGV/D im led to believe this is a restricted use, limited to 6 miles per week? (please correct me if i am wrong)
the 4x2 is not taxed and does not cross the road at all.
the 4x2 runs on red diesel, while the two 6x4s are on white.
the question i want to ask is how do i stand crossing a public road?
the weighbridge is on one side of the road, and the loading bays are the other.
the delivery drivers park their empty fridge trailers on the weighbridge side of the road to be unloaded, refuelled and washed, as this is where the fuel tanks, pressure wash and empty bins are unloaded.
i then have to take the empty fridge trailers across the road to be loaded, and then bring the loaded fridge trailers back to park and plug in to run on electric.
several of our delivery drivers have indicated to me that i should not cross the road at all, as i do not hold a current class1 (c+e)
i have done this job over 6 years and i am worried that i could be doing something illegal.
my employers assure me i am 100% legal, as the law states the shunting units are a non road going vehicle, so therefor its fine and im covered.
im more inclined to believe our delivery drivers, as they seem to know the law better than our transport officer!
please help.

is it litterally cross the road or is it a bit further than just crossing that tiny stretch of road?

Hi gogsy,

It is literally crossing the road.
at an angle :laughing:

It seems that you require a category N licence according to this information I found on the web.

Drivers of Limited Use vehicles must either hold a category N licence or a licence that covers the driving of the vehicle in question. The category N licence covers vehicles which are exempt from excise duty due to travelling less than six miles a week. This category was in use before 31December 1996 but is now rarely used. However, if you were eligible to apply for a category N before 31 December 1996 you may still be granted such a licence. The age limit will vary depending on the type of vehicle involved. For example, if the vehicle is an agricultural tractor, then the minimum age is 17; if it is a large heavy goods vehicle (HGV), it will be 18. However, there is no requirement to hold a large heavy goods vehicle vocational driving licence for driving Limited Use heavy goods vehicles. Limited Use vehicles are also exempt from annual testing under the HGV & MOT testing schemes provided they do not travel on the road more than six miles per week. However, they must comply with the relevant Construction and Use Regulations applicable to the class of vehicle, and its use, when used on the roads. Operators of Limited Use HGVs do not require an operator’s licence subject to certain conditions.

There is also an exemption that limits use to 1.5km but that seems to be applicable to farm, forestry or horticultural vehicles only.

I have also got this snippet that seems to fit the bill. From David Lowe’s Transport Managers Handbook.under Exemptions from Vocational Licensing. It suggests these vehicles can be driven on a Category B licence

(8) Vehicles used on public roads only when passing between land occupied by the vehicles registered keeper and which does not exceed an aggregate of 9.7km in a calendar week

Thanks Mate :slight_smile:

ivan38:
the 2 6x4S are taxed as HGV/D im led to believe this is a restricted use, limited to 6 miles per week? (please correct me if i am wrong)

I don’t know the answer to your main question but I can clarify on this point. The letter after HGV is the the band in which it is taxed which essentially determines how heavy you’re allowed to run. With a three axle unit such as the ones you describe band D allows you to run at up to 38t with a tri axle trailer or 36t with a tandem axle trailer.

Paul

gogzy:
is it litterally cross the road or is it a bit further than just crossing that tiny stretch of road?

Get a skilled job.