?working time directive?

it seems that the poll on the wtd is running fairly even,
but to be honest whilst im for the wtd this is down to the job im doing at present and the company im working for and the way it plans to deal with the wtd…
my opinion if i was working for another company may have been different.
what about you■■?

dave sorry for getting of the topic again :unamused: i was wondering, when the wtd comes in at your firm, will you still be able to keep the same lorry, or will you have to share?

MAD28:
dave sorry for getting of the topic again :unamused: i was wondering, when the wtd comes in at your firm, will you still be able to keep the same lorry, or will you have to share?

this september mate :wink:
but some of the other depots have been on it for about 6 months just to iron out any teething problems.
yes, i will have to give up my truck, but it was never mine anyhow.

Thanks for the reply dave, much appreciated.
This is what will worry me when i start driving, and proberly sounds stupid and selfish to most people,but i would rather have my own lorry, where i only drive it, or someone else drives it now and again. :cry:

My opinion would be the same regardless of who I work for, its the principle of it Im against. I hate all forms of dictatorship and eroding of personal freedom and this is certainly just that!

MAD28:
This is what will worry me when i start driving, and proberly sounds stupid and selfish to most people,but i would rather have my own lorry, where i only drive it, or someone else drives it now and again. :cry:

some people want there cake and allowed to eat it.if this is the case mad28 then when you become a driver why don’t you put your own tractor unit on the road and that way you’ll have your own truck.don’t expect as a new driver to get a truck of your own.you might have to share or you get the oldest unit in town.

MAD28:

Mad i have been in the transport office for only 5 days where the day drivers all have their own trucks but the night guys/girls dont, before that i had some responsibility for 2 trucks at a previous job i personally think that all trucks should be “sterile” as the extra planning for trucks run 24 hours is a major task taking up far too much time and effort for people when planning.

I drove for Corby Chilled and ALL of their trucks are “sterile” its a far better way to operate as in the next guy in you get the next available truck rather than waiting 2/3 hours for your own truck , im sure its different if you are tramping there`s obviously no way that truck can be shared.

The only problem i can see is when getting in a truck and being lazy like i have done in the past and im sure others have done is thinking the last guy must have checked it so it`ll be OK.

As for the WTD i can see tramping being a thing of the past when it starts as some drivers will have done 48 hours by their 3rd day .

I may have got it wrong, and I shall go now and look at the details of the WTD, but I thought the main point was that you could not be forced to work more than 48 hours. If you are willing I thought you still could.

Puts on flame proof overalls and prepares for barrage of insults :exclamation: :exclamation:

I think i am right in saying that you cannot opt out of this WTD.
I know in my last job,which was erecting street lights,we signed a form to say that we would work more than 48 hours.

kitkat:

MAD28:

some people want there cake and allowed to eat it.if this is the case mad28 then when you become a driver why don’t you put your own tractor unit on the road and that way you’ll have your own truck.don’t expect as a new driver to get a truck of your own.you might have to share or you get the oldest unit in town.

Hi kitkat. When i start driving im not expecting to have the best motor of the fleet, and i would be very happy with the oldest,every one has to start somewhere,which i am fully aware of, but i would rather have one lorry which i drive most of the time, instead of getting in a different one every day.
I went on my work experience about a month ago, the fleet was very well presented,every driver had there own lorry, that they drove all the time apart from if they went on holiday or was sick, then another person would take it out instead. They were allowed to put anything in them as long as it wasnt over the top.
They had taken two drivers on when i was there, both only just passed there tests,they both had the oldest lorrys on the fleet which were L-reg Volvo FL10 8-wheelers. I would be very happy with a FL ,even though its the olsest of the fleet i would be proud to drive it,because i would like to keep it clean and polish it up.
Thanks

gardun:
I may have got it wrong, and I shall go now and look at the details of the WTD, but I thought the main point was that you could not be forced to work more than 48 hours. If you are willing I thought you still could.

Puts on flame proof overalls and prepares for barrage of insults :exclamation: :exclamation:

There was an opt out for industrial workers, but there is no opt out for Transport workers.
However as I’ve already written on other posts working time is only considered to be time worked not time on duty. Breaks and periods of availibility don’t count towards your 48 hours average.
So you this means you won’t run out of time on Thursday morning after a Monday start unless you work solid 15 hour days without breaks or waiting to load and tip.