Wireless ?.

I bought myself a new computer at the weekend :slight_smile::slight_smile: nice piece of kit , i also bought a wireless network adapter for my sons p.c. so we can share the same connection but i cant get them to connect together.

However something strange is happening his computer connects to the internet whne i switch my modem off leading me to believe a neightbour must have a wireless router set up somewhere.

So does anyone know of anyway i can send a message thorugh thenetwork to that peson and find out who it is?, i know the neighbours on either side dont have a p.c. so it could be anyone down the street, whilst its nice to have free internet access it is probably illegal so i would like to find out who they are and tell them.

I had the same thing happen. My Laptop and PDA would connect to another Network that was not mine. The only way I found to find out whose it was was to look into their router (Normally 192.168.1.1 or similar) and then found out through their emai address within the router (not all have the facility) who they were. Turned out to be my other halfs best mate who lives at least 100mtrs away!!! They still have not secured their network so I can still connect!! Another way you might be able to tell is to look at the SSID of the network, many change them from the default of Linksis/Netgear/Belkin to Davehome etc. Other then that I have no Idea. But I have heard that some people leave them open so anyone can use the internet access. I have also found it handy when at drops as it meant I could connect via my PDA and surf/email without paying for it.

as far as i am aware if u do not sucure your network and some1 else chooses to browse the net from it they are not breaking the law as you left it open to happen tough then relli

dangermouse:
as far as i am aware if u do not sucure your network and some1 else chooses to browse the net from it they are not breaking the law as you left it open to happen tough then relli

Wireless security is a complicated area.

Effectively you need to show that you have taken reasonable steps to protect your internet connection from unauthorised users. Your ISP usually has something to say about this.

If you don’t you could be liable for what is downloaded through it, but you’d really need to take professional advice over this matter…

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I’m sure there was a case recently where a guy was caught using un-secured wireless access by parking outside someone’s house & he was prosecuted for it. Shall find some more details & get back.

If it’s bog standard wireless (and it probably is) then the signal won’t go very far outside of your house. It’s possible it woould propogate as far as next door, but unlikely to go any further than that.
What makes you think that someone is using your connection in this way?

paul_eden:
If it’s bog standard wireless (and it probably is) then the signal won’t go very far outside of your house. It’s possible it woould propogate as far as next door, but unlikely to go any further than that.

I can pick up a wireless signal from the OTHER side of a towerblock, true it is weak but it is usable. I have used it in the past to test the wireless connection, but otherwise don’t stray onto their connection.

I am quite happy with the amount of non wireless in the area.

paul_eden:
What makes you think that someone is using your connection in this way?

Well I know I can get a good link to our neighbours wirelees router and they are at least 100mtrs and with a good few houses in between. I have also had reception at a couple of drops on my PDA and the nearest house has been at least 250mtrs away. It is surprising how far it can travel sometimes.

250 meters!! With the greatest of respect, I think you are mistaken.

paul_eden:
250 meters!! With the greatest of respect, I think you are mistaken.

I suppose it can also depend on the type of antenna you have installed, or they have installed.

However, I agree for the 250m. Most organisations if they want to use that that distances they go for a laser setup

If both set ups are sat in the window and it is line of sight 250m is achievable. Its very rare but it is possible.
I have set up a network with my mothers PC she lives approx 100m away in the next street. The signal passes through three walls and two windows and still gets a good 25% reading.
The current world record is 310km if remember correctly.

Which is why I said that with bog standard kit, one or two house widths is all you can reasonably expect.
Also, wireless does not provide stable connections. It’s constantly handshaking and rengotiating so the speed (and propogation distance) changes all the time. With Hollywoods 25% connection, you probably wouldn’t be able to reliably send files of any size as the connection will drop out frequently. If you need a constant, reliable data stream, forget the 802.11x wireless protocols, they are useless.