Wi Fi

since a lot of us truckers carry laptops around any chance of starting a post where we can post locations of free wi fi zones ■■?

i think there already is one somewhere not sure where though last time i saw summat like that is was a sticky at the top of one of the forums

Most McDonalds offer wi-fi. While I dont think you can just sit there with your laptop and start using it for the price of a coffee (£1.20) you can surf the web. Or you could try and park close to the building and stay in the cab…
IIRC they are planning that in the next 2 years every McDonalds will offer free wi-fi.

Wetherspoons again offer wi-fi every time you buy something you get a free 30 minute voucher.

At the moment these are the only places I can think off although if you are near a school I am led to believe that there wireless networks are normally un-secure and have quite a good range(so am told).

Think you will find something in the computer thread.
I am taking my laptop to South Africa in two weeks time and have a usb connecter as a wi-fi. Mine is a t-mobile which I pay a monthy fee of £20 and I will be able to use it when on a trip with hubby in the UK.

Ben9:
Wetherspoons again offer wi-fi every time you buy something you get a free 30 minute voucher.

Has anyone had any success with this? in my experience the staff rarely have the vouchers available although the service is usually installed and working , if you log in it costs around £3 per half hour payg so the free voucher is def worth having.
Have emailed weatherspoons about this to no avail :imp:

scanialady142:
I am taking my laptop to South Africa in two weeks time and have a usb connecter as a wi-fi. Mine is a t-mobile which I pay a monthy fee of £20 and I will be able to use it when on a trip with hubby in the UK.

If you are planning on using your t-mobile wi-fi outsite the uk check and double check it will be very expensive.

Ben9:

scanialady142:

If you are planning on using your t-mobile wi-fi outsite the uk check and double check it will be very expensive.

I discovered this. I used it 3 times and my bill was over 500 quid, probably only on 1 hour maximum.

Mine was the USB Modem, worked brilliantly, but Im not made of money.

Right, as a total computer numpty, especially wireless. I need explanations in simple language.

I have an NEC laptop fitted with an Atheros 5006 adaptor whatever that is or does. I have managed to activate it by reading PC Magazine and it said to press Fn and F2 together. I did this and now I have a new Atheros icon in the tray.

What else do I need to make it work, presumably an aerial or something else wireless to connect to any spare free hot spots

Not very good at technical side but am a wizard on the financial side.

If you are in one regular country buy your wi-fi from there in Germany you can buy 28 days of wi-fi for e20.00. This is unlimited use anytime in those 28 days and you can use it at any Tank+Rast service area, any McDonalds, most Aral autohofs and lots of other places.This is run through T-Mobile.
I am pretty sure that every country runs a similar type of thing.

Now then USB modems the best (still extortionate) value for money on the market at the minute is Vodafone Traveller it is about £100 per month but this works out the cheapest deal for abroad at the moment. But be careful because I think this is limited and like I said earlier if you use any VOIP you still get charged (quite a lot)extra.

I have it on good authority though that prices could well be coming down in the next few months thanks to the E.U.

Hope this helps to answer some questions on this subject and save at least 1 person some money.

ok easiest way is to open your start menu by clciking on start button if you have a connect to on the right hand side click it it will display alist of secure or unsecure wireless networks within range just choose which one you wish to use and enter and access code it askfor ie if it’s a hotel they will supply you with this if you ask at reception

Wheel Nut:
Right, as a total computer numpty, especially wireless. I need explanations in simple language.

What else do I need to make it work, presumably an aerial or something else wireless to connect to any spare free hot spots

Go into local computer shop and ask them for a usb plug in wireless adaptor kit(mine is made by BELKIN). they cost £20.00 from P.C.World to give you a rough idea of price.

Put supplied disc in drive follow instructions plug usb in and jobs a good un. Even I figured it out and if I can anyone can.

THREE MOBILE HAVE STARTED SOMETHING FOR ABOUT £10 A MONTH :exclamation:
SOMEKIND OF MODEM THAT WORKS WIRELESS WHAT AREAS IT WORKS IN I DON’T KNOW.

Ben9:

Wheel Nut:

Go into local computer shop and ask them for a usb plug in wireless adaptor kit(mine is made by BELKIN). they cost £20.00 from P.C.World to give you a rough idea of price.

i bet you’d get one of ebay cheaper yep some for 1p usb adaptor is what you need to type in search box

i bet you’d get one of ebay cheaper yep some for 1p usb adaptor is what you need to type in search box

Yes quite possibly I just put what mine cost on there so there is a very good chance of you getting cheaper.

As with most things in life you get what you pay for.

You’ll be better off spending your money on a Belkin or
Linksys (CISCO home brand) kit. I have used both for
years for wireless and never had any issues.

By the way have you noticed the trend on eBay to sell
an item for 1p but then want £19.99 for PnP. :smiling_imp: :open_mouth: :imp:
Trying to get round the fees I suppose.

fez:

not very many areas atm :cry: :cry: :cry:

Denis F:

fez:

It is supposed to work anywhere you can get the companies phone signal i.e. vodafone should work anywhere you can get a vodafone mobile signal.

Ben9:

Denis F:

fez:

It is supposed to work anywhere you can get the companies phone signal i.e. vodafone should work anywhere you can get a vodafone mobile signal.

yes, but most areas are only at Standard 38Kbps ! 3G speeds are better at 384Kbps or 3G broadband at 1.4Mbps (vodaphone data)

maps.vodafone.co.uk/coverageview … fault.aspx

My daughter spoke to Three about their £10 deal and was told there is no coverage at all in Devon !

Denis F:

Ben9:

Denis F:

fez:

yes, but most areas are only at Standard 38Kbps ! 3G speeds are better at 384Kbps or 3G broadband at 1.4Mbps (vodaphone data)

maps.vodafone.co.uk/coverageview … fault.aspx

My daughter spoke to Three about their £10 deal and was told there is no coverage at all in Devon !

I agree with everything you say :laughing: :laughing:

Three network is no good anyway.

Do they understand the Devon accent in India■■? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Ben9:
[

Do they understand the Devon accent in India■■? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

she doesn’t have a Devon accent :wink: she’s a Somerset girl who’s gone abroad to work :wink:

I doubt they understand a Devon accent in an Indian call centre, they also have trouble understanding an Indian accent in Devon :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: