Which is the best?

Which trucks would be the best to learn in? Maybe FM,FH, CF, XF, Premium etc

There’s no straight forward answer. Some people (me included) will advise that it’s best to go for the most simple, easy to drive truck you can find. Having passed test, you’ll then gain the experience on all sorts of trucks - the good, the bad and the very, very ugly. Others will advise you to learn on the biggest truck you can find - the reasoning being that you will then be prepared for the outside world. Both arguments carry weight but the one thing I would add to my argument is that you won’t need to be able to drive big trucks if you never manage to pass the test to start with!
For as many years as I can remember (and that’s lots) this discussion has raged. I would suggest that you book assessment drives at various training providers and learn in a truck in which you feel comfortable. Check the reputation of the trainer as well as the truck in use. It’s not unheard of to find a trainer who will carry out further training following a test pass - but now using an industry compatable, loaded truck. Better to get it then, I think, than have to struggle with it from the outset.
Be wary of pictures shown on some websites and ads as they don’t always represent the truck that is actually used. There’s quite a bit of “poetic licence” used by some trainers. Try and get someone on recommendation (ROG will be on soon and he’ll point you to the recommended trainer section of this site) and ALWAYS visit the trainer and look at the trucks.
In the meantime, welcome to this site - - think that’s the 1st time I’ve beaten everyone else!!!

way_1974:
Which trucks would be the best to learn in? Maybe FM,FH, CF, XF, Premium etc

There is a thread on this subject - HERE :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply Peter. I have passed my class C and C+E some years ago. For the last 8 yrs I have been a DSA car ADI. In the not too distant future I plan on expanding my business to encompass C and C+E training. So the purpose of this post was to gauge what kind of truck people thought would be best for training, I do have an idea of what truck I would prefer to teach in which takes into account what it is like to drive plus image. For the record, I was taught class C in a volvo FM and C+E in a merecedes Axor with a 45ft trailer.
Thanks again for your reply Peter.
Wayne

Scania… :sunglasses:

Don’t loose track of the running costs in that case!! I would 100% suggest drawbar for a new school operator. Much lower standing costs and better vehicle utilisation. Also less parking space if you’re having to pay for it. Happy to help (as long as you’re not on my doorstep!) with the venture if you want to pm.