When 610hp is not enough!

<A HREF=http://insider.trucknetuk.com/viewtopic.php?t=1770>

mmmm,

Wonder if that lump will fit a mini? :smiley:

ive just read that and what a great truck it sounds but besides heavy haulers do we really need 660 to pull 40 to 44 ton.how long will it be before scania launch a 700. :laughing:

Hi to all, i read this morning about this engine, 660 Hp and an incredible torque of 316 mkg, i think the new FH16 use a full computer controlled gear box with this output otherwise some crash will be frequently.
by the way just a question fuel consumption ■■?

‘Yes boss - I DO need one to deliver the 35 cages on my 35’ trailer!!!’

:laughing:

What an awesome bit of kit!!

Nice…very nice, completely OTT for everyday use, but then who cares?

Nice engine :sunglasses: and definately overpowered for 40 or 44 tonnes. New, uglier lower grille looks like they had some heat problems when tuning engines to pass new euro regulations :slight_smile:

I wonder how 6x2 or 4x2 driveline will ever cope with this kind of torque these new Scarnia and Volvo engines are giving. Scania has had problems with broken drive axles and I have heard “old” FH16 610 doesn’t have reputation of being most reliable engine (550 hp version hasn’t got similar reputation).

Interesting thing in the article was, if I read correctly, there isn’t any manual gearbox for 660 version but 580 has one. If that’s the case it will substantially limit it’s usage.

I tried to stop myself writing this,but…
As an example of difficulties with 600+ hp engines is finnish Sisu who has used 630 hp Cat engine about three years. To make basis for problems I have to start with saying that especially Sisu’s driveline has earned reputation of being very robust and it can withstand massive amounts of abuse. From this starting point they first offered Cat engine only among with double drive bogie with hub reduction axles. After some time they had to redesing cooling of hub reduction as there were cases of it becaming dangerously hot, especially after they introdused 6x2 model. ZF synchro box has been offered with this engine only for about year as at the time of introduce only gearbox which last such torque (2780Nm) was Fuller “crash-box”. I think this kind of problems could happens also with these new swedish engines.

One thing is sure: when Volvo and Scania (propably) do presentation tour at this spring I must go for (free) test drive to see if their new toys are any good :smiley: Maybe I even try artic if there is such option :wink:

It justs get better and better :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Interesting thing in the article was, if I read correctly, there isn’t any manual gearbox for 660 version but 580 has one. If that’s the case it will substantially limit it’s usage.

I ‘think’ the i shift is the automatic manual box, so is a manual box, but with electro-pnematic shift?

how many uk operators have the 610 version.

CM:
Nice…very nice, completely OTT for everyday use, but then who cares?

Does that mean Ozzy Osbourne wont be buying us a few?? :cry: :unamused:

Nice Motor :smiley:

Oh no, Don’t let coffee see this he will wet himself :laughing: :laughing:

Why can’t they mate that thing to an auto box? It would go like the clappers then!

jessicas dad:
how many uk operators have the 610 version.

not as many as have 580 scanias. I think we have 4x 610’s now and we did have the biggest fleet of Scania V8’s in the country, but i’m not sure anymore. I think we have around 45-50 now. more and more people are realising that the bigger engines don’t have to work as hard, use less fuel, drivers are less fatigued and residual values are higher. we’ve got 2x 620 scanias and one of the new DAF’s on their way, and no doubt some of these 660’s will be ordered as soon as he can.