What would your ideal truck to train in?

What would you like to train in and what kind of trailer ? Would you also work for 12-16 weeks on minimum wage to get experience ? Also would you be prepared to do a training course that included HIAB, Hazchem and Fork Truck at an all in fee?

Trucks a truck, so long as you pass it doesn’t matter.

Work at minimum wage. Well if the alternative is work for big money then no, if the alternative is sit at home watching lose women then i’d do it for free!

Any qualification is a qualification, all gives you options. Do all you can. A lot of places can get funding for things like FLT courses so you might be able to get free if you dig around.

willie_mac:
What would you like to train in and what kind of trailer ? Would you also work for 12-16 weeks on minimum wage to get experience ? Also would you be prepared to do a training course that included HIAB, Hazchem and Fork Truck at an all in fee?

I would be more than happy to work for the min for a training period, may aswell be working, and earning and learning, it beats not having a job and I’ve got by on the min wage before so working again for it would be no problem. Regarding the training course, if it was cheaper to do a course as a package overall compared to paying for the seperate licenses then yes I would take that up. It’ll inevitably open up more avenues to you if you have them, and I am of the feeling that prospective employers would prefer to see on your cv you are willing to invest time and money into yourself to further your prospects of securing a job, thats why I did my hi-ab course and would look to do ADR when the time is right

a truck that you would realistically be driving once you pass your test, not a beefed up 7.5 tonner for you class c.

say a daf lf 55 18toner for rigids

and mayby a daf cf or volvo fh12 with a 45 footer on the back for artic lessons.

if that meant 12 weeks work on class 1 yes i would do it aslong as their was a significant jump in wages once the probation period was up. since passing my test ive only had 4 days out in an artic since august 2008

had plenty experience doing different things on class 2 though.

and yes i would do more training if it meant i could do more, i can already drive a forklift (not legally though) but never got round to getting myself booked in for forklifts and also dont know what ones the best one to get.

Hi All

I am am very interested in reading all comments on this thread as later this year our Daf 85 400 with tri axle 44ft trailer is going to be replaced because of age she is 10 years old now although very low miles been a training vehicle from 2 years old.

So Guys and Gals what would you like to be trained in.

I would like to be trained in James May’s “gay and friendly” scania. and yes i would work for a pittance ive had enought jeremy kyle show and episodes of only fools and horses. its getting boring now. i’d even go back to plumbing :imp:

The problem here might be that newbies cannot make any sort of comparisson between different trucks until well past their test in most cases by which time they may have a different take on things.

The one thing that they will be able to make a fair and accurate comment on is the size of the trucks used.

basically a proper 18 tonner round about 12ft 6 high

and a 40 ton artic about 14ft high would do the job

You can’t use a 45’ trailer at some test centres (I’ll not mention Steeton), it confuses the examiners cos they still expect you to get round switchbacks on routes that they use for the shortened outfits.

need to be careful of the length of the class 1, they had too many students for the wagon i learn’t in so they pulled one from the haulage side of the company so that 2 could learn at the same time, when he went for test they turned him away as it was too long for the reverse area!

I did my cat c in a Daf 65 26’ box and c+e in a daf 85 with 40’ trailer. Was nice as the lorries were pretty much identical in terms of controls. Two things that were easier on the trianing vehicle than the one i drive now are

• When the wagon was straight you could see the trailer wheels in the mirrors which made turning points easier to judge at tight junctions etc
  • The headboard had virtually no overhang infront of the pin so there was no swing at the front to have to think about.

MADBAZ:
You can’t use a 45’ trailer at some test centres (I’ll not mention Steeton), it confuses the examiners cos they still expect you to get round switchbacks on routes that they use for the shortened outfits.

16.5 metres from nose to tail is the permitted max length for an artic on a DSA test.

If presented with such, the DSA cannot refuse to do a test in it.

If the route they have chosen for it is physically impossible or considered too dangerous then the DSA MUST change the route.

gogzy:

Such as this… :wink:

DAF95XF:

gogzy:

Such as this… :wink:

Youv’e been looking we’ve got one like that

But the one I need feed back on is the Artic we are thinking of a Daf 105 XF super space any thoughts?

come on guys and gals I need your input :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

cyni-al:
…things that were easier on the trianing vehicle than the one i drive now are

• When the wagon was straight you could see the trailer wheels in the mirrors which made turning points easier to judge at tight junctions etc

That’s down to how you have set the mirrors up, not the make of the wagon. :wink:

Data Academy:

No, its what I passed my test on… :sunglasses:

Data Academy:

OH :exclamation: , has yours got ZENITH on it as well :question: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:

Data Academy:

OH :exclamation: , has yours got ZENITH on it as well :question: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It aint got Data Academy let alone any thing else on it yet just L plates oh and it’s a wee bit newer the truck has not stopped since the day we bought apatrt from service and MOT and a fuel pump, for some reason the sign writer seems to think it has to be stationary to work on…LOL :unamused:

They are great trucks but if I was buying another one for training it would have to be a R cab to give more space in the cab.

doesn’t matter ho you set the mirrors, can’t see the trailer wheels from the drivers seat when its in a straight line as the body blocks them. Not an issue just makes life a little easier when learning.

Hey up Data Academy
What truck to buy? Depends on your budget mate.

Last artic we bought was a Volvo FM12 for £20k, its about as good as you can get for driver training purposes, easy to drive and handle. They are reliable and customers all like driving it. Ours is a 12 litre version (pretty normal) which means its rather too powerful, a 9 litre would be perfect for our job.

Heres what i think about the other choices:
Daf CF - bit basic but nice truck, we have a few of these for C category
Daf XF - Nice truck but a few blind spots because of the narrow windscreen, engine is a bit peeky for newbies, they will have you jumping all over on hill starts!
Merc - Axors are basic too, and Actros is rather too flash with all its electronics to strugle to get to ten years old without a few trips to the stealers
Scania - Nice drivers truck, can’t fault them but not good for driver training because of the very truck like drive and a big cab with plenty of instructor blind spots, I used to drive a Scania topline for a living and absolutely loved it, but you don’t want something this big.
Iveco - Don’t even go there
Man - Not sure about these, some of instructors rate them, but i’ve never had to touch one, once popular with some local firms around us but now they have gone to volvo.

If money was no problem, I would go for a Volvo FH12, get the new shape, but you might struggle to find more than a handful that aren’t i shift, also get the stealer to downrate it for more economy and so your learners aren’t racing away - plus drive tyres last longer.

Tockwith Training:
Hey up Data Academy
What truck to buy? Depends on your budget mate.

Last artic we bought was a Volvo FM12 for £20k, its about as good as you can get for driver training purposes, easy to drive and handle. They are reliable and customers all like driving it. Ours is a 12 litre version (pretty normal) which means its rather too powerful, a 9 litre would be perfect for our job.

Heres what i think about the other choices:
Daf CF - bit basic but nice truck, we have a few of these for C category
Daf XF - Nice truck but a few blind spots because of the narrow windscreen, engine is a bit peeky for newbies, they will have you jumping all over on hill starts!
Merc - Axors are basic too, and Actros is rather too flash with all its electronics to strugle to get to ten years old without a few trips to the stealers
Scania - Nice drivers truck, can’t fault them but not good for driver training because of the very truck like drive and a big cab with plenty of instructor blind spots, I used to drive a Scania topline for a living and absolutely loved it, but you don’t want something this big.
Iveco - Don’t even go there
Man - Not sure about these, some of instructors rate them, but i’ve never had to touch one, once popular with some local firms around us but now they have gone to volvo.

If money was no problem, I would go for a Volvo FH12, get the new shape, but you might struggle to find more than a handful that aren’t i shift, also get the stealer to downrate it for more economy and so your learners aren’t racing away - plus drive tyres last longer.

Hi Tockwith

Have just recomended you to some one in your part of the world that rang me from our website I suggested Leicester might be a bit far for him to travel.

I am replacing our 85 400 as it is 10 years old, and as much as any thing I was trying to get a customers veiw on what might take their fancy when booking a course, I will be replacing the trailer at the same time but will go with another tri axle on air 44ft for that.

I own a very low mileage Iveco rigid which we bought in desperation when the rules changed, whilst it is a brilliant training vehicle it is become the most exspensive truck I have ever owned.(and I have owned a lot) it also does not help when your local dealer is not only crap but charges for things they have not done, damage the vehicle and then deny all knowledge plus more. Needless to say they are not on my xmas card list.

The Iveco replaced our MAN it was a super truck to train in and was so cheap and reliable I am sure had the regs not changed I would possibly have forgot my ten year rule.

Mercs as you say can be troublesome with age.

Volvo I like but again as you say unless older difficult to find as a manual.

Scanias we run Scanias and again I agree with you but a lot of our customers also run Scanias so it is a comfort thing for them.

Thanks for your comments much appreciated I think I need to blag a drive in a new 105 xf super space MMMMMMM