What to eat on nights out?

Now then.
I’ve done several nights out now and when it comes to my evening meal I’m starting to struggle to find anything I can cook in the truck.

I have a portable stove like most truckers but I was just wondering what most of you cook for tea? What sort of thing do you have? I understand there are those of you that prefer to eat at cafe’s or services but this is not my thing and would rather cook my own meal.

I’ve seen the new meals in bags but at £5.99 per meal I’m not sure I’m prepared to spend that much on one meal. Someone suggested chilli from a can and boil in the bag rice. Thats one meal. Anymore ideas would be greatfully accepted.
Gloria

P.S. I start a new job in the morning and I will be away all week and I’d rather not live off pot noddles. :smiley:

I tend to stick with tinned foods like mince, spuds,mixed veg etc can all go in the pan together ive tried taking
fresh stuff in the cool box but tend to find it gets wasted as dont always get to cook it before i worry it may not be safe

Try tesco ready meals like lasagne or bolognese type meals easy to cook on your stove and only a couple of quid each, mop up with a bit of bread and you’ve not got too much mess to wash up!

I have a 24 volt oven and buy ready meals from tesco (at the mo 3 for £5), a bit of choice like fish pie.chicken pie both with mash etc…like a curry now and then and sausage an mash. take a few small tins of veg and a few tins of fruit (in juice not syrup) cereal for brekkies as well as fruit. yoghurt’s and stuff. milk if you have a coolbox, 24 volt leccy kettle or gas one. and plenty of thos unscented wipes for a quick freshen up. :slight_smile:

I try to eat in French Routiers but keep the following as emergency rations in truck:-
Tin Tesco Chicken in White Wine Sauce
Tin Tesco New Potatoes
Tin Peach Slices

I think you need to go on the Luke Vernon in cab cooking course. :smiley:

Or buy tins of stew and Chilli and heat them up.
Or what I did when I had a fridge in the truck was make up some Spag Bol or Curry, put it in a small sealed tub and leave it in the fridge. then cook a bit of pasta or rice, add the Spag Bol or Curry. heat up, eat. :smiley:

Convenience of tins, but you know whats ingredients are it.

Tinned macaroni and cheese i could live of this stuff permanently. Have a walk down the tin aisle in the supermarket tons of stuff.

Or buy some fresh chicken kievs and fry them up maybe with some baby potatoes again from a tin. Just need to have some imagination its not all pot noodle doom and gloom :smiley:

I don’t have a cooker so tend to take one prepared to throw in someone’s microwave for one night, grab a baton with sumut for another, same baton with soup for next, an try and hit pub grub for one of the nights. If I hit a fifth it’s defo a curry.

Don’t have a meal as such during the day as I find it makes me tired, so as long as I can fill my flask, a few biscuits will do me. If I find a toaster then so much the better :smiley:

bacon butties.
strangled egg.
curry.
soup in a basket.

One of our lads gave me a tinned breakfast, I’m told it’s on the shelves in Morrisons & one of my girls ate it & said it was very nice but I’ve not tried it. If you’ve a cooker & a frying pan, a nice omlette with a few beans & bread & butter isn’t hard is it.

BB

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

Tuna, pasta and worcester sauce
Chicken, pasta and worcester sauce
Tinned currys and rice

Lamb :laughing:

Thetaff:
Lamb :laughing:

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

I tend to cook stuff like a spag bowl of meatballs at the weekend and freeze them then re-heat on a gas stove during the week, and before anyone points out i don’t keep them frozen all week i freeze them in my freezer at home then chuck them in my cool box on monday and it keeps them frozen for a day or two.
i tend to eat them on the monday or tuesday so they don;t complete thor out before i cook them.

Then i buy i bit of rump steak from co-op or tescos, you can get a decent cut of meat for £2-3, and i cook that up with boiled or mashed spuds that i make form scratch or home made chips that i make from scratch.
to make the chips i peal a few spuds and cut them into chips, then i part boil them, then fry them up in some heated cooking oil in a frying pan with a lid.

I also eat out of tins every now and again but i do prefer to cook my own food.

Rat.
Urban fox.
Rabbit.
Traffic warden.
and a clamper for supper.

youngwithaclass1:
I tend to cook stuff like a spag bowl of meatballs at the weekend and freeze them then re-heat on a gas stove during the week, and before anyone points out i don’t keep them frozen all week i freeze them in my freezer at home then chuck them in my cool box on monday and it keeps them frozen for a day or two.
i tend to eat them on the monday or tuesday so they don;t complete thor out before i cook them.

Then i buy i bit of rump steak from co-op or tescos, you can get a decent cut of meat for £2-3, and i cook that up with boiled or mashed spuds that i make form scratch or home made chips that i make from scratch.
to make the chips i peal a few spuds and cut them into chips, then i part boil them, then fry them up in some heated cooking oil in a frying pan with a lid.

I also eat out of tins every now and again but i do prefer to cook my own food.

Sounds like a good idea, I freeze pint bottles of semi skimmed milk & keep in my cool box, it’s surprising how long they keep the box cool while they’re thawing it. I like the idea of cooking a steak now & then, considering steak is cheaper than fish it’s a good idea, nice with a tin of spuds & a slice of B&B.

BB

Can highly recommend soup in a basket, leg of salmon and a bottle of chips, yummy.

Sapper

Fresh pasta with a tub of sauce to stir in. Job done. :wink:

i found some hot pots which have chill and rice, tikka and rice, spag bol, and some others made for microwave but you cook em in pan only a pound each. or tins off beans and chill