What planet..........

…do these ■■■■■■■ live on?
I read in last weeks Commercial Motor that in the Green Party’s election manifesto, their policy on transport is to reduce all trucks to 20 tonne GVW and move more freight onto the railway and canals.

bestbooties:
…do these [zb] live on?
policy on transport is to reduce all trucks to 20 tonne GVW and move more freight onto the railway and canals.

…and they wonder why they’re not in power:lol::lol::lol:

This was looked into years ago by some prof, can’t remember exact numbers but something like - to reduce road freight by 10% required 100% increase in rail freight rolling stock, new lines, shunting yards ect.

Even the greens would be shocked at the the amount of land required.

By having smaller vehicles would mean more vehicle journeys.
Using trains and canals, you still need cargo to be delivered direct to premises.Time would be lost on canals.
Manchester,Birmingham and London has many miles of canals, for non urgent goods, they could be used.
If they want to reduce trucks on the road, then stop buying cheap tat from a container from Taiwan.
Products made abroad are cheap, but marked up for the UK market.
A sofa made in China for £ 50, will be sold in the UK for £999, Tv ad will blurt out on sale for £ 799, hurry while stocks last, sale ends in two days.
The buyer thinks they have bagged a bargain.

bestbooties:
. their policy on transport is to reduce all trucks to 20 tonne GVW and move more freight onto the railway and canals .

Harry Monk will be happy :grimacing:

Horses and carts… it’s the future, vote for me…

just what you need a load of small vans at rush hour delivering what 2-3 trucks could.

numpties and a waste of a vote - same as anyone who votes lib dem.

bazstan009:
This was looked into years ago by some prof, can’t remember exact numbers but something like - to reduce road freight by 10% required 100% increase in rail freight rolling stock, new lines, shunting yards ect.

The ‘greens’ are actually only green on the outside but at least as red if not redder than the Labs on the inside.In which case,just like in the case of wanting to smother the south east in housing estates,it is no surprise that their transport policies are more or less the same as Labour’s.Meanwhile we can’t win because the Cons will just do what their Commy Chinese backers want them to do.Which is predictably along similar lines to Labour/‘Green’/SNP. :unamused:

Carryfast:

bazstan009:

The ‘greens’ are actually only green on the outside but at least as red if not redder than the Labs on the inside.In which case,just like in the case of wanting to smother the south east in housing estates,it is no surprise that their transport policies are more or less the same as Labour’s.Meanwhile we can’t win because the Cons will just do what their Commy Chinese backers want them to do.Which is predictably along similar lines to Labour/‘Green’/SNP. :unamused:

And there we have it, straight from the righteous pulpit of the all knowing carryfast. the most amazing font of human knowledge known to man, Scotland’s answer to the muppets.

yoyo5:

Carryfast:

bazstan009:

And there we have it, straight from the righteous pulpit of the all knowing carryfast. the most amazing font of human knowledge known to man, Scotland’s answer to the muppets.

:confused:

To be fair it doesn’t really take a font of human knowledge to know that all the political ruling elite are all a bunch of muppets.

UKIP probably being the least worst.Although they are obviously toast if they don’t get their act back together regards immigration and changing to a real anti federalist party that breaks up the union and gets us away from Scottish rule. :unamused:

What’s wrong with you lot, they’re only joking… ain’t they ?

Come on now Carryfast,tell me whatis so wrong with Scottish rule. :smiley:

worst thing about this is I actually know someone who think canals and rail is the future.

strangely go mardy when I said I like progress and being able to order things today and have them tomorrow not next week.

alamcculloch:
Come on now Carryfast,tell me whatis so wrong with Scottish rule. :smiley:

Nothing wrong with Scottish rule, as long as you keep it to your side of the wall,. and we stop being a cash cow to Scotland.,.